Sign in to follow this  
Berry Syedow

The Damnation of the Sea

thindexedgif.gif 17d

The D.O.S. is a heavily modified ship that was presented to Berry Syedow while marooned on the Discartes Island (otherwise known as the Island of the Dead). Presently he and his crew transport valuable goods around the Atticurb Kingdom.

The Captain, Berry Syedow:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/SirRupid...Sloop/dos12.jpg

An Overview of the ship:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/SirRupid...Sloop/dos02.jpg

(I was short one red flag...:-$)

The figurehead:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/SirRupid...Sloop/dos15.jpg

A shady passenger sound asleep:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/SirRupid...Sloop/dos14.jpg

Brickshelf Gallery when public.

EDIT: Updated with a few new pictures.

I like it, though hopefully once the folder goes public, there will be more pics. On thing that looks kind of odd to me is the sterncastle, it seems a bit high, and from the pics right now, I can't really see if there is a way to get up. Otherwise, a great ship. I love the sails.

*y* for playability *y* for design, provided there is a way to get to the top of that sterncastle.

I like it, though hopefully once the folder goes public, there will be more pics. On thing that looks kind of odd to me is the sterncastle, it seems a bit high, and from the pics right now, I can't really see if there is a way to get up. Otherwise, a great ship. I love the sails.

*y* for playability *y* for design, provided there is a way to get to the top of that sterncastle.

Hehe, yeah, the stern castle is a whee high. ;-)

Here's a link showing the staircase more closely:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/SirRupid...op/s4020887.jpg

I'm glad you like the sails. They look a bit better in the sun, but over all I'm pleased with 'em.

thats one sneaky staircase! very clever design. Does the port side have windows for the cabin? I imagine without it would get pretty dark in there. ANd those sails are quite different from the kind we usually see why did you choose that splotchy design and how did you do it might i ask? Overall this ship is fantastic great work!

thats one sneaky staircase! very clever design. Does the port side have windows for the cabin? I imagine without it would get pretty dark in there. ANd those sails are quite different from the kind we usually see why did you choose that splotchy design and how did you do it might i ask? Overall this ship is fantastic great work!

I'm afraid there isn't a window on the portside. I did take the window's into consideration. They just didn't look very good behind the archway. Luckily there's a lamp to comfort Berry from the darkness.

I colored the sails using cheap crayola black water color paint. When the sails were cut out I soaked them in water and then dabbed the black water color paint all over them. I proceeded to smear it all over. Then I dipped my finger into the paint and began flicking it onto the sails. I had to move them sadly, so the water slid off, along with my "creativity". So later after they were dry I sprinkled water over them and redid the process. I was outside so my sails were sitting atop a plastic outdoor table with a criss cross patter you might see in apple pies or baskets, which apparently left a soft pattern in the background.

Sheesh, what a mouthfull. :-$

I did the design to practice with water coloring. I believe it has potential for sail patterns and designs. In a way these are prototypes. I was also tiring of the overused white.

I've also been messing around with rope, so expect to see some more stuff from me. X-D

P.S. I need some sleep. I'll get back to you all in the morning!

This is a nice ship Mr. Syedow, I love those sails, but the railing should be raised up, right now it's kind of low. I'm confused about the pic with Captain Syedow, is he the one facing backwards looking out at the ocean (or at an approaching imperial flagship!)? I also agree about the height of the stern castle mentioned earlier.

This is a nice ship Mr. Syedow, I love those sails, but the railing should be raised up, right now it's kind of low. I'm confused about the pic with Captain Syedow, is he the one facing backwards looking out at the ocean (or at an approaching imperial flagship!)? I also agree about the height of the stern castle mentioned earlier.

Arr, he's the one steerin' the thing! That other guy is actually a guest appearance by Captain Red Beard. :-D

I would've made the railing higher, but I practically had *just enough* round pieces to finish the job (something like a skinny round piece ontop a regular round piece would've been good).

Thank you guys for the comments!

Looks good! everything I wanted too say is already said :-) the railing should be higher, the sterncastle is a bit too high.. Good job!

Kind of reminds me of my ship, mine has only a cargo hol for I feel as if I need to live like all my crew. After all, we need to know our pirates if we want things to run smooth in the ship. Very beautiful ship Berry, terorize the sea!

This ship is really cool *y*

I love the colors and stern architecture and the arches over the portholes. That figurehead is awesome too, I looks a scandinavian dragon or gothic gargoyle. *skull*

I don't believe the stern is too high but I do think you should raise the forecastle to balance it out a bit.

Looks good! everything I wanted too say is already said :-) the railing should be higher, the sterncastle is a bit too high.. Good job!

Thanks!

Kind of reminds me of my ship, mine has only a cargo hol for I feel as if I need to live like all my crew. After all, we need to know our pirates if we want things to run smooth in the ship. Very beautiful ship Berry, terorize the sea!

Willy, you're one of the few mates who've built a sloop, and on top of it I like it so it did serve as a bit of an inspiration.

Berry prefers not to be emotionally attached to his men. He's a man of mystery, surrounded by myths. Many of which he's spread himself.

This ship is really cool *y*

I love the colors and stern architecture and the arches over the portholes. That figurehead is awesome too, I looks a scandinavian dragon or gothic gargoyle. *skull*

Thank you! I tried my best to pay attention to the details.

I don't believe the stern is too high but I do think you should raise the forecastle to balance it out a bit.

I'll keep that in mind for my next ship.

I love the use of arches, and perhaps the sterncastle is too high, but you could raise the bow perhaps one or two blocks, that would make it look more into that period (with high sterncastles, there was usually a raised bow.) but i think it works likethis. This is a nice sloop for sure. I love the double bowsprit sails... don't see that often deployed on smaller lego ships.

I love the use of arches, and perhaps the sterncastle is too high, but you could raise the bow perhaps one or two blocks, that would make it look more into that period (with high sterncastles, there was usually a raised bow.) but i think it works likethis.

Like what ghoulrealm said, that's probably the best solution. I don't like to raise the bow because it ends up looking too jagged. If I had some brown or dark grey slopes I'd try something SNOTty, but alas I don't. Come Christmas time I'll visit bricklink for sure. 'Glad you liked the arches. :-)

This is a nice sloop for sure. I love the double bowsprit sails... don't see that often deployed on smaller lego ships.

Yep, one of my favorite aspects of the sloop.

The D.O.S. is a heavily modified ship that was presented to Berry Syedow while marooned on the Discartes Island (otherwise known as the Island of the Dead). Presently he and his crew transport valuable goods around the Atticurb Kingdom.

D.O.S! That'a classic!

So this is what Captain Syedow looks like! Its a wonder he has found his way into signature or avatar yet.

When I see the whole ship the thing that strikes me the most is the sails... What material are they made from and why did you choose cheap paint to decorate them with?

D.O.S! That'a classic!

For sure. ;-)

So this is what Captain Syedow looks like! Its a wonder he has found his way into signature or avatar yet.

Hey, I'll request an avatar if you think I've contributed enough quality posts.

When I see the whole ship the thing that strikes me the most is the sails... What material are they made from and why did you choose cheap paint to decorate them with?

They are made from classic printing paper. :-P The "cheap paint" decision was due to time constraints, and the fact that I was experimenting. (And I was anxious to finish my first Pirate MOC... over a hundred posts and nothing to show for it. :-|)

Speaking of which, I've come about some interesting techniques, (One involving salt in particular.). I'm simply having trouble replicating the effect, sufficiently.

In one of Richie Dulin(or legeaux) you mentioned something about that your mast was to short, now my questions are:

1. is this ship still standing

2. (To answer this, the answer on the previous question has to be yes) Have you take care of the short mast and lenghten it?

In one of Richie Dulin(or legeaux) you mentioned something about that your mast was to short, now my questions are:

1. is this ship still standing

2. (To answer this, the answer on the previous question has to be yes) Have you take care of the short mast and lenghten it?

Yes, the DOS is still standing (apart from a railing piece which I needed for another MOC). I plan to lengthen it fairly soon, maybe even today. With the ship's modification another story will be added.