Tygurah

POTC - Black Pearl!

One unusual consequence of this is the number of extra swords-- since most of the characters have swords and each bag with a sword needs to include an extra one, there's far more swords in the set than there are minifigures to wield them!

Typical for classic pirate ships, like my skull's eye schooner had more than enough swords and guns :pir-classic:

I can only be happy with that being the case in the black pearl set as well.

Thank you for showing the link. That really helps to see this ship. I planned on getting it anyway, but now that I see it "in person" I want it more. The back does look odd being built instead of with a hull, but oh well. I like the color scheme a lot. I think I am going to use the black bird from King Mountain Fortress for the statue to hold instead of the quill. But I'll wait and see in person.

Because this set is based off the version in Dead Man's Chest and Barbosa was in that movie for barely a minute.

So, has anybody seen this anywhere in the US yet? Any word if the Lego stores may get it before the retail chains? I'm hoping to grab two so I can combine them (along with lots of black bricks) into to the one from the games. From what I can tell, it looks like it was designed using real legos. I'd love to find a LDD model of it, anyone heard of one?

blackpearl.jpg

blackpearl1.jpg

Thanks for linking the review Dreamweb (and of course, thanks to the reviewer)!

It looks much better now, very solid design and amazing minifigs. However, I still don't think I'll be getting it. It's just missing the Black Pearl vibe for me, it looks like a generic black ship.

. . . I'd love to find a LDD model of it, anyone heard of one?

That's something I'd like to have a go at creating, but I need more reference first. Do you have more pics?

So, has anybody seen this anywhere in the US yet? Any word if the Lego stores may get it before the retail chains?

According to another big forum, which I won't mention for fear of being made to walk the plank as a traitorous dog :pir_laugh2: the set is actually in stock in many US Target stores but not yet put on shelves.

The crates may have a note on them to not put the set out before a certain date, but apparently the staff have been known not to read it and if you give a friendly one the DPCI number - DPCI: 204 00 0522 - they will go to the back and get one for you.

Target even has an online stock finder which will tell you if the Target in your zipcode has stock of the set yet for you to try your luck.

(And now I'm going to be made to walk the plank for not crediting this source of information!)

I wonder if it's the same in Australia? Time to brush up on the Jedi Mind Trick: "You will go out to the back and see if you have received The Black Pearl yet. What's that? No, I don't want a Star Wars set."

Edited by dotmike

Saw it at my local Target today (held it in my hands), didn't even know it was out yet. I haven't even bought QAR yet and now I need to save up for this one too! Just from box pics, BP looked like a better value for the money, IMHO.

Edited by steele

I visited 3 different toystores today and none of them had the Black Pearl... I was a bit disappointed but hey, let's hope they release the set in Belgium next week.

I'm really considering buying it, on condition it will be discounted :pir_laugh2:

Especially now that I've seen how the version in the game looks like, I want to replicate that version and the official set has the nescesary black hulls for that.

I agree, I want the version from the video game.....so time to get to work. I wish we had a LDD version of that one we could access...or at least some great closer in shots like the ones of the Dutchman that were posted. Mine had to

be transferred to the store...so hopefully I can pick mine up in a couple of hours. The set is a good jumping off point to build a better MOC.

Well, I tried two Targets and no luck. I'm only an hour from the Lego store in Orlando, so I may give them a call and see if they have it yet. I'm glad to see several others interested in building the version from the game. Please post lots of pics if you do so I can steal your ideas. :pir-blush: I wish there were better pictures online, but I can't find much. I do have the game, so maybe I can just pause it when it shows a good angle. Here are three more photos I found:

blackpearlz.jpg

blackpcopie.jpg

pearl.jpg

I got mine earlier yesterday and been working all night and day to bring you this build!

Hope you enjoy!

P.S. youtube didn't automatically credit the soundtrack I used like with my other video, and I'm trying to upload it legally so if anyone is good with youtube and get help me out let me know please!

I'm a bit surprised so many people prefer the video game one to the set. While it's more accurate both to the film depiction of the Black Pearl and to the structure of a real ship, it's also waaaaay larger than the scale that is typical for LEGO pirate ships. In the City theme that would be a deal-breaker for many people-- they already complain about the size of vehicles, boats, and aircraft, although in this case the complaints are more about large <insert that tiresome argument> pieces than about the size being inaccurate (and <insert that tiresome argument> pieces are pretty much par for the course with LEGO pirate ships, as it's difficult otherwise to replicate the hull shape).

There's also the fact that, as seen in the screenshots posted a few posts up, the parts of the video game's Black Pearl are sometimes deliberately out-of-proportion. Compare the size of the rigging to the size of the cannons. Of course, I guess a ship this size would only be useful as a display piece (like the UCS Star Wars sets), and so you might as well use actual string for the rigging.

There's also the fact that, as seen in the screenshots posted a few posts up, the parts of the video game's Black Pearl are sometimes deliberately out-of-proportion. Compare the size of the rigging to the size of the cannons. Of course, I guess a ship this size would only be useful as a display piece (like the UCS Star Wars sets), and so you might as well use actual string for the rigging.

There's nothing out of proportion when you compare cannons with rigging. Take a closer look at those cannons and you'll see they are not the regular (shooting) ones, they are built from several different parts and are smaller.

I got mine earlier yesterday and been working all night and day to bring you this build!

Hope you enjoy!

That's a very good video! I would never have the patience to do that - I'd just build the thing as fast as possible! :pir-classic: It definitely deserves being blogged on our website!

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]...soon!

EDIT: Let us embed your film here as well!

Wow this is awesome! Thanks I feel so honored lol. I didn't know videos were eligible to be blogged lol.

I tried to get the build up as fast as possible because I knew I got the set pretty early and wanted to give a detailed look at it for everyone interested in buying it. Glad to see its getting noticed!

Anything is eligible as long as it is interesting and connected to LEGO Pirates! Be it a film, a MOC, a review, a written story etc. :pir-classic: