Tygurah

POTC - Black Pearl!

Did I miss a thread? There have been at least two sightings of the box on European toy shelves and there is one on eBay.

So it's out (albeit not officially until November 1).

4184-1-470x352.jpg

So... Why haven't one of you cheap pirates got on a train to Poland, picked one up, and done a review?! :pir-grin:

Edited by dotmike

4184-1-470x352.jpg

So... Why haven't one of you cheap pirates got on a train to Poland, picked one up, and done a review?! :pir-grin:

WOW! That's a surprise. We really need some heads-up here!

Holy Cow this is quite the surprise.

I'd review it if I could get my hands on one.

I had a feeling the release date of November 1st would somehow mean October 1st. :pir_laugh2:

So it's out (albeit not officially until November 1).

4184-1-470x352.jpg

I know where this shop is! It's in Warsaw and in fact I visit it sometimes.

The price is 409 PLN, which is about 93 €.

Attention all French fans of Lego! My son spotted the Black Pearl at TRU La Rochelle. A women brought it out by mistake, thinking it was the QAR. My son immediately asked how much it was. It was 129.99 Euros, a large price tag, but definately worth every penny. And let me tell you, the box art does not do the set justice. It is HUGE, very detailed, and quite accurate. Problem is, the stairs block the rear cannon holes. Quite annoying, but can be modified. If anyone sees this around, pick it up.

:jollyroger:

If someone in the Netherlands or Belgium spots this beauty, let me know! Don't think it will be available this weekend but I can dream. :pir-blush:

I don't venture into the Pirate forums very often, so I apologize in advance if this image has been posted already-

Loving these minifigures! :pir-sweet:

I do believe this is considered old news, but instead of complaining, I'm just going to look at them and go Ahhhhhhh. I want them.

I don't venture into the Pirate forums very often, so I apologize in advance if this image has been posted already-

*snip*

Those minifigs are really cool. Can't wait to get my hands on them! I do wish that instead of another Will, they'd give us a new crew member, like Marty or Cotton. Then we might finally see how you can get a parrot on a minifigs shoulder!

584px-4184_figures.jpg

:pir-wub: I was hoping there would be some printing in Davy Jones' tentacles, but I'm not going to be too picky here. These figs are awesome!

I am not as critical on this set as others i think its a nice solid ship compared to the QAR that seems to fall apart every time i glance in its general direction. this one doesn't have some many ginger breading type pieces.

I wonder what kind of printing might be on Davy Jones's torso and face underneath that tentacle-beard. I think it would be excellent if he had his key printed on his torso underneath his beard, even if it wouldn't serve much of a functional purpose during play since his beard-tentacles can't flex independently. His face under his tentacle-beard also wouldn't serve much purpose, but it could potentially give the face more versatility, maybe as one of his more generic sea-creature-crewmates in MOCs.

His hat would be excellent on a skeleton or something in a sunken ship.

Also, while I had already seen that his claw appears to be Medium Nougat, I hadn't observed that his peg-leg seems to be the same color! That might become a popular item for people wanting more variety in their pirates.

Overall, if this is the end of the PotC line, it'll be a shame to see it go with this quality of minifigures. I'd have loved to see characters like Tia Dalma as minifigures. Perhaps the theme might come back when another movie is over the horizon, though.

Ah, those minifigures look so good,

But is it really worth buying the expensive set just for the minifigures ?

Besides the minifigures there isn't really anything else that makes this set interesting for me, the black hulls are incomplete in my opinion (missing a stern part) and the new sails seem of lower quality than classic pirates sails.

Yep definitely want this set now :pir-classic:

Although I would have liked to see a side profile view of the ship.

(EDIT: I meant a more direct side view of the ship)

Edited by Nightshroud99

The set looks a lot better in persom, it is bulkier than the pictures from the box it seems, still I will wait for more info, and of course more reviews.

:jollyroger:

One of our moderators has bought this marvelous set and posted review at LUGPol's reviews forum:

http://www.lugpol.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?p=204217

Thanks so much for sharing the link!

I love the super-excellent LEGO-fied flag in this set. With LEGO swords and a slightly squared-off skull, it feels like it fits into a LEGO PotC universe (or just a regular LEGO Pirates universe) far better than the one in the QAR.

The ship itself is mighty impressive, both in scale and in design. The stern is extremely stylish, much more so than I expected. The build also lends itself to a unique-looking vessel, with the unusual hull in the aft section of the ship. The sails aren't really significantly different than those of the QAR, but that's OK because those sails were plenty stylish on their own. I can't say I'd have preferred printing on the sails to give it that patchy look from the second film; the simplicity of plain black sails feels much more elegant.

The interior of the ship isn't too fantastic-- it bothers me how few cannons there are, although my twin brother points out that those dual stairways could be used for recreating movie scenes with at least a vague feeling of authenticity. The captain's cabin isn't exciting, but it gets the job done. I like the top, rear, and sides all open.

The bow of the ship is much better than I expected. I suppose part of this is because of the wings, which weren't particularly noticeable on the dark-colored box art we had seen but which fill in the gappy area just enough to make a difference. And I like the clever way they are done-- it would have been better if they were higher on the back, but I suppose that wouldn't be possible with that hair piece. Incidentally, I am still displeased with the bird (sparrow?) she is holding, because it still looks more like a quill to me than anything else. Maybe an Exo-Force robot hand clip piece could help? Or maybe taht would just make it look like she was holding a quill with a fork. :tongue:

Minifigures are of course excellent. The new figs' expressions capture the characters perfectly, while still maintaining LEGO-appropriate levels of simplicity and charm. The sea-creature-bits from Davy Jones's crew are somewhat limited in use due to all the barnacles and other "printed greebles" on them, but they still look pretty spiffy. Overall I am very impressed with this ship, and it certainly has all the quality it needs for its price point (at least, as a part of a licensed theme, relative to the QAR).

I don't remember seeing it before in other sets, but now the black bricks are outlined in white to distinguish from dk. grey. Good solution IMO for the colour problem

The model does look promissing, though some details still seems very odd. The part under the cabbin is awful and the rudder? It fits more to a 50W motor boat, not the ship ...

The minifigs are awesome, but they too have a flaw. The first one is their selection as discussed before, do we really need another Gibs and Will, with so many characters still missing. And on the Daavy Jones' crew part, I think they really miss the leg printings. Their legs just look too clean. Hadras is a nice example how it should be done.

Still can't wait to get my hands on this piece!

The BP is as big as the QAR, and opening sides....I like it ! :pir-grin:

Thanks 'M_Longer' for the link to that review. :pir-sweet:

I actually consider this better than the QAR as well. :pir-wink:

I don't remember seeing it before in other sets, but now the black bricks are outlined in white to distinguish from dk. grey. Good solution IMO for the colour problem

It used to be done for black Technic pins, but not for black parts in general since before my lifetime (6890 is one example from the 1980s). It's interesting that it's now being used for all pieces once more.

Other quirks visible in the instructions include that the minifigures for this set are all in different bags, so instead of building them all at the beginning of the set, each minifigure comes with a different section of the ship. Has this been done with any other recent sets? I can't decide whether I like or dislike this design decision.

One unusual consequence of this is the number of extra swords-- since most of the characters have swords and each bag with a sword needs to include an extra one, there's far more swords in the set than there are minifigures to wield them!