Tygurah

POTC - Black Pearl!

So, when is the next toy convention this might show up at? If there is any before its released.

^ Comic Con in San Diego is coming up in a couple weeks. That's were the first rumor of a PotC line first originated (With Jack sparrow riding a lama in a Prince of Persia display)

Maybe they'll have some good stuff there?

The word I have seen regarding the AU release of the BP is that it will come to Australia but only to a few stores and not all of them.

The word I have seen regarding the AU release of the BP is that it will come to Australia but only to a few stores and not all of them.

Let me guess...like I said Myer....or maybe DJ's ! :pir-blush:

So does this mean it's an exclusive store release worldwide or just us in the land of Oz ? :pir-wink:

According to the pictures they haven't worked out the piece count yet. Hopefully that means that they might add a few extra parts to the bow of the ship. The figurehead looks like she's in mid air.. and where are her wings? The Black Pearl bow sticks out further than this and it has more curves leading down to the figurehead.

At least we are getting a few interesting looking characters Davy Jones and Maccus. Hope they give Maccus his sword fish weapon. The rest of the Pearl crew is pretty generic looking, Cotton, Marty, Ragetti and Pintel we can always build them using parts we already have.

Can we have a Jack the monkey painted with a skeleton pattern??

Maccus doesn't use the swordfish weapon...

Edited by On Stranger Tides

I'm alos a bit dissapointed in the set, if only the minifigures are interesting the set is not worth buying I think and this is the case here.

The new minifigures are awesome but the ship doesn't maintain that tendency. When I first saw it I thought the Black hull's would be cool but upon taking a closer look I noticed there's no sternsection at all. Not very useful for MOCs.

Especially as an owner of the QAR I notice the Black Pearl wouldn't add much to my collection (except for the minifigures but I have a strict policy on that, minifigs may never be the main cause I buy a set)

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

Found this via bricklink a few minutes ago.

https://exoneit.de/default.asp?ex=shop:produktedetail.asp&Artikel_id=103054&kat_id=7251

Official unwatermarked images.

Doesn't appear to be any different than preliminary pictures, but the prelim pics were so bad I could hardly make out anything.

Not really liking how they're going back to the old way of hanging the sails, I thought the new method seen in the new IFS and Brickbeard's Bounty did a much better job of looking like the sails were catching wind and making it less prone to sagging and wrinkling...

I adore the new minifigs (Bootstrap Bill even has a brown headscarf!), but the ship itself is really nothing to write home about. It's black with a bit of grey, and that's that. :sceptic:

I think I'll just buy the new figs from Bricklink after the release of the set...

Thanks 'yys4u' for the link, those images are great....only now my son has asked for the QAR and when he sees this.....man, how I'm I only to hide two pirate ships from his mum/my wife ? :pir-laugh:

The minifigs look totally AWESOME - I now will wait to read a review of the BP and then I'll decide if I locate extra funds for this ship or not. :pir-grin:

Keep on drinking rum ! :pir-grin:

...the ship itself is really nothing to write home about. It's black with a bit of grey, and that's that...

Well, it was almost certain that this Black Pearl will be a failed set. In fact it was a wrong dicision to release a Black Pearl (with a low piece count) this year. It would've been more sensible to release the HMS Interceptor instead. Why? It's smaller than the BP/QAR, the afterdeck of the ship is way lower...simply it has a much less complicated design than the BP, resulting in a lower piece count.

Even the minifigs don't make sense. Davy Jones, Bootstrap and that fish-guy all belong to the Dutchman. Instead there should be Gibbs, the guy with the parrot, Barbossa, the small guy and/or Elisabeth.

Well, I hope that they'll release an "exclusive" Black Pearl...maybe that'll be worth buying it.

Best regards.

Wellington

Call me crazy, but I actully like the Pearl the way it is.

It seems a bit more.....Lego-y, which I think is great.

The Megabl*ks one is no better, and most probably worse.

The figure selection is great.

I love that they are including Davy Jones and his crew and Jack and his crew.

About there only being 3 people to man the ship. You are meant to get the other sets to build up a crew.

Like the Island of Death to get Elizabeth Swann.

Luckily, we already have that set.

As for Jack not having his hat, the set is based off Dead man's chest, and if I remember correctly, Jack's hat flies off in the wind to another ship, where the Kraken eats the ship.

Thats my opinion anyway.

Even at they havent done anything to the backcabin, im gonna get this set for sure! Thanks for those pictures yys4u.

Captain Becker

I have collected every lego pirate ship ever made even the Queens Anns Revenge but this is one I am not getting ...it doesnt look too appealing and considering kids are the main target audience I would of assumed that lego would of made it more attractive plus I dont like that it is very low and by that I mean the hull and everything looks soo cramped and lacking any detail whatsoever........I think this was a bad choice by lego to end this years wave of this theme with something like this.

Thanks yys4u and Benbrick, those pictures are very good. Although I would have prefered it to be a two-decker, it would have to have a bigger price tag. I think there should be at least 3 rows of cannons as the current state of the ship is a bit short and it reminds me of the recent pirate ship in 2008. I also feel the minifigures are out of place. The fish guy, Bootstrap Bill and Davy Jones should, as Wellington said, be on the Flying Dutchman. They should have instead added crew, whether they be movie-accurate or not. I feel having only 3 people on a ship is a bit empty.

Edited by Zilcho

Thanks yys4u and Benbrick, those pictures are very good. Although I would have prefered it to be a two-decker, it would have to have a bigger price tag. I think there should be at least 3 rows of cannons as the current state of the ship is a bit short and it reminds me of the recent pirate ship in 2008. I also feel the minifigures are out of place. The fish guy, Bootstrap Bill and Davy Jones should, as Wellington said, be on the Flying Dutchman. They should have instead added crew, whether they be movie-accurate or not. I feel having only 3 people on a ship is a bit empty.

I agree at some of the minifigs are a bit our of its place, but i actually like at they included Davy Jones in this set. If you think the ship is a bit too short, you can always buy two of them. (At least i am if they show up in my local stores) You can add some sort of deck in there if you like, i did that on my QAR wich has now totally 10 guns, wich two are turnable. And they should have replaced Hammerhead shark guy, and Bootstrap Bill whit Pintel and Ragetti IMO.

Captain Becker

I think the ship look really good, the likeness is good enough. Curious to see the back of the cabin. Is the map new?

Also whats on the back of the figurehead?

...I hate the piece they use to hold the flag, the piece they use as railing would look much better.

Well, it was almost certain that this Black Pearl will be a failed set. In fact it was a wrong dicision to release a Black Pearl (with a low piece count) this year. It would've been more sensible to release the HMS Interceptor instead. Why? It's smaller than the BP/QAR, the afterdeck of the ship is way lower...simply it has a much less complicated design than the BP, resulting in a lower piece count.

Even the minifigs don't make sense. Davy Jones, Bootstrap and that fish-guy all belong to the Dutchman. Instead there should be Gibbs, the guy with the parrot, Barbossa, the small guy and/or Elisabeth.

Well, I hope that they'll release an "exclusive" Black Pearl...maybe that'll be worth buying it.

Best regards.

Wellington

I agree at some of the minifigs are a bit our of its place, but i actually like at they included Davy Jones in this set. If you think the ship is a bit too short, you can always buy two of them. (At least i am if they show up in my local stores) You can add some sort of deck in there if you like, i did that on my QAR wich has now totally 10 guns, wich two are turnable. And they should have replaced Hammerhead shark guy, and Bootstrap Bill whit Pintel and Ragetti IMO.

Captain Becker

Everybody's saying things like this... personally, I don't think that any plan like this allows for a good balance of "good guys" and "bad guys", even if you take into account the dubious morality of many of the characters. While I'd have loved figs of Pintel and Ragetti, having Davy Jones or Barbossa as the only "bad guy" on the ship would have made role-play with this set fairly boring. The Queen Anne's Revenge, of course, only has one "good guy" (Jack Sparrow, unless I'm still in the dark about some characters' affiliations-- haven't seen the new movie yet), but I think that gets a pass because that one good guy is, of course, Jack Sparrow. :pir_laugh2:

Anyway, I'm generally in favor of the fig selection of this set, even if it doesn't give us any Black Pearl crew members we didn't already have. Davy Jones and Maccus are both very well-designed. What color are Davy Jones's claw and peg-leg? Looks kinda like Medium Nougat (BL's Medium Dark Flesh), or maybe Dark Orange. Also, his claw is a new piece that seems to be an alternate hand piece rather than an accessory. I'm kinda bummed that he doesn't make use of the claw from this year's Atlantis sets, but this one suits him better. Bootstrap's headgear is new in Dark Red as well (I think it's Dark Red; could be Reddish Brown).

As for the set itself, I'm still moderately impressed. It's not anything outstanding, but it's a respectable pirate ship set. I'm disappointed that the figurehead still looks like it's hovering, with nothing holding it in place behind it besides a single hinge. But I do love the deck of the ship and Jack's cabin. I wish there were pictures of the ship's stern-- probably nothing outstanding, but it'd be nice to see it from a different angle.

^^ Good observation about the thing on the back of the figurehead, I can't make it out though...

I agree with most people, hate the minifig selections. I mean, I understand LEGO wants two faction sides to increase playability, but I was really hoping for some more generic pirates for MOCs. I think to date there's only 3 generic pirates from the PotC sets.

Edited by yys4u

I am in dubio here. The ship looks pretty basic and the parts used are nothing special; with the exception of the black log bricks. There is definitively not much detail and it looks more like a floating fortress than a ship. :pir-sceptic:

On the other hand, the figs are very nice. Additionally, I do like the overall shape of the ship and (especially) the cabin. Moreover, there is definitively room for modifications.

I may still buy it for these reasons. This will probably be a set that I will grow to like after modding it. The same happened to me with the mill set from. Quite often the apparently somewhat flawed sets are better than the good looking ones. We'll see...

For such an iconic ship to the entire POTC movie franchise this ship really blows (in detail, size, number of canons offered) especially in comparrison to Black Beard's ship recently released. If there were two things LEGO didn't need to get wrong it was the design of Jack Sparrow (which thankfully they got right) and the design of the Black Pearl (which they fumble on). Come on LEGO you can do much, much better. :thumbdown:

Edited by gcanik

Actually now I have seen all the images it isn't as bad as pre-empted.

The figures look really great (I had no doubt about that though)

Also the cabin is enclosed :pir-grin: (with a brown door!)

Do I spot a brown bandana? :pir-wub:

However it still has some flaws such as the fact it hasn't got a stern piece (even if it is more movie accurate without)

Also I still thing the exterior of the cabin could look better.

Sails need more rigging

Flag is the same as BB? (If so then I think that it is too cartoony)

Needs more cannnons!

P.S the figurehead has something weird on her back?

:jollyroger:

EDIT: P.S.S Wings, they must be the wings! Hopefully they are a new mould.

Edited by halfpenguinhalflego

I think that the wings of the figurehead will be the conventional feather plumes that are used for hats, or the tricorns... :)

Flag is the same as BB? (If so then I think that it is too cartoony)

No. BB Has bones under the skull, this has swords under the skull :pir-wub: Not same at all.

Captain Becker