New update- 1/22/12

6746065409_7d90767be6_z.jpg

6746064945_c1c4106e32_z.jpg

New update- 10/9/11

6227114075_d507ea6bc3_z.jpg

6227114705_3129218128_z.jpg

Edit 2. More pictures in the 7th post.

5863858423_19b3c4c752_z.jpg

I have started a new ship a while ago. I have used inspiration from Captain Green Hair's ship building and Dread Pirate Wesley's ship, and of course some of my own.

I started this ship about a month ago and here is the progress. Enjoy!

5822724213_5e585f31f3_z.jpg

5823289108_83071bfb02_z.jpg

5822725775_94d4a90e60_z.jpg

And here is my cannon design.

5823292484_256fb22ed5_z.jpg

3 more photos at my Flickr

Hope you enjoyed, please C&C.

Edited by Darth Yogi

I love the colour scheme and some details of the stern very much! But if I might add some suggestions: if this shall be a frigate, it could use a third mast and a bit more length as frigates are always fully rigged vessels. That said, on smaller vessels of that era like frigates and sloops (your ship would seem more like a sloop to me, especially for the number of cannons), the bowsprite would be leaving the ships's mainhull at about the height of the main deck. This way, the bow could continue a bit more in order to give the ship more stability while pitching. But since you do not differentiate into different deck scetions, yet (e.g. you haven't built a forecastle, yet), it might be just and error of judgement that your bowsprite seems to be a lowered a litte too much.

Edited by Horry

It's a rather nice ship already. I like the colourscheme and especially the bell design.

My only nitpicks are that on the stern view, the hull seems quite edgy where it hits the water.

And I would place the cannons on the forecastle in a way that it 'checkers' with the cannons on the main gundeck.

But overall it's a nice ship. Keep it up :thumbup:

Has the makings of a nice Brig of war IMO, the colour scheme looks a lot like those used by the British navey during 1800's in Australia but could easily be Dutch of French too. I was at the museum today and there where quite a few paintings of brigs that looked just like yours.

Keep us updated.

I have started a new ship a while ago. I have used inspiration from Captain Green Hair's ship building and Dread Pirate Wesley's ship, and of course some of my own.

5822725775_94d4a90e60_z.jpg

Glad to see my bow technique in use on a smaller scale ship! Looks quite good in my opinion, and thanks for the credit :thumbup: I also quite like the stern, though Im curious what the gold telescope is for... lantern? It does look a bit sharp at the stern waterline, I used a series of wedge plates to make that look a little smoother like this:

5781410301_0aeb6e34c4.jpg

Its not a great solution but Im sure with some tinkering you could make it work. Keep it up!

:jollyroger: Dread Pirate Wesley

Thanks for all the comments.

I just bought official boat parts on Bricklink, (with 5 middle pieces, dark brown), so will be doing a lot of reworking. But I will keep the same general colors and some details. So now I just need to wait a little, and finish up my schooner, and maybe make a figure head.

I've made some new updates with the new pieces I got.

5863858423_19b3c4c752_z.jpg

I used a combination of CGH's technique, and inverted slopes.

5864409530_38d4b41f01_z.jpg

I need to make this higher, this is still preliminary but here's the bow.

5863849507_ebc80a7772_z.jpg

More pictures at my Flickr

Thanks for looking. C&C is appreciated.

Hmmm I must admit I was excited to see how you would mate your original design to hull pieces, but now it looks as though you've changed it to a more traditional design. Sure it wasnt too frigate like originally, more of an old fashioned brig, but it had character. I know these are only preliminary designs, but I liked the original better.

That being said, one suggestion Id make since you're using new hull pieces is just leave off the top half of the bow and stern. I think it would be very difficult to make an attractive gunline curve if you have to go from the top of the upper bow piece down to the top of the mid sections. For a much longer ship maybe, but for a ship that size I think it will look saggy in the middle. It's still a good start and I look forward to seeing where you take it from here!

:jollyroger: Dread Pirate Wesley

Darth Yogi,

Great progress so far. It looks a bit like a brig to me, with size, masts and number of cannon. I suggest you make the widest part of the ship to be further forward. A ship, such as this, generally isn't widest in the center.

Duke

Looking great! A huge improvement over the first post. :thumbup:

I like the long headrails, even if they're not entirely realistic they give the ship a very sleek look. And the colorscheme matches the figurehead perfectly.

The only thing I don't quite like is the stern, I think it's too bulky and round but I'm not sure. I'll leave that to the masters. :pir-grin:

Keep it up!

You've made some excellent progress!

Although I'm usually not very fond of black masts, it really suits this ship.

Perhaps it's because the rest of the ship is so realistic, then the black looks realistic too.

I'm not sure about the yards though. Perhaps you should make them longer.

Otherwise, the main and fore sail will get this sail2.png shape instead of thissail1.png.

And you could make the mastheads look more like this:

Eselshaupt.jpg

So you'll have the big square block on top of the masthead instead of in the middle.

Good luck! :pir-classic:

Thanks for the comments.

You've made some excellent progress!

Although I'm usually not very fond of black masts, it really suits this ship.

Perhaps it's because the rest of the ship is so realistic, then the black looks realistic too.

I'm not sure about the yards though. Perhaps you should make them longer.

Otherwise, the main and fore sail will get this sail2.png shape instead of thissail1.png.

And you could make the mastheads look more like this:

-snip-

So you'll have the big square block on top of the masthead instead of in the middle.

Good luck! :pir-classic:

Thanks, it's great to hear a great shipbuilder like you likes it. I hadn't actually finished the yards. some don't even have anything. But I don't know what the proportions for the should be, since I have no views of the ship I'm using straight on shot of the yards. Any suggestions would help. Also thanks for the tip on the mastheads

But I don't know what the proportions for the should be, since I have no views of the ship I'm using straight on shot of the yards. Any suggestions would help.

Well your ship isn't really based on one real ship is it?

So if you take measurements from HMS Trincomalee or USS Constitution, I think it will look good.

Or you keep the current height of your masts and just use one of these as measurements.

Well your ship isn't really based on one real ship is it?

So if you take measurements from HMS Trincomalee or USS Constitution, I think it will look good.

Or you keep the current height of your masts and just use one of these as measurements.

Thanks.

I started this shortly after visiting the USS Constitution, so some details, and color are inspired by that. Then I used a picture in a book for size proportions, like length to height of masts and how far apart they are. But the details are not taken from that.

I am really likening her so far. For some reason I'm particularly fond of her color scheme :pir_wacko: On that issue I have a concern though. Those white bands on the masts don't seem quite period even if they are stylish. Most tall ships did have some sort of bands on the masts, made either of rope or iron, which discouraged splitting as the pole flexed under wind pressure. Your's being white seem to be neither. Were you attempting to model such bands with those white prices or are they something else? Perhaps you are just short on bricks and making the best of what you have, a situation I can fully understand. I wouldn't suggest changing them for style, they look kind of sharp, withe on black. If I noticed this however, you can bet someone else will too.

Your stern gallery is also quite acctractive and I like how you've given it a tilt of it's own, following the tumble home. I don't recall seeing another Lego ship successfully simulate that particular feature before. The single pane windows on the sides, look rather precarious though and I wonder how you have them secured. Are they locked in place in any way and do you find it a particularly convenient method to work with?

Thanks for sharing and keep building!

I am really likening her so far. For some reason I'm particularly fond of her color scheme :pir_wacko: On that issue I have a concern though. Those white bands on the masts don't seem quite period even if they are stylish. Most tall ships did have some sort of bands on the masts, made either of rope or iron, which discouraged splitting as the pole flexed under wind pressure. Your's being white seem to be neither. Were you attempting to model such bands with those white prices or are they something else? Perhaps you are just short on bricks and making the best of what you have, a situation I can fully understand. I wouldn't suggest changing them for style, they look kind of sharp, withe on black. If I noticed this however, you can bet someone else will too.

Your stern gallery is also quite acctractive and I like how you've given it a tilt of it's own, following the tumble home. I don't recall seeing another Lego ship successfully simulate that particular feature before. The single pane windows on the sides, look rather precarious though and I wonder how you have them secured. Are they locked in place in any way and do you find it a particularly convenient method to work with?

Thanks for sharing and keep building!

Thanks! Glad you liked and thanks very much for the suggestions.

I'm really no ship expert, but I'd like to make this ship as accurate as possible. I had the bands as if they were painted, but I'll make them pure black now. Actually I'd like to make them brown at some point but I need to wait a while before getting any more parts. About the stern, the widows are customized to allow them to fit very nicely into a grill and they fit perfectly and are stable and I've had no problem with them.

Edited by Darth Yogi