lgorlando

CC Super Modular: Downtown Metro

Greetings! It's Summer Break so let the big building begin!

How do you fit your entire city center on one 32 x 32 baseplate?

I call it the "Super-Stack Modular"!

5779712852_9aa589a2fb_z.jpg

Designed to bring a metropolis look and feel to the modular series, while maintaining limited real-estate, minimal brick count, broad yet realistic colorization, as well as "Lego Playability". This 8 story city center relies on clever frame work, mathematical proportions, strategic focal points and vertical distribution.

5779712848_d2252c3f83_z.jpg

There are 16 modular sections each proportioned carefully so that the taller buildings could reconfigure anywhere on the upper level. The base is actually one large "mantel", and it is the most complex of the design. The mantel design was proportioned in "3D" to achieve the magic of independent buildings collaborating beneath a rising city skyline. Because it needs to support the remaining 15 modular structures, the frame work is weaved with layers of intersecting beams throughout. There is a thick "mother" plate independent of the mantel that helps keep the top building flat and stable.

5779712826_375df5d32e_z.jpg

5779712842_1209c88dc7_z.jpg

Each of the top buildings is re-configurable so that you can customize the skyline.

5779712832_369025f0d6_z.jpg

I focused on a corner center that would merge a residential building like the Green Grocer with a commercial building like the Emporium. The Dark Red Building blends into commercial, while the large gothic tower merges with residential.

5779712822_2fe3dfc230_z.jpg

It was a very challenging design (6 months) tedious build (5 weeks) but the effect is most pleasing!

Life's been busy but I am happy to share with you all when I can.

Thanks so much!

-lg

Edited by lgorlando

AWESOME modular creation 'lgorlando', such high rise detail is just fantastic ! :grin:

Excellent work and Brick On 'lgorlando' ! :grin:

WOW! The detail is great, sadly my break starts in June 17th. :cry_sad:

The look of a whole block of these would make it a amazing sight. I would love to see

a series. :classic:

This is terrific. The buildings are clustered together nicely, definitely separate yet matching together, they appear to be slightly on the small side but in no way compromise on detail. Great work. :sweet:

Fantastic build Igorlando! This stacked modular building concept is quite ingenious and very realistic too as it's reminiscent of real-world clustered multi-functional buildings. I like it a lot as it looks very lively and busy, great job! :thumbup:

Another wow from me.

This is just brilliant and fits in beautifully with the other two regular sized modulars.

A real triumph, very well done.

:classic: :classic:

very good! and thanx for sharing! now let's just hope that down there at tlg someone is reading this post and thinking to include this idea in one of their next modular buildings!

do you have a more or less piece count in mind?

have a nice lego day

mrBlue

Edited by mrblue

My opinion, this is the best City MOC I've seen in 2011... by far !

Eventually One tiny default, this is not really playable...

Five bricks :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Wow! A very good idea wonderfully executed. It manages to give the that feeling of a metropolis without being too imposing, which is very well done for something so tall. And the detailing is superb.

I just love that low-perspective shot. Amazing!

I love the details on the bottom building. I thought it looked nice and then I saw the picture of how it fit with the Green Grocer and Emporium, then I just thought, "Wow." Amazing job. :sweet:

Amazing! The skyline idea is very clever and combined with GG and GE it looks totally awesome. Fantastic work!

Edited by Adrian86

Absolutely stunning- love the 'false perspective'- didn't think it would possibly work on such a tiny 'footprint'- but evidently it does, so well done you!

It is difficult enough to make small-format Lego dioramas not look overly cluttered but you have managed to cram a whole block in without overwhelming the viewer- by concentrating the 'eye candy' on the foreground and leaving the apparently much larger buildings relatively plain and in more subdued colours.

oh...oh...it's wonderful....amazing,it is an icredible composition:thumbup:

Very nice !!!

I especially love the big variety of things in this MOC.

I must say that it makes very big town feeling.

Incredible... beautiful addition to any modular city, or even just on it's own... great work!

Very clever take on the 32 x 32 modular platform! I really love the rooflines of the base buldings.

Another stunner, lgorlando! This is an extremely clever way to do a modular, and the details are just great. :classic:

The little details that caught my eyes were the street signs on the light post and the newspaper boxes - both so simple yet completely brilliant. I might need to "borrow" the latter for my next MOC. :laugh:

what was the official brick count? you said you were trying to keep it down?

what was the official brick count? you said you were trying to keep it down?

Brick count is about 3500 give or take a 100 or so.

The more I look at this, the more amazed I am!

First the corner MOD, the the addition of the GE and the GG.

This really gives me something to shoot for.

Thanks for sharing this.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Excellent MOC! It was a great idea to make a modular building with taller towers on top to create a skyline. It looks great alongside the GE and GG. :thumbup:

Extremely well done. :classic:

~buddy~

I visited New York last month, and this MOC really brings me back to the streets and avenues of Manhattan. It really looks like a skyline made out of several buildings instead of just one mismatched construction. That's not an easy feat to accomplish, so I applaud you for that!

Like others, I'm loving the attention for details you have. The MOC actually feels like a part of a metropolis.

I would've liked to see it from the back as well, though. And the pieces arranged in different ways would be cool to see too.

This is really a beautiful creation lgorlando. You've managed to create the atmosphere of a modern metropolis and I love the fact that it's assymetrical - different buildings (from different eras perhaps) being placed together create a majestic and an extremely close to reality result.

Great work! :thumbup:

Dang, this is crazy. I can't tell, but are the top buildings to scale with the rest? They kinda seem smaller to give the illusion of height.

BTW, any more detailed pics?

Edited by prateek