Sign in to follow this  
Hollander

Z56 air speeder

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Hallo there folks,

So, after my first MOC since the dark ages, the Republic Cargo Transport, I've been working on a new project: a medium-sized air speeder. It was ment to be minifig-scale first, but after the cockpit was designed, it all seemed a little too large for minifigs.

I started off with the seat and the control panels. After I was done with that the hull was taking shape and after doubting about what to do next, I created two old-school space engines and attached them to the body. But now some background information first;

In the year 60BBY, the Z56 air speeder was created for people who had to cross a long distance in little time. Designed by the SoroSuub Corporation, an extremely fast two-engined, one seater was made. Short after the release of this speeder, when people were not aware of it's lack of taking corners and it's amazing acceleration, a consecutive serie of accidents happened caused by reckless pilots who didn't read it's user manual well enough. However, the engines were so unreliable and so sensitive for overheating, that most pilots modified the speeder into a two-seater with room for a co-pilot who could take care of the engines.

However, the Z56 air speeder didn't loose any of it's reputation after all it's cons. Because of the publicity which was due because the accidents with the speeder, it became popular by couriers and bounty hunters who could handle it's performances.

Later, when pod racing was a common amusement around Tatooine, and the Z56 Air Speeder was considered too old to be good, the speeder became popular by pilots who took part in the famous Podracing competitions. Because of it's low price, but still extraordinary powerful engines, this speeder was common bought by pilots so they could detach the engines, equip them with antigravity generatots and detach them to the 'pod', and voilá; a cheap podracer was created.

Time for the pictures now.

gronu4kpnp.jpg

ab22hukfi2.jpg

rhiraflgrx.jpg

Sidepanels detached/

o6ctumwuto.jpg

wyzlnrt8q3.jpg

boywb1ov6m.jpg

a4rdzvg7bp.jpg

jbsjhldm5v.jpg

vjz6ocxy3u.jpg

I will eventually post some more pictures later this week, I do have more shots of the front, but I noticed that I attached a part the wrong way which made the ship look like pretty ugly.

Hope you guys enjoyed this MOC though!

Greetings,

Hollander

Edited by KielDaMan
Indexed

AWESOME creation 'Hollander', the detail especially the engines....very nice. :grin:

Soon as I saw the photos, I instantly though of pod-racing.....then I read it in your write up, I could see this more of a drag racer doing the 1/4 mile. :wink:

May the brick be with you 'Hollander' ! :grin:

Hello!

That's a great construction. Very rich in details, both engines and cockpit. :classic:

In the story it says it was constructed for high altitudes and for quick travelling. For both reasons I myself would prefer some sort of windscreen and cover. It can get very windy and hard for the pilot to keep track on his seat. :wink:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Very interesting speeder creation Hollander, I really like the various detailing you've put in this build, particularly the control panels and those twin engines. Great job overall! :thumbup:

Very nice work. One of the things that I think is hard about fanon MOCs is making it look Star Warsy. This to me definitely would fit right in with a Star Wars collection. Absolutely love the shape. :wub:

Thanks for all the comments all! Knowing that people like a creation, always gives me the motivation to keep bricking. Thanks alot!

In the story it says it was constructed for high altitudes and for quick travelling. For both reasons I myself would prefer some sort of windscreen and cover. It can get very windy and hard for the pilot to keep track on his seat. :wink:

I thought about that too' date=' I actually forgot to mention the problem. I my story, I had to tell that a special helmet was required when reaching a high speed. I tried to make some kind of windscreen too, but that didn't turn out that well. Thanks for mentioning this problem though. :thumbup:

Nice use of colours as well :thumbup: .

First it was completely gray, but I thought some touches of dark blue and dark tan(?) would make look it better, and it did!

Edited by Hollander

Well, as others have said, your model looks great and I could definitely see it zooming along in the background of Mos Eisly in the super deluxe 4D remastered edition of A New Hope. The engines look great and the greeblies in the cockpit are fun too.

Any plans on making the podracer version?

Really nice ship Hollander. I really like the old fashioned shape of the front, but the the colors, controls, and engines give it a nice Star Wars feel.

Great job :thumbup:

Any plans on making the podracer version?

I don't know yet, I could make a Podracer version with those engines, but I would have to make them larger and put more greebles and stuff on them, otherwise I think they would be too boring. For now, I will deconstruct the speeder because I have some neat ideas about a midi-scale battle cruiser in the original triangel shape. But the idea of a podracer, I'll certainly keep that in mind. :wink:

your model looks great and I could definitely see it zooming along in the background of Mos Eisly

I'm now home for a few days, so I don't have the possibility to use photoshop now. But when I'm home again I will make a render of this speeder and put it on a nice background. :classic:

Darn, now you started about a podracer, I instantly want to make one. But a battlecruiser first now. :laugh:

:thumbup: Troopmaker and 7 other friends like this

This speeder is , to say the least , the best of it's kind . The whole speeder 's awesome , but what I love the most is the rear !

Oh wow that's cool! :thumbup: I really like what you did with the shape of the ship and the engines A perfect Star Wars MOC. :wub:

Please do not revive year-old topic only to say how you like the MOC.