Captain Zuloo

Canberra Brick Expo 2011

Quality Hotel Woden is booked out for saturday 6th Aug. >.< Looked around and booked at Novotel up in Civic instead =))

As for VIP. It says you can buy tickets on the day at the venue? I'm just wondering what exactly would the speakers be talking about? =)

Cheers ^_^

Edited by hanzocloud

Quality Hotel Woden is booked out for saturday 6th Aug. >.< Looked around and booked at Novotel up in Civic instead =))

As for VIP. It says you can buy tickets on the day at the venue? I'm just wondering what exactly would the speakers be talking about? =)

Cheers ^_^

LEGO stuff I guess will be up for discussion :laugh: . Things like designing Modular houses and building massive structures like the Love Boat.

Jamie Berard and Ryan McNaught will be discussing with us the differences between designing models for corporate clients and models for kids with instructions, and how these models go from concept to completion.

Buying tickets on the day for the VIP night would probably be a bad idea, I suspect they'll be sold out by then. There are not many left as it is. I'd pick up the phone and give the Southern Cross Club a call now, while you still can.

Only two weeks to go! :D

I was hoping to go to the VIP evening, but I can't make it now which is a shame given that I am working in Woden, 5 minutes from the venue atm :(

I will defiantly be going to the event in the day though, cant wait.

Sad news, I can't make it.....cash flow isn't allowing plane tickets, so this year is a miss for the tiger ! :cry_sad::cry2:

Maybe next year, but by then my town should be finished to display.

Brick On...without me ! :sadnew:

Sad news, I can't make it.....cash flow isn't allowing plane tickets, so this year is a miss for the tiger ! :cry_sad::cry2:

Maybe next year, but by then my town should be finished to display.

Brick On...without me ! :sadnew:

There will be heaps of photos and video, don't worry. ;)

Only two weeks to go! :D

Hi Cpt Zuloo,

Do exhibitors have to book tickets for the VIP night? Teunis and I are all geared up, and with a little luck I'll have a newly finished train to display.

Hi Cpt Zuloo,

Do exhibitors have to book tickets for the VIP night? Teunis and I are all geared up, and with a little luck I'll have a newly finished train to display.

Nope, free VIP night for exhibitors as a thanks for coming and supporting our event. :)

That is sad news; I was hoping to meet you. :cry_sad:

Well I better get back to preps; I have MOCs to fix and hopefully make before Friday!

Captain Zuloo What's the plan for setup? Is late Friday possible?

That's odd; I booked my room there on the 24th... :look:

That's odd; I booked my room there on the 24th... :look:

hmm that IS odd !!! i checked the hotel booking sites and it now has room available for the 5th, 6th....... On the day when i was looking it had room for 5th but not for 6th... don't know maybe hotels like to make it look like their full and then a few days later advertise more rooms for a bit more etc... oh well.. i guess i cant complain with the hotel in civic =D 6 more days to gooo !!! :laugh:

Edited by hanzocloud

Captain Zuloo What's the plan for setup? Is late Friday possible?

How late did you have in mind? Setup is from midday on Friday. I would think we could set up as late as 9pm when the bistro closes, although I'll have to confirm.

How late did you have in mind? Setup is from midday on Friday. I would think we could set up as late as 9pm when the bistro closes, although I'll have to confirm.

I'll have to do it on Saturday morning then; I finish work at around 6:30pm, we'll leave home at around 7pm, arrive at Canberra after 9pm... :tongue: Thus I was thinking around 11pm.

It's not a big concern anyway; I'm mostly bringing old MOCs so I won't have much setup to do. I'll just get there earlier on the day.

I'll have to do it on Saturday morning then; I finish work at around 6:30pm, we'll leave home at around 7pm, arrive at Canberra after 9pm... :tongue: Thus I was thinking around 11pm.

It's not a big concern anyway; I'm mostly bringing old MOCs so I won't have much setup to do. I'll just get there earlier on the day.

Nominally, we only have access to the venue from 9am on Saturday morning. Do you still have my mobile number? It might pay to give me a call when you get in so I can give you an indication of where we are timing wise.

Nominally, we only have access to the venue from 9am on Saturday morning. Do you still have my mobile number? It might pay to give me a call when you get in so I can give you an indication of where we are timing wise.

OK, will do. :sweet:

I attended the event today and a big congratulations to the organizers - everything was much better than last year, which was decidedly more amateur. The floor space was bigger, there were more and better exhibits, more retail space (although the prices weren't very tempting) and plenty of nerds dressed as Star Wars characters to entertain those waiting in line (although I wasn't really sure why 3 of the 4 stormtroopers I saw were black rather than white).

My only disappointment was that my son was so excited I didn't really get much opportunity to appreciate the amazing detail that went into some of the MOCs on display!

Yes indeed, thank you to the organisers who organised this. It was my first time to any Lego event and also my first time to Canberra. I think the event was pretty neat.

I'm waiting for someone to post up all the photos of the MOCS from the event. Hopefully here or on the brickexpo site :)

Great venue, right next to Woden westfields and public transport. Only a short 15 minute bus trip from Civic City.

I was surprised that there was a long line which extended all the way onto the streets outside the Southern Cross Club.!!

The place was packed out, and totally opposite to what I had imagined. I ended up lining up for about 1 hour to get in, and about 2 hours of checking out the mocs once inside.

The snacks were fitting and alright priced. 60 cents chips if I remembered correctly.

The room with the screen was perfect for sitting down and resting after wondering around looking at all the displays. And having a little laugh at the stop motions.

The main themes from the MOCs were trains, starwars, space, western, & town.

The wow factor was probably most likely the tall sky scraper building due to its size.

Retail/business presence included BTTW, BrickInk, & Little Sprouts. There was also a table for joining CLUG or something, did not really look at it as I don't live in Canberra.

Hopefully in the future we can see more MOCS and less factory sets, and also perhaps Armys of minifigs such as an army of 1000 castle knights or storm/clone troopers etc. that would look very impressive on a MOC landscape.

Overall a very enjoyable experience at the event.

:laugh:

Edited by hanzocloud

Well from a "family" point of view, the weekend was a HUGE success.

We were the very first people in line on Saturday morning, quickly followed by another 2 families in the space of 10 min, so this gave the kids even more bragging rights :laugh:

Layout wise everything was great with plenty of room to move. I think we spent nearly 3hrs looking around and taking photos of just about everything. We went straight to the vendors tables first so we could have prime pickings, where I managed to score the one and only AT-OT set from Little Sprouts (much to my wife's dismay :blush: ).

The VIP talks were great and very informative, yet fun and relaxed.

We managed to get tickets for the Kids talk Friday morning (luckily), but kept them a secret until we we're standing in line upstairs ready to go in. The kids loved being able to look around again without too much of a crowd and got some more pics of things. They absolutely loved the talk by both Ryan and Jamie and we managed to get their "Certificates" autographed by them both. Had a good little chat with Ryan about what I do and I think he was a bit blown away *oh2*

All-in-all it was a great weekend and will definately be going again next year as an exhibitor......but not as a vendor unfortunately (logistics nightmare for me and wife!). Even my oldest daughter has started working on plans for exhibiting with me *huh*

MMCB

Edited by mmcb

It was awesome to exhibit at BrickExpo and meet I Scream Clone, Siegfried and TazManiac. It was also great to catch up with previous friends. Most awesome is my hat signed by Jamie Berard, who is a very friendly and tolerant guy.