-R8-

Brickfair 2011

My friend messaged me about this on facebook. Im planning on going. It will be my first Lego event.

So I am a little confused. If i buy a one day pass, i can bring an MOC and enter it?

I'm not one of the organisers, but from their website it's my understanding that you need to be registered as an exhibitor in order to exhibit MOCs.

Cheers,

Ralph

Ralph, are you making the trip alone? I noticed that you were the only registered attendee from The Netherlands.

Looking forward to meeting you and seeing your amazing work in person. :sweet:

I'm not one of the organisers, but from their website it's my understanding that you need to be registered as an exhibitor in order to exhibit MOCs.

Bingo.

-Omi

Ralph, are you making the trip alone? I noticed that you were the only registered attendee from The Netherlands.

Looking forward to meeting you and seeing your amazing work in person. :sweet:

It's a solo-trip indeed, although I'm meeting up with Magnus and with Aleksander Stein (from Norway). I too am looking forward to meeting you and seeing those intricate Technic models up close.

Cheers,

Ralph

I realize I'm late to the party so to speak, but I will be there as well. I've been to nearly all of the Virginia brick cons, though if I bring anything it's usually something small. If anyone remembers the football field with the drum and bugle corps show last year, that was mine - I believe that has been the largest creation I've ever brought! Fallentomato, I might be able to help you out a bit during public hours. I'll see you there - and if I get building, I might even have something to show off as well!

I'm up for it. Send me a PM if you want to set up something and exchange phone numbers.

I managed to finish up my final monorail station last week, so I will bring that along with a few things from last year. I look forward to seeing everyone else's MOCs. :sweet:

PM sent.

I'll be pulling in late Thursday night, and leaving Sunday night.

It looks like there are a lot of things scheduled during dinner hours, so dinner may not work unless we do it during the yard sale.

How about Saturday breakfast at 9:00 at the Chantilly IHOP. Any better ideas?

That sounds great. 9:00 might be a bit early for me though. Would 10:00 or so work? Maybe we could go on Friday and avoid the weekend crowds. I'll be around on all four days.

I'm good with that.

If anyone else here wants to join us or has ideas for other places/times, feel free to chime in.

By the way, if you want to take advantage of the local Lego store discounts, it's best to go early. I went to the Tysons store today and they were already running out of a few things. They are supposed to get additional shipments of some sets on Monday.

By the way, if you want to take advantage of the local Lego store discounts, it's best to go early. I went to the Tysons store today and they were already running out of a few things. They are supposed to get additional shipments of some sets on Monday.

My family's headed to the Potomac Mills store this evening. Thanks for the advance warning. Hopefully the sets that my family's interested in perhaps getting (my twin brother's intent on getting a bunch of Ninjago, whereas I don't have any particular sets laid down that I want to get here and now) won't be too hard to come by.

I was planning on hitting the Pick-a-Brick walls. Are they close to running out of bricks or is there still an adequate stock available?

This should help you guys in finding me. :P

-Omi

Cool cool! I've got a Technic JCB backhoe that I'll have on display, so I'll be over at the Technic table.

I'll have some gears on my name badge, so I should be easily recognizable.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

Edited by dhc6twinotter

I was planning on hitting the Pick-a-Brick walls. Are they close to running out of bricks or is there still an adequate stock available?

I was at the Potomac Mills LEGO store yesterday, and the PAB walls had no shortage of parts. Unfortunately most of the parts were extremely basic bricks, and not in particularly interesting colors. No idea on the situation at the Tyson's Corner store.

Interestingly, there wasn't much evidence of an AFOL presence at the Potomac Mills store. I guess a lot more people were going to the Tyson's Corner store on the first day of discounts. Most sets were stocked in a good quantity, and my brother managed to find all the Ninjago sets he wanted but one: the Lightning Dragon Battle, which they had expected to have in stock when he called in advance, but which they didn't get in time due to some problem in manufacturing or packaging or something. They let him buy another $80 set instead, which he will be able to trade in once they have the Lightning Dragon Battle in stock.

I was kind of disappointed at the lack of cool LEGO clothing and gear there. There were umbrellas and some other neat things, but the only t-shirts were LEGO Star Wars themed. I guess this gives me a chance to see if there's any cool LEGO gear being sold by Brickfair's vendors, though.

Interestingly, there wasn't much evidence of an AFOL presence at the Potomac Mills store.

I was reading on the BrickFair forums that there was a little discrepancy on whether the Potomac Mills store was participating in the BrickFair discount. Apparently, the store manager hadn't decided at the time whether the store would be a part of the sale. I guess they will have more information on the Community Board at the event.

In any case, hope to see a lot of you in a few hours!

The Tysons store had several Brickfair regulars hanging around yesterday, and many employees there have been to the show in the past and like to chat about MOCs. :classic: The PAB wall was stocked but there was little in the way of special parts there. 1x2 trans-clear bricks and 2x4x2 trans-clear windscreens were the only things that I noticed.

As for recognizing me, my badge has this CP5670 handle on it. I'll be behind my (Unitron themed) MOCs in the space area at times during public hours, and will also be there at the IHOP tomorrow.

I'll be the guy with the LEGOLand California cap, and my badge will have a minifig on it along with my EB username. I am parked in the mixed area (by the Stay and Play section) with my sculptures.

I'll be wandering around a bit today, and maybe spending some time by my MOC (Rise of the Dread Colossus) in the Other category. I'll be wearing my BIONICLE hat and a LEGO polo shirt. I'll also see about spending some time with my BZPeeps, even though it's been a long time since I've been in contact with many of them.

Hey guys,

I had a great time this year!

CP5670, it was great having breakfast with you.

Paul Boratko, I had a blast hanging out in the Technic section with you and your wife. You all are a cool bunch. Thanks for the extra gears too!

And I'm sure I talked to a few of you other EB members as well, although I'm sorry if I have a hard time putting faces with usernames.

It was great meeting everyone, and I look forward to next years event!

Daniel (the guy with the backhoe)

Edited by dhc6twinotter

Wow, what an event! Just got back home.

It was fantastic seeing so much LEGO in person, and even a bit surreal since this was my first convention and I'd never been surrounded by so many serious LEGO fans before.

How much LEGO did you all make away with? :laugh: I spent about 55 bucks on LEGO, but with some of the great deals at the vendor area and the yard sale, plus all the free stuff, I have a bag full of probably 10-15 pounds of LEGO...which is peanuts compared to loot that some other people got!

Ralph_S, CP5670, it was great meeting and talking to you both in person (I was the short guy with the glasses and rainbow plaid, and may or may not have had a LEGOLAND cap on). Hope to be back next year.

It was wonderful meeting everyone here and sharing MOCs with each other. I talked to several of you over the last few days and had some great discussions on Lego. I will put up my pictures of the event on Brickshelf soon.

The speed build on Saturday evening was also an awesome experience, and the first time I have done that. Apparently we beat the existing record on the Tower Bridge, despite a lot of chaos and screw-ups near the end. :laugh:

How much LEGO did you all make away with? :laugh: I spent about 55 bucks on LEGO, but with some of the great deals at the vendor area and the yard sale, plus all the free stuff, I have a bag full of probably 10-15 pounds of LEGO...which is peanuts compared to loot that some other people got!

I spent $260-odd at the Lego store (after the 30% discount) and got lucky with some free things at the event, including 700 or so pieces from the speed build and an 8068 from the door prizes. Still, I think people were a bit more conservative than in previous years, when the Bulls store sale encouraged everyone to go on crazy spending sprees. :grin: