LuxorV

The internal LEGO Colour scheme

Just like last year, TLG has decided to share their internal colour palette for 2011.

2011palette.png

As you can see, there are some interesting new colours related to the Cars 2 licensed theme.

Thanks for the updated palette, LuxorV.

Now I'd like to order a 2x2 tile in each color... :cry_happy:

Trans brown? What is that? I don't seem to remember ever seeing trans brown before, or maybe I'm just forgetting.

*Flashes the Aanchir signal* :tongue:

This is pretty interesting. Lots of new Cars colors.

Trans brown? What is that? I don't seem to remember ever seeing trans brown before, or maybe I'm just forgetting.

According to Peeron, that's the Smoke color. (BL's Trans-Black)

Now I'd like to order a 2x2 tile in each color... :cry_happy:

That'd be interesting. I'd be happy enough with a standard 2x4 brick in each color, but you can't even get that from S@H PAB, even limited to solid colors... they only have 15 colors available on PAB for 2x4 bricks as opposed to the 40 solid colors shown in the chart. In fact, the "exact" color selector only has 30 choices total, including transparent. :sceptic:

Edited by fred67

*Flashes the Aanchir signal* :tongue:

Haha! Aanchir in 3....2....1....aaaand...

I'm really liking the overall selection here, I wish there wasn't such a divide between "normal" and "special" colours. I want to build in pink :laugh:

Edited by Jaymercury

294 (right hand side) is in with the metallics so I was wondering what kind of white/cream metallic it could possibly be, but it's listed as Posph(erous?) Green. Is that new? :look:

294 (right hand side) is in with the metallics so I was wondering what kind of white/cream metallic it could possibly be, but it's listed as Posph(erous?) Green. Is that new? :look:

It's a glow-in-the-dark color.

Thanks for bringing this official chart to us, LuxorV! It's pretty much what we predicted back here, but it's terrific to have the official word on this. :thumbup: And it's also quite timely, as the new colours are starting to appear in Alien Conquest and Cars sets.

TLG should make this a set. A tile in each color, with nothing printed on them, on a white or clear 16X32 baseplate. With a card listing all the colors, with their numbers and names on one side, and showing their positions on the palette on the other side, like in the image in the starting post.

Let's take this to TLG as a product suggestion.

They could do this every year, but a different part type each year. Next year, they could do 2X4 bricks. That would give an opportunity to collect a variety of pieces in each color.

I would buy a multitude of this set, so i would have a bunch of tiles in every color.

According to Peeron, that's the Smoke color. (BL's Trans-Black)

Correct, the same color as the vast majority of our windscreens is what TLG labels "Tr. Brown".

TLG should make this a set. A tile in each color, with nothing printed on them, on a white or clear 16X32 baseplate. With a card listing all the colors, with their numbers and names on one side, and showing their positions on the palette on the other side, like in the image in the starting post.

Let's take this to TLG as a product suggestion.

They could do this every year, but a different part type each year. Next year, they could do 2X4 bricks. That would give an opportunity to collect a variety of pieces in each color.

I would buy a multitude of this set, so i would have a bunch of tiles in every color.

Holodoc likes this :thumbup:

+1 Follower :wink:

What about Maersk Blue? There are 2 sets (and hopefully more ) with that color. Or did I miss something?

What about Maersk Blue? There are 2 sets (and hopefully more ) with that color. Or did I miss something?

I believe 'Maersk Blue' is treated specially as it's not available for general use by TLG's designers, it can only be used on licensed Maersk sets.

I believe 'Maersk Blue' is treated specially as it's not available for general use by TLG's designers, it can only be used on licensed Maersk sets.

So? Leave a spot marked as "special light blue" and those of us who happens to have Maersk blue tile can fill in that.

5759994878_a8ed5594b1.jpg

This is my attempt to recreate it in brick, using Peeron's chart, to better see what new colors we might be seeing.

The lettered ones I wasn't able to match; the letters below on my chart show possible current colors (all of which are in production this year).

A: "Titanium Metallic"

B: "Spring Yellowish Green"

C: "Lavender"

D: "Medium Lavender"

E: "Dark Azur"

Other interesting things I found:

Maersk blue doesn't seem to be on this year's chart, unless E (321 Dark Azur) is Lego's acknowledging that the new Maersk parts are slightly different than the old Maersk parts (11 Pastel Blue).

"154 Dark Red" is now "154 New Dark Red". So, watch for a color change in dark red parts.

Peeron's list doesn't have 221 Bright Purple, though it was on LEGO's 2010 list too.

Edited by Lt. de Martinet

"154 Dark Red" is now "154 New Dark Red". So, watch for a color change in dark red parts.

No, according to Aanchir, it's the same thing:

New Dark Red has the same material ID (154) as Dark Red has always had. So it won't be any significant variation from other Dark Red parts (and in fact is almost certainly the same Dark Red color you would find in any current sets) Chances are the only reason for the "New" in its name is that it may have been re-formulated, something that often happens with LEGO colors if they have significant problems but not significant enough for the color to be replaced entirely. Since Dark Red is known to have a wide range of variability in its appearance, this might have been a problem significant enough to warrant re-formulating the color.

Granted, I've never known TLG to use the "new" terminology at all for any colors, even ones that have been re-formulated a significant number of times like 131 Silver (a now-obsolete color that was replaced last year by 315 Silver Metallic, since the many times they tried re-formulating it weren't sufficient to solve the color's inherent problems with inconsistency). But this is just the best guess I have for why a color that was once known merely as Dark Red even by TLG is now called New Dark Red on Pick-A-Brick and LEGO Digital Designer.

Yes, Brick Yellow and Sand Yellow are the same as Tan and Dark Tan, respectively. The Peeron Color List is an excellent resource for learning which official names used by TLG correspond to the Bricklink names more frequently used by AFOLs.

I love the Fluro Green 49. I have always hated the yellow looking lightsabers with the old Star Wars sets. I have seen pics of the 2011 line with the green saber blade and looks much more accurite. Now to order 100pcs from Bicklink to give my other Jedis the right cloured blade :laugh: .

Interesting. This will be useful in the future for comparing colours.

That tile idea is good, too. Though online catalogues will make it kind of redundant, it would be a nice collectible item and I prefer seeing the colours myself in person.