Sign in to follow this  
SkaForHire

A MOC using 7075 hull.

thindexedgif.gif 24a

So I decided to post pics of my conversion of 7075.

The Kraken's Whip is a pirate ship that ocasionally works as a privateer for the British. Right now she can be spotted taking a British surveying crew around the horn of africa. She is crewed by the famous Privateer Sir Horris Noble. Noble is an odd pirate, he makes sure that his direct crew is in uniform and to his standards. Unlike most ragtag units, his pirates are drilled for battle. He also employs a group of mercenarys from India. These warriors led by a man simply named Goshi often fight the boarding battles for The Kraken's Whip, however as you can see by the last pic, the captain likes to get in on the action.

Sorry, I am limited by the amount of pieces i have at my house, I wish i could do this up alot better.... and perhaps she will get a refit when i get reunited with my collection... but for now it was what i have.

I hate the large portholes, but they are better then no portholes. And I wish i would have had extra hull when i built it... and I definitely want to re rig the sails and add a front and back sail... just didnt have the string at the time. overall i feel it is alot better then the stock set tho.

EDIT:

resized.jpg

Think to deeplink when you are posting a MOC, this way we don't have to wait for the folder to be public ! :-)

The folder isn't public yet. Is it possible you could put one of the images of your ship in the first post so we can have an initial look?

The folder isn't public yet. Is it possible you could put one of the images of your ship in the first post so we can have an initial look?

i suppose that depends on my tech level. what is deeplinking by the way?

also.... while my MOC is much more "legoish" then realist, i think it fits in alot more with what the rest of my fleet currently looks like, sinc i tend to make stuff look alot more like lego then real (cough cough, I'm a horrible modeler) LOL.... just a preference though... if i wanted to be realistic i would end up a perfectionist and keep destroyingthe damn thing every ten minutes... much better to make a goofy looking model... or atleast that is what i tell my sanity.

BUT... if you want to see some real proof this hull can be modded into a work of art.... and since we have worshiped Richie Dullin already once today, heres a link to his creation... pretty sweet! hope he doesn't mind! I just wish i knew if he had a recent site.

Yes, what is your "tech level"? Do you know how to resize images because that size is probably too big for a thread...

Yes, what is your "tech level"? Do you know how to resize images because that size is probably too big for a thread...

like i wrote above, i dont have any software that i know of to downsize it... my tech level is fairly high lol... its just that this is a brand spanking new gaming machine i built, and i dont have much software at all on it... besides battlefield 2 LOL! no imaging software however... so when ever that overall site gets okayed, someone let me know i guess and I will remove that big honking picture.

Is it Windows or Mac? If you're using Windows surely you've got Paint. And you obviously have a Internet connection so you could always down a small freeware image editor.

But you do what you want, I'm just recommending you place a reasonably sized image of your MOC at the top of the thread because that tends to a lot more responses. Obviously an image is going to attract a lot more attention than post full of text.

I never thought about paint.... hmm... sometimes you forget the little things exist... think i got it.

Its usually installed with the default installation of Windows and if you have no other image editors it should automatically be the default image editor.

After loading the image go to Image -> Stretch/Skew and the resize dialogue will appear.

This is definately an improvement over the original design. The "real" cannons alone is an upgrade.

At the same time it looks remarkably similar to the original.

Is the refit going to be a complete redesign or to make it even more system-esque?

This is definately an improvement over the original design. The "real" cannons alone is an upgrade.

At the same time it looks remarkably similar to the original.

Is the refit going to be a complete redesign or to make it even more system-esque?

Yep its like the original to some degree, though believe it or not i think it has three times more pieces... but then again three times fifty is only 150 lol. still I had to keep some of the main elements of the ship because i have no suitable replacements at the moment... most notably the deck, the front end of the bow, and the portholes. these just require pieces i do not have available to me at the moment. Though I think i like the large portholes if they were the first from the quarterdeck and the bow and then had normal middle ones... they coudl duel as gunports and as cargo doors when loading. but the stupid set doesnt come with enough covers for all of its gun ports! I also found the longer I could make it apear the better... but i did not have enough pieces to go any further.

once i have room and can afford parts I hope to atleast build it up to appear like system pirates or an attempt at some sort of reality. I can never build a ship that looks as nice as Mr. Dullin's but I can make one that is better then what i have so far. It is just going to require time, space, and mone... stuff i dont have much of right now :) However, I think this ship is usable as it is now for storytelling, wargaming, and play. Just not display!

According to Lugnet Captain Redbeard's Ship has 134 pieces so your MOC would need 402 pieces to have 3 times as many pieces. I bring this up because 402 is quite a jump from 150 and its interesting to note how much extra you've added to this MOC.

I agree with Mr Ghoulrealm that this looks very similiar to the original and only upon closer inspection can I see the modifications. At first glance I probably wouldn't realise this was any different! Perhaps adding custom sails would further remove it from being Captain Redbeard's ship...

According to Lugnet Captain Redbeard's Ship has 134 pieces so your MOC would need 402 pieces to have 3 times as many pieces. I bring this up because 402 is quite a jump from 150 and its interesting to note how much extra you've added to this MOC.

I agree with Mr Ghoulrealm that this looks very similiar to the original and only upon closer inspection can I see the modifications. At first glance I probably wouldn't realise this was any different! Perhaps adding custom sails would further remove it from being Captain Redbeard's ship...

i was probably just thinking about usable pieces! lol.

Yeah i want to redo the sails, atleast add some. but i have more the mind to destroy it in a battle with the HMS Inventive

(that wiil hopefully be a link in the next couple days... i really want to find some rigging and put new sails on it before i show it.)

After destruction, rebuilding from the ground up after maybe 20 bucks on bricklink helps me out. i could probably spare that...

I think this was just an example of what a quick alteration to the 7075 can produce... it atleast looks more like system. (if you look at the picture of the stock model, it barely has pieces that connect together, most just snap onto the hull and you are ready to go. ) which i said, makes it playable, and gameable. Which is all that matters to me at the moment. I can make it pretty later. So perhaps call this model an attempt at sprucing up the horrible reputation of a parts bin model! lol i dont know... I think I should have showed the HMS Inventive first, because then i dont look as much a hack hahaha.

I still think it leans more towards 4+ than SYSTEM. It has to be the hull... The hull is so big and bulbous (I used that word a lot when it was first released) you'd need to add a hell of a lot of pieces on top of it it concealed its 4-plus-ness!

But you've done well with what you had to work with and its a definite improvement over the original. I can't but help that it looks too short though, its like it needs another middle hull piece or something...

I still think it leans more towards 4+ than SYSTEM. It has to be the hull... The hull is so big and bulbous (I used that word a lot when it was first released) you'd need to add a hell of a lot of pieces on top of it it concealed its 4-plus-ness!

But you've done well with what you had to work with and its a definite improvement over the original. I can't but help that it looks too short though, its like it needs another middle hull piece or something...

i jsut happen to have a few laying around lol. when i rebuild i will look into making it larger, maybe three sections.. thats all i have though... dont know what i will do with all the end pieces ugh... make barges or something i suppose...

I don't like the sails but is not your fault if you haven't got other sails but there are a tutorial in this forum which teach you how to make your own sails...

About the ship is small and simple...but isn't bad at all...It's better than Cross Bone Clipper, for example and if you change the saild you'll get a nice MOC

I don't like the sails but is not your fault if you haven't got other sails but there are a tutorial in this forum which teach you how to make your own sails...

About the ship is small and simple...but isn't bad at all...It's better than Cross Bone Clipper, for example and if you change the saild you'll get a nice MOC

I don't mind the sails, they remind me of the old sets... i do mind that htere are not enough sails, so I am going to have to make some to match the new ones that get put on anyway...

But it is true, not many ships used color sails, because it was just too expensive (sails get ripped all the time and need mended, after just one voyage multicolored sails would just look really bad because they would be patched up, most likely with what ever is available.)

I feel to be "legoish" color sails are all fine and dandy, for realism there are only a couple good colors for sails. i guess it is preference.

And on another note...

i just did some digging in what i have at home... and came up with some 7075 hull.... here is a picture of what i could do.... lol. Note: the HMS Inventive (uploading images as i type this of that ship) in the middle is about the length of a SES...

100_1462shrunk.jpg

I calculated it out that I could probably (if had the pieces of course) build atleast a 120 gun first class ship of the line with the size the ship was. However there is a couple limitations, i would want real masts because you can stack them higher, and i would go broke buying the 60 or more cannons for just one side, not to mention that i would want to crew it too thus making me even poorer... even if i had the pieces, the ship would be so much bigger then the rest of my fleet... it would be invinsible in wargaming, cumbersome to photograph and not have too much to tell storywise, as it would never get to fight anyone since it would be WAY to slow to catch pirates... If i could build two, maybe then it would be interesting... but i think it would cost over 1000 dollars to build one...

I notice the Krakens Whip in the background of that shot, what you could do, although it might involve the dismantling of the rest of the fleet, is build two 2nd or 3rd line ships. Two sister ships patroling the seas etc etc, I'm not much of a story teller :)

Just a thought, although I think either way, the project would require a ton of brick investment.

I notice the Krakens Whip in the background of that shot, what you could do, although it might involve the dismantling of the rest of the fleet, is build two 2nd or 3rd line ships. Two sister ships patroling the seas etc etc, I'm not much of a story teller :)

Just a thought, although I think either way, the project would require a ton of brick investment.

That is quite a possibility, i took a tally of what 7075 hulls i have... i have 3 bows and sterns and 5 mid sections... so that could be two two midesection ships and one one midsection, which is what I will probably do. the other option is one 2 and one 3 middle section ship... I dont think i will be building anything bigger then a three. it just puts the rest of the fleet out of scale... though, i would like to attempt it to see if it can be done... lol. maybe if i hit the lottery... then again if i hit the lottery i would hold a Lego Pirates Fest, and i would fly all of this forum there! lol then we can all build it! HAHAHA

How did you manage to get al those hull pieces???

before people were charging 15 dollars per piece on bricklink, it was more like 2.50 and i bought all this one shop had (2) found another captain redbeards ship on ebay for five (yes five!) dollars after shipping. and i bought my original captain redbeards ship.

How did you manage to get al those hull pieces???

before people were charging 15 dollars per piece on bricklink, it was more like 2.50 and i bought all this one shop had (2) found another captain redbeards ship on ebay for five (yes five!) dollars after shipping. and i bought my original captain redbeards ship.

FIVE DOLLARS?!!??! I knew it's not the best LEGO set but five dollars?!?!!? I had to pay(or my parents, it was birthday gift) over 50 dollars!!! lol