Swashbuckling buccaneer

Are POTC sets too expensive?

Are Pirates of the Caribbean sets too expensive?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think they are too expensive?

• Yes, way overpriced
    • Yes, but are on par with other licensed sets
    • No, price is fair
  2. 2. Will you still buy them?

Where I live, the sets have been sold out multiple times in every store i go to. There is no such thing as a certain line being cheaper or more expensive than any other. Look at city sets price to peice ratio. The PotC sets are the best quality sets ever made. Someone posted that lego sets are luxury items. They are exactly that. You don't need them to live. I want a ferrari but, it's too expensive. :cry3:

Prices are the same as in the 80's. Think if these toys followed the trend of everything else's price increase. I'm just saying "think about that..".

I do find them to be on the expensive side. Thankfully, the only one I want is the Queen Anne's Revenge. I do not like fleshies at all, but that ship looks pretty awesome

Someone posted that lego sets are luxury items. They are exactly that.

That was me and I'm glad it didn't go unnoticed, I'm sure I've heard LEGO say the same thing somewhere. From memory the BSB was $200 Au in 1989 and the QAR is $200 Au (RRP) though my local Big W sells it for $148 Au (not on sale). The part count is pretty close and the finished model close in size too. Granted the smaller sets seem high in price but look at the detail in the Minifigures and new parts.

I think the smaller boxes, also makes them seem more overpriced then they are. When I consider the amount of inflation on other things in the stores, its not so bad. Lego has not drastically gone up overall. I would not mind if they cost less though however, as I could buy more that way! :pir_laugh2:

Due to my low budget, as Im in college now, I think I will just stick to the small sets.(Unless they give us a minifig scale Black Pearl) You can get most of the really cool new pieces in the smaller ones.

I think the smaller boxes, also makes them seem more overpriced then they are.

My first London Chase arrived today so it was my good look at it. I must say its rather on the small side for $100, its like the grey building should be accompanied by a second larger building to justify the price.

But fortunately I only paid $65 for it so I don't feel so bad about the price.

You know the funniest thing I find in threads about different sets themes etc being too expensive is that we are going to buy it anyways. I am not saying that this thread is wrong because there have been many valid arguments on both sides. The funny part is though if we really thought these sets were that expensive we would not buy them thus bringing down the price in the end because the need would not be so high or just stop the theme altogether. Don't get me wrong I am not saying this thread is not important because it does seem like unlike other products lego does look at the core fans and listens to them but just saying how funny we are truly are.

You know the funniest thing I find in threads about different sets themes etc being too expensive is that we are going to buy it anyways. I am not saying that this thread is wrong because there have been many valid arguments on both sides. The funny part is though if we really thought these sets were that expensive we would not buy them thus bringing down the price in the end because the need would not be so high or just stop the theme altogether. Don't get me wrong I am not saying this thread is not important because it does seem like unlike other products lego does look at the core fans and listens to them but just saying how funny we are truly are.

I personnally don't buy sets that seems too expensive to me, even if they please to me, like some of the PotC ones. Same thing with most of the Star Wars sets, whose only interest is minifigures most of the time. But the worst are Harry Potter sets. I only bought one. The others ones looks good, but are definitely overpriced. However, I don't think the Lego company really takes care of the overpricing problem. I would even say that it amplifies from year to year. Lego fans should merit a little more attention, as they highly influence whose toys are bought for their family, friends, children, and all the people they know. There are a lot of little things the Lego company could do easily to satisfy Lego fans, like the minifigs series idea, but also re-editing old sets, conceiving more Modulars, bigger Creators with more possibilities of building, proposing more shipping options on the Lego store, increasing the interest of being a Lego VIP, suppressing the chinese production of bricks because of their lower quality for an equal price, giving the possibility to buy licensed minifigs on the pick-a-brick, etc....

giving the possibility to buy licensed minifigs on the pick-a-brick, etc....

they would loose their flare, where is the fun in that? I appreciate being able to buy a set and get all the goodies that go with it. Only to walk over to a PAb wall and find those same parts in it??

The Jack Sparrow promo minifigures wouldn't ring up at my local walmart so the cashier just threw them into my bag without charging me. Ahhh, god bless the lazy walmart work force.

If you are ever looking for cheap Lego sets try Target on-line. The sets reach a high clearance price before the actual stores do. I'll be waiting to pick up most of the POTC sets from them at about half the price.