• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

approvedgold_v2_50.png

Hello everyone,

It has been quite awhile since I last re-visited the Atlantis theme. I wasn't a huge fan of the Atlantis but those small little promotional polybags are simply the best appetiser to get you interested in it. Unfortunately, this set was not available as part of their regular release. In some countries like the United Kingdom, it was part of the Daily Mirror 2010 promotional giveaway. Luckily, if you are intending to pick it up, your best bet will be in Bricklink since the listed prices for this polybag is reasonable.

Name: Mini Sub

Theme: LEGO System / Atlantis

Year: 2010

Pieces: 42

Minifigs: 1

Price: USD $3.99, GBP 1.99, SGD N.A

Resources: Brickset, Peeron, BrickLink

An image of a 30042, Mini Sub

1%7E22.jpg

Mini Sub 007 scouting ahead in Regina sector

2%7E22.jpg

The Mini Sub is sturdy enough to venture into the depths of the ocean. I am very surprised that such a small built of the mini sub can actually survive the unforgiving cruel pressure of the ocean. Of course, technology plays a huge part in all Atlantis expedition and this mini sub is no exception and is ready to go for some treasure hunting.

Instruction Manual

3%7E21.jpg

This tiny little booklet reflects the comprehensive building steps of the mini sub. While, the back of it actually shows the releases of the first Atlantis sets.

Pouring out the content

5%7E22.jpg

Atlantis Diver, Lance Spear

6%7E18.jpg

This Atlantis Diver is known as Lance Spear. Each Atlantis Diver is given a sort of identity and in this case, he is the First Mate of the Atlantis Expedition crew. He is given the deep ocean diving expedition diving suit which is meant to venture further than anybody who has gone before. I supposed the complicated looking breathing apparatus will allow the diver to survive for long hours and at the same time, withstanding the extreme cold harsh temperature. Like the rest of the Atlantis crew, the outfit is identical for the 2010 releases. This is the back view of the Atlantis Diver.

I like that expression!

8%7E20.jpg

Building bricks for the Mini Sub

9%7E17.jpg

The given parts for this polybag set is pretty common and it can be acquired easily. Some of the useful parts includes the yellow gem, clear crystal ball globe and those 1x1 round studs. These are the remaining spare parts after building.

Front view of the Mini Sub

13%7E7.jpg

Side view of the Mini Sub

14%7E10.jpg

Back view of the Mini Sub

15%7E9.jpg

I really like the shape of this mini sub. At first glance, it gave me the impression that it was a diesel generator, but I was mistaken. In fact, I find the design much better than the 8072 Sea Jet. The colour theme for the Atlantis expedition remain black and red. The Mini Sub also comes with a bright torchlight and a mechanical arm to hold the treasure gem, pushing forward by the engine rotor at the back of the sub.

Up... Up... and away...

16%7E10.jpg

Overall, I find this set very enjoyable to play. Not much of a building experience and special parts galore but it definitely gives you so fun to get yourself acquitted with the Atlantis theme. As I mentioned earlier, this polybag set makes a fine Atlantis appetiser. If you are able to get it within a reasonable amount, you should grab it. It will be a very good introduction set to this new theme, even if you are not really very interested in this new LEGO action theme.

Summary review

Playability: 6/10 (On its own, it can't play much except adjusting the mechanical arms.)

Design: 8/10 (The Mini Sub design is wonderful and worth to add into your underwater expedition equipment.)

Price: 9/10 (Affordable polybag set if you are able to find the right source.)

Overall: 7.7/10 (A good impulse set for someone whom wants to try out the new Atlantis theme without spending too much money.)

I gave it a "4" based on my Review Score Card. :wink: What about yours?

Hope everyone of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Critics are strongly welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Flickr and My Brickshelf (When moderated)

Great review Fangy! I love the crisp-clear photos. :wub: I must admit this is one of the better-looking polybagged sets I've seen, I'm diggin' the mini-sub design and an Atlantis diver is always a welcome addition. It's also a "4" for me.

Nice review WF. These little polybag sets make for great stocking stuffers. This is my personal favorite among the small Atlantis collection, and at $3.99 (here in the US), it's a fair price. Your images are looking nicer with every review.

Thanks for sharing - I agree with your rating of 4. :thumbup:

Nice one Fangy! That was a great little set.

Plus a little FYI, I sometimes see them on aisle strips in Tesco supermarkets, they are sold for about £1.99.

I'll Index this now.

Thanks everyone! I am so glad that you guys have enjoyed viewing these new images! :wub:

and at $3.99 (here in the US), it's a fair price.

Plus a little FYI, I sometimes see them on aisle strips in Tesco supermarkets, they are sold for about £1.99.

I have added the prices in the Set Information.

I'll Index this now.

Thanks Peppy!

I almost picked up this set at Target a few weeks ago just for the crystal ball. I had just traded for the minifig head (which is awesome) so the crystal ball was the only thing pulling me to get it. Because of my budget I could only get one polybag so I decided on the Target Practice Kingdoms one instead. Your review almost makes me regret the decision. Almost.

Nice review 'WhiteFang' default_thumbup.gif. never been quite interested in the smaller Atlantis sets, mainly the big one's which features lots of functions default_laugh2.gif. But this set does seem different. I just can't put my finger on it.

Excellent review Fangy, good to see that new camera getting put to good use.

Thanks for the review, Whitefang, and lovely pictures!

There was once a time when I convinced myself that I wouldn't collect the Atlantis line. Unfortunately for my wallet, the theme just wound up with too many good sets and I could no longer resist jumping on board. This polybag set is is exactly what I need to complete my collection, in fact I think I need multiples of this. While the sub is compact, its got great details and simply looks fantastic!

Another brilliant review, WhiteFang! ) :classic:

Well, I've always liked this set, for some odd reason. Though the theme generally was nothing special to me. But this small nice craft was another story. Perhaps it's the general shape, perhaps something else, but I find this set extremely nicely designed and it sure has some nice parts. Thanks for sharing the review with us! ) :classic:

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

Thanks 'Fangy' for the review of this C & C set....cute & cool that is ! :grin:

I agree it's one of the better designs in this theme because it's more realistic and not overdone in bits and pieces.

Keep on diving everyone ! :grin:

Thank you guys for all of your kind thoughts! It is very encouraging to know that you have enjoyed reading this review. :wub:

Your review almost makes me regret the decision. Almost.

Whenever LEGO polybags is concerned, you ought to get them as they are hard to come by, at least for me from where I lived. I hope you will have another chance to grab it again!

This polybag set is is exactly what I need to complete my collection, in fact I think I need multiples of this.

I hope you will complete your collection soon! :sweet:

I bought this set for the crystal ball piece, which is new to my collection.

I wish this set came with a diver (head piece really) other than Lance Spears because I already had him from another Atlantis impulse set and the Gateway of the Squid set.

I wish this set came with a diver (head piece really) other than Lance Spears because I already had him from another Atlantis impulse set and the Gateway of the Squid set.

Indeed, like the one taken below. :blush:

11~2.jpg

:tongue:

Lovely pics, Fangster! :wub: Your new camera is proving beneficial already :wink:

Have I seen this set somewhere before?? :look: I'm not a big Atlantis fan, though I've bought some of the larger sets mainly for parts. This is a nice little impulse set with a great colour scheme, and it's well worth the money for the diver alone.

Have I seen this set somewhere before?? :look:

Thank you Rufus! I think this set appears in UK before, along with the Daily Mirror 2010 giveaway promotion. :tongue: