Brickdoctor

EB's LDD Relay Community Builds

What do you want to see in the next RCB? (this poll will be updated with options as suggestions come in)  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What should the subject of RCB 5 be?

• TwinLUG Micropolis-bases City
    • Castle
    • Town
    • Western Town
    • Renaissance-era Street
    • Ninjago/Feudal Japan Village
    • Ancient Civilization City
    • Landscape
    • Space
    • Trains
    • Pirates
    • Post-Apoc
  2. 2. What are some features you want in the next RCB? (pick as many as you want)

• More parts allowed
    • Any colors for any bricks allowed
    • More builders
    • DbM-mode only
    • LDD 'All-Star' builders RCB
    • None - I think they're great as is!
    • BasOne is not allowed to sing.
    • Each builder turns the previous model into something else

Nothing in the description of 'Space Station' says the station can't be an outpost on the moon with a spaceport. :wink:

I'm probably not hosting RCB 3. :wink: I'll be doing 4 or 5.

I thought I was doing 4

I thought I was doing 4

I said 4 or 5. And you haven't been given the spot yet by Superkalle. (though I personally have no problem with you hosting once you've participated once)

I think its safe to say the next build will be space themed :laugh:

Also, more parts, builders, and colors. Someone host! I want to build, I want to build, I want to build :grin:

We've got so many possibilities within space though...another poll or just let the host decide?

We've got so many possibilities within space though...another poll or just let the host decide?

Host's decision. Whoever he is... :look:

Host's decision. Whoever he is... :look:

Cue X-Files theme.

But i'm ready and rearing to go too :grin:

Hi all

I decided to give Brickdoctor a shot again. A few people have PM:ed me, but not anyone with sufficient EB experience. Besides, I think we can all agree that the Doc did an awesome job with the last one. So fire away at will Brickdoctor with RCB3. :classic:

Oh, and regarding the poll and the shown interest to be able to use any color for any brick. I have to say I'm not to keen on that idea. I really like the LDD forum to maintain a strong relationship to physcial bricks, and that LDD (and other CAD tools) are viewed mainly as tools to help test ideas and aid with the physical designs. I know some of you will think that "hey, if it's all virtual bricks, why not be able to go haywire", and I can understand that, but like I said - I don't want to loose the connection with the real thing. Besides, I haven't given up on the dream that one day we could all get together and build one of our RCB's with physical bricks (hopefully sponsored by TLG :tongue:) - and then it's more practical if we've used brick colors we can actually build with. :sweet:

I don't want to loose the connection with the real thing.

I know what you mean. I fear that if LDD becomes too isolated from real bricks, it will become a niche tool rather than a popular and often used tool by many MOCers. I would think that it would be better to include free colors into secondary RCBs once the RCB has become more "mainstream" and we can easily host 2 builds at a time. That way using LDD as a standalone tool will become its own niche instead of being seen as part of the main use of LDD.

I must just be paranoid though :wacko: I want to see LDD be popular and accepted by the larger AFOL community :sweet:

The first post has been updated. RCB 3's topic should be up in a few days. :classic:

After seeing the result of RCB3... I changed whatever vote I used to have there to this:

"Town"

"More Builders"

I've recently built the 3 modulars on the market (Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium, Pet Shop), and while I tend to be a historical theme fan, I've come to appreciate the satisfying builds. I think it would be nice to do a nice neighborhood scene, maybe. But maybe that would be too similar to our castle/MMV street scene? Maybe we could set the season to be autumn or winter to match the upcoming season in the northern hemisphere (sorry Austrailia, etc!)

My second choice is Pirates though. :pir-sweet:

Disclaimer: my suggestions don't mean I would lead or necessarily even participate in the next RCB. Although I would love to participate of course... just a matter of being busy or not when it happens.

Castle, Space, Town House. All that is left is I guess City and Pirates. But whatever it is RCB4 will be great, however I think the same rules about production pieces and colours should hold. Larger builds would limit those with slower computers, but perhaps those with their super computers could do the joining together? Just a suggestion.

Castle, Space, Town House. All that is left is I guess City and Pirates. But whatever it is RCB4 will be great, however I think the same rules about production pieces and colours should hold. Larger builds would limit those with slower computers, but perhaps those with their super computers could do the joining together? Just a suggestion.

The question of larger builds and/or traditional Community Builds without the 'relay' part has come up before. The great thing about RCBs that CBs don't have is that in an RCB, each builder builds upon what was left by previous builders, instead of having each builder build one part independently. The RCB, I think, makes it easier for newer builders (whether they be new to MOCing, LDD, or both) to join in.

The RCB, I think, makes it easier for newer builders (whether they be new to MOCing, LDD, or both) to join in.

Agreed! :classic:

Then for my vote I will go with nothing different except a new theme and a mix of old and new Relay MOCers.

I'm happy to report that we've coerced a poor victim found someone willing to devote their time and energy to take on the challenge of hosting our next RCB! :pir-sweet:

lddscreenshot60.png

Another RCB! And it's Pirates! :cry_happy:

Looking forward to it, and thanks to whoever's hosting. :classic:

Will you guys be changing any aspects of the RCB suggested in the poll?

Looking forward to it, and thanks to whoever's hosting. :classic:

Will you guys be changing any aspects of the RCB suggested in the poll?

I'm not hosting, but I know enough of what's going on behind the scenes to know that there will be some changes from previous RCBs. I'm not sure what exactly is going to change as far as the choices in the poll, but there will be some.

I suggest something like this:

for the next RCB. Don't worry, because while it is a licensed thing, what I have in mind is a racing paddock and pit lane that can accommodate max. 10 teams, with two cars per team, and endless possibilities for vignetting, like the scenes in the clip above. Fig-scale, of course, but the cars can be 8-wide (minimum 6-wide like the Speed Champs sets) to better represent your car and the team you've created. There's no need to worry about canon and authenticity, because there's no underlying plotline or storyline as well as characters. For now, there are two choices: Formula One or GT3 like the clip above, though I personally want the GT3 theme because of the huge variety of cars and liveries that can be replicated. Think Hoexbroe's MegaMOC with the race cars, but only the pit lane and start/finish straight as the base. And don't worry about the windshield, wheel arches, or wheels, either.

If that suggestion gets chucked, I suggest a Creator Many-in-One model, with a base model and a challenge of creating an alternate model, and an alternate model of that alternate model.

I'd like to see SPACE RCB but without subtheme restrictions, it is: all known subs of LEGO Space would be allowed to participate :wink:

I'd like to see SPACE RCB but without subtheme restrictions, it is: all known subs of LEGO Space would be allowed to participate :wink:

This!