Sign in to follow this  
lightningtiger

REVIEW - Cars 2 - 8200-1: Radiator Springs Lightning McQueen

Last one for a while everyone.....I know it's still today but what the hey ! :laugh:

8200-1: Radiator Springs Lightning McQueen

0000_8200_0.jpg

Links - BRICKSET

As usual the back of the box next and it has the parts breakdown just like Classic Mater's box did. :wink:

0000_8200_1.jpg

Open the box and see whats inside boys and girls. :laugh:

0000_8200_2.jpg

Empty the bags and this is what you find. :wink:

0000_8200_3.jpg

Now for the printed parts, now they are totally different prints to the first set I reviewed.

0000_8200_4.jpg

0000_8200_5.jpg

0000_8200_6.jpg

Lets build Lightning McQueen shall we ! :grin:

0000_8200_7.jpg

0000_8200_8.jpg

0000_8200_9.jpg

0000_8200_10.jpg

Yep, don't forget the orange safety cone ! :laugh:

Now for another parting shot ! :wink:

0000_8200_11.jpg

'Man, you must need to chill out some more !'

:laugh:

Rating time everyone.

Design - 4/5 - now this looks like Lightning McQueen even though this rates higher than the other set involving him both are the same level of style and flare.

Parts - 4.5/5 - Ditto with thefirst review ! :wink:

Price - 4/5 - same as Mater except come on it's Lightning McQueen ! :laugh:

Playability - 5/5 - it's a racing car go figure ! :laugh:

Overall - 17.5/20....gee same as his first review !

Well thats it for now, need more money before I buy another set.....so keep on racing ! :grin:

I remember when the Cars movie came out. My older brother and I made some Mater cars and Racecars with our little collection of bricks. All in all, great review. I'd like to see the new movie when it comes out.

Once again, than you LT for sharing this fresh Cars review. :thumbup: Gotta admit I like this "Radiator Springs" McQueen better than the Grand Prix version, and it's a good thing it comes in a single vehicle set like the Mater one, much more affordable than acquiring him in a larger set.

I agree, this paintjob on McQueen looks much nicer (I thought it looked better than his racing paint did in the film as well). It's just a shame that those lovely printed 2x4 tiles stick out like that; it ruins the streamlined effect. He's still a cute little character, though.

Which target did you get them from :)

Hollywood Plaza.

In fact TTP has them too now, read the Aussie Sales thread for more details, Brick On 'OL' ! :classic:

It's just a shame that those lovely printed 2x4 tiles stick out like that; it ruins the streamlined effect.

As I see it, that is biggest flaw with this rendition of Lightning McQueen; having the wheels and side panels stick out really detracts from the appearance. Seeing as the printed hood/fender piece is unlikely to see much use outside of the Cars theme, it would have been nice to see it made a bit wider so it could cover the wheels and lead seamlessly into the sides. The same goes for the rear piece.

Thanks for the review, LightningTiger!

As I see it, that is biggest flaw with this rendition of Lightning McQueen; having the wheels and side panels stick out really detracts from the appearance. Seeing as the printed hood/fender piece is unlikely to see much use outside of the Cars theme, it would have been nice to see it made a bit wider so it could cover the wheels and lead seamlessly into the sides. The same goes for the rear piece.

Though I don't really like the parts sticking out myself, I think if they didn't then they would be considered even more "<insert that tiresome argument>" then they are now. :tongue:

It would also make it look a bit too streamlined, in my opinion.

Anyway, nice review.

I can picture how these new pieces can transition into City and World Racer sets. It's hard to see because they have so much printing on them. The trunk piece would be great for making 4-wide classic cars of the 1950s. The proportions wouldn't be accurate but it would be nice see a town setup where a minifigure is showing off his ride in a classic car show.

It is nice to see that the spoiler on the back is built differently.

Thanks for the review 'Lightningtiger'.

I don't think I'll pick up any Car's sets. They don't really appeal to me. default_sceptic.gif I guess thats because I've never actually sat down and watched the films default_laugh_new.gif

I like the 2x4 tiles and the SNOT used. I mean, it would have been very easy for TLG to go the McDonalds mini-racers way and just make 4 molds that make a very accurate but <insert that tiresome argument> design. But instead they did make sure to include some nice brick count and actually do something interesting in the parts that are not the roof or the front. And sure it sticks out, but it is supposed to look like a LEGO lightning McQueen, not like lightning McQueen.

Edited by vexorian

Hmmm, I really don't like this set- far too <insert that tiresome argument> and with pieces that are only of any use for the purpose of modelling that one car.

I suppose given the small scale of the vehicle it may have been the only way to make an identifiable likeness to the cartoon character but I can't see many AFOLs buying it for parts.

Thanks for the great review LT! :thumbup:

I personally think the whole car is let down by having the wheels sticking out. Kinda ruin the overall shape and detract the distinctive design similarities to the "actual" car in the movie :grin:

I'm actually,..well WE (my 3 y.o. daughter and I) are big fans of Cars.

BUT..,we consider buying this set..because it's of Lego :laugh: I wish Lego made a better front cowl to go with it. However Mater on the other hand is REALLY good.

Edited by Out of Sight

Thanks for the Review LT. I am in the same boat - with the side 2x4 pieces sticking otu it doesn't do much for me. They should have made the hood piece go the extra distance since it's hard to use that piece on anything else as was mentioned. I'm actually really dissapointed that the model itself is not as streamlined. Will I still buy the set - probably :laugh:

Thanks for the review !

I have a question about the wheels : is this a new diameter for them ? I can't figure out how big they are. For example, is it compatible with a minifigure sized car ?

Ah, yes those mag wheels they can fit the tyres from the green TS army jeep and 2008 city postal van/car. Oh, if you visit here you'll find a photo of what I mean on a small display rack I made in this MOC.....New Mannum Ford MOC.

Thank you to all who have read and also replied......I do another review soon....just after I buy a few POTC sets on sale ! :laugh:

Keep on burning rubber ! :grin:

Edited by lightningtiger