WesternOutlaw

Review: 7785 Batman - Arkham Asylum

I received the Arkham Asylum from Lego SAH today and couldn't wait to build it and provide the following image review.

Arkham Asylum (7785) is 860 pieces at $79.99 (US Dollars).

As early images show, the set includes three building structures, a guard tower, gate, ambulance, batcycle, batwing, and seven mini-figs.

The first image of the box:

01-box.jpg

And to just get it over with right away, the sticker sheet:

02-stickers.jpg

The main prison structure (largest of the three) and definately the most detailed:

04-prisonfront2.jpg

A closer shot of the front:

03-prisonfront.jpg

Hidden in the center of the roof is a small compartment to hide a rope for escapes:

05-rope.jpg

A side shot of the main building:

06-side.jpg

The first floor has a chair and control panel:

07-1stfloor.jpg

A lever pulls a gate over the inside of the door for "lockdowns":

08-1stfloor2.jpg

A shot of the lever outside the building:

09-1stfloorslide.jpg

The second floor includes three cells with a very clever mechanism that allows all to close at the same time. A shot with the cells open:

10-jail1.jpg

And partially closed:

11-jail2.jpg

The third floor contains the instruments for the mentally ill. Very nice detail.

12-topfloor.jpg

Let's have a look at the Batwing. It's the most useless part of the set. It can attach to the roof of the main building.

13-batwing.jpg

The front gate. It's a nice gate but really needs the sticker:

18-gate.jpg

The second building structure, cells for Ivy and Scarecrow:

19-scarecroejail1.jpg

Ivy's cell. Not much detail here:

22-ivyjailback.jpg

Scarecrow is kept in the tower. A door can be opened or separated as one piece for "break-outs":

20-scarecrowjail2.jpg

Scarecrow's cell:

21-scarecrowjail3.jpg

The third structure serves as another cell (this one with bars), and the second floor a place for guards to store their weapons:

26-short2.jpg

The backside:

27-short3back.jpg

The guard tower is simple, but works:

23-guardtower.jpg

It would have been great if Lego included a light that really works:

24-guardtower2.jpg

The ambulance. It's a very nice vehicle:

28-ambulance1.jpg

The backside opens and includes a gurney:

29-ambulance2open.jpg

And lastly, the mini figs:

Starting with Batman and Robin. This is the new (cool hair) Robin:

14-batmanrobin.jpg

The guards:

15-guards.jpg

Riddler and Poison Ivy:

16-riddlerivy.jpg

And the Scrarecrow. I like.

17-scarecrow.jpg

Oh, I almost forgot the Batcycle:

31-cycle.jpg

Summary

Arkham Asylum is the best of the Batman sets in my opinion. The set does have a Harry Potter castle feel to it with multiple buildings. I would have loved to see Lego place all of the various cells and rooms in one larger single building. The main structure is definately the most detailed with three floors and two mechanism that allow "lock-down". I esp. like the detail of the third floor. The other two buildings/towers are just OK. But the colors used work very well (black, dark grey, and brown). The set does contain a number of standard black bricks (1x1s, 1x2s, 1x3s, 1x4s, 1x6-8s). I like to see sets using regular pieces.

I love the use of numerous brown framed cell windows. The set contains at least 12. I also like the sloped walls used for the roofs. They make good roof pieces although large.

I like the ambulance and the cycle but the night/batwing is useless in my opinion. I suppose for children though, it probably adds to the playability factor.

As always, the figs are super. I esp. like the Riddler and Scarecrow.

Overall, this is my favorite of the Batman sets. It's definately worth the money!

Hope you find this review useful.

Tks for the review Brickster ;-)

This set is definitly a MUST have for all the Batfans out there !!

I like the details we couldn't see from the box art like those 3 cells, control panel, mentally ill instruments room 8-

Great review. I love those mini figures and the fact that you can put it on lock down!!!

I dont think I will get it though, as I fear the price point will be FAR too much over here. I wouldnt go higher than

Great set and a great review, the amount of figs alone makes this a must have for batman fans.

That said i expect that the price will mean alot of us dont get it.

Thank you for this interesting review and these very detailed pictures. It seems to be a well designed set, also with it

Great.

I love the detail that there are 3 extra cells, and 3 extra stickers, so you can indentify those cells as holders of The Joker, Two-Face and the Penguin. It's just a neat detail.

Wow, great reveiw, Mr. Brickster, I am definatly getting this set, even though it is overpriced. Just a thought, It looks SO silly that scarcrow gets to keep a barrel, some hay and HIS SYTHE IN HIS CELL. Furthermore, the villians have no jail suits or strait jackets. Lego should have included these in adition to their normal costumes. I'm just going to have to make some mods and post them here when I get this.

And expanding on ReZourceman's side note, that is Nightwing's cycle, not the batcycle.

I'm not familiar with the Nightwing character (in fact, I never heard of him). All this time I thought he was Robin in another costume. I guess I need to do some Batman reading.

Technically he is Robin in another uniform, but went with another name too ;)

And another Robin replaced him (well, twice).

Awesome!! Wow, I really need to put my efforts on this set, it is gorgeous and I do think this is the best set from the Batman collection.

Excellent review, the pics are amazingly detailed!!

The colors, the details and the minifigs are collectible ones.

*wub*

It looks SO silly that scarcrow gets to keep a barrel, some hay and HIS SYTHE IN HIS CELL.

I could see a barrel and the hay, but the scythe is a bit much.

Nice review! I really like this set, but doubt I'll get it, as I'm more a fan of castle and space, and the price is a bit high for me. :-/

Nice review! I want it, it would be a nice add for my town!

WOW! very nice!!!

Nightwing's got cool hair! wow!

And L'Epouvantail looks really fricking nice. I'd buy this set just for him, since he's my fav villain.

The building itself is a piece of art, I'd totally buy that...But, I'm refraining from buying any Batman Sets for some stupid reason (Lack of space), besides, they don't really fit with my SW/Space and Mecha Theme here.

Hm, I was building the main building, and I noticed the 2x4x1 45 degree slopes were smooth, whereas past slopes had texture to them. Why the sudden change? Are these cheaper or something? When did it start?

Hm, I was building the main building, and I noticed the 2x4x1 45 degree slopes were smooth, whereas past slopes had texture to them. Why the sudden change? Are these cheaper or something? When did it start?

I didn't even notice. But it probably is cheaper. Lego quality is really slipping!

I was just looking at the box to this set and noticed something odd. Pictured on the box are two bats, one on the Poison Ivy/Scarecrow tower (the tallest tower pictured on the right of the box), and the other on the small tower structure with open cell (far left).

But yet I know I only counted one bat when building this set. I thought I had maybe lost a bat or left one in the package. X-O After spending some time going "batty" *wacko* , I looked at the piece inventory in the instructions to discover that the Asylum only includes one bat.

Definately a discrepancy in the picture (or) the piece selection. >:-(

01-boxbat2.jpg

Your review just confirmed it! I'm so going to get this set. It definately looks the most detailed of the bunch. I love Sacarecrow, my favourite fig of the whole line. Just a question: why do you never put the capes?

Anyway, thanks for the review. :-)

Shakar

Your review just confirmed it! I'm so going to get this set. It definately looks the most detailed of the bunch. I love Sacarecrow, my favourite fig of the whole line. Just a question: why do you never put the capes?

Anyway, thanks for the review. :-)

Shakar

There are no capes in this set, I think. Not even Batman has one here.