Sign in to follow this  
Legostein

What if 1 stud was 50 meters long?

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Hello everybody!

Today I am a bit excited, because it's something brand new and special I will show to you now. :sweet:

Regarding the fact that an Imperial Star Destroyer is 1600 meters long, and the official MIDI ISD by LEGO® is 31 studs in length, this gives a scale where 1 studs equals 50 meters (it would be exact if set 8099 was 32 studs, but it is still a very accurate approximation).

With I'd like to define the MIDI ISD Scale: 1 stud = 50 meters...

... and start my new MIDI modelling line with all models being to scale with the official MIDI Star Destroyer 8099. :classic: Hence all models are to scale with each other. So let's begin fleet building, and instructions are provided free as usual! :sweet:

----------------------------------------------

Let's see some fleet pictures first before we go into detail for each vessel. :classic:

venator-midi-13.jpg

venator-midi-08.jpg

venator-midi-10.jpg

venator-midi-12.jpg

First to be shown is the Venator Attack Cruiser from "Revenge of the Sith". The construction was pretty tough, as it required angles everywhere to realize the dagger-shape. The first image is the size comparison with the MIDI ISD (8099). You see how tiny the Venator is compared to the much more powerful Star Destroyer. :classic:

venator-midi-13.jpg

venator-midi-01.jpg

venator-midi-02.jpg

venator-midi-03.jpg

venator-midi-04.jpg

venator-midi-05.jpg

venator-midi-06.jpg

Next we want to have a look at the Acclamator Assault Ship from "Attack of the Clones". The first image again shows the size comparison with the MIDI ISD (8099).

acclamator-midi-12.jpg

acclamator-midi-01.jpg

acclamator-midi-02.jpg

acclamator-midi-03.jpg

acclamator-midi-04.jpg

acclamator-midi-05.jpg

Another ship of the Old Republic Fleet is the Arquitens Light Cruiser from the "Clone Wars" TV series. As no official length is known yet for that ship, the scale was guessed according to the series material. First image is as usually the size comparison with the MIDI ISD (8099).

arquitens-midi-10.jpg

arquitens-midi-01.jpg

arquitens-midi-04.jpg

The last ship for today is from the opponent side, the Munificent Star Frigate from "Revenge of the Sith" again is exact MIDI ISD scale. You know it already, the first image is the size comparison with the official MIDI ISD (8099).

munificent-midi-07.jpg

munificent-midi-01.jpg

munificent-midi-02.jpg

munificent-midi-03.jpg

munificent-midi-04.jpg

munificent-midi-05.jpg

Okay, that's it for now. :classic: Please keep in mind that building at pre-defined scale is much harder and also very limited. Ships smaller than 300 meters can hardly be built, as this would be less than 6 studs in length, and thus reconizability will decrease. So there won't be that many MIDI models as there are MINI models. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Edited by KielDaMan
Indexed

Simply phenomenal Christopher. I love it. I have always wanted a Midi Venator. Thank you for sharing. This is a rather ambitious project. I can see how a Midi ISD scale fleet will be daunting. Piece choice will be even harder. Keep up the amazing work. I love seeing your work.

:thumbup:

Love the MIDI Venator, my son and I will have to try one of these out, thanks so much for the instructions! :thumbup: :thumbup:

:wub: Great to see you're going to be building a fleet for my favorite MIDI set! The Munificent is my favorite of these. The fact that it's shape is so hard to realize makes it more special to me. Can't wait to see where you go with this.

So are you going to do the smaller cruisers, like the Consular? (that'd be teeny at this scale - serious NPUs needed to build it :laugh: ) And most importantly, will you build the Executor? :grin:

Wouldnt the UCS Executor sort of be close to Midi ISD scale?

Definitely not. 10221 comes with a MINI ISD that's about a third of the size of the MIDI ISD.

Definitely not. 10221 comes with a MINI ISD that's about a third of the size of the MIDI ISD.

Not to mention that a midi-scaled Executor would be about 2.67m long. According to Anio 10221 is around half that size.

This reminds me the MIDI-scaled MOCs I made some time back, though they didn't turn out very good...

redemption_tantive.jpg

Don't even bother asking what they're supposed to be. :laugh: I guess MINI just isn't my thing.

Edited by fallenangel309

Don't even bother asking what they're supposed to be. :laugh: I guess MINI just isn't my thing.

Nebulon-B and Tantive IV? :grin: Edited by Brickdoctor

It's nice to know you're expanding your field of expertise to MIDI-scale building now Christopher, and this fleet of cruisers are definitely as high-quality as your mini-builds. Excellent job once again and looking forward for more of these midis. :thumbup:

Nice to see you branching into a new field Legostein! I think I feel a new title in your near future :grin: , and it's great to see you didn't skimp out on your first installment, these creations look marvelous! Midi is the new black! can't wait for what you wow us with next! :sweet:

Lovely as ever, Christopher ! I think I'll have to build a MIDI scale Venator using your instructions - it's superb !

D.

redemption_tantive.jpg

Hmm if that is the Tan IV you should have used a brush piece for the engine block, and a 2x1 smooth tile.

Hello again,

thank you for all the nice comments. :classic: It's great to see that you appreciathe the new concept. Now to answer two freqzently asked questions, no it is not to scale with the new Super Star Destroyer set, as has already been mentioned. But yes, I will definitely post more MIDI ISD-scaled ships. BUt please remember, these are much more difficult to build and much more rare. So don't expect one new every week. :wink:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

I have a cheeky question, Christopher - do you have a parts inventory for the Midi Venator you could share ?

Thanks !

D.

How about trying one of these Legostein. I don't think I've ever seen one in bricks, or even this, neither have the full size spec but here is a size comparison with the Venator and the Victory II.

Hello,

I am glad to answer your questions of course. :classic:

I have a cheeky question, Christopher - do you have a parts inventory for the Midi Venator you could share ?

Of course, I have a parts list. I could PM you the list this week-end (I currently do week-end building due to real-life job far away). I am extremely reluctant to post parts lists openly. I even did not want to post the instructions for the new series because some unfair people keep on stealing my mini mocs for their movie purposes. This really drives me mad. As soon as you post a credit-reminder in their profiles they start calling you names. Annoying. I was one step before deleting all mocs and instructions.

So, if anyone wants a parts list, please drop me a line. :classic:

How about trying one of these Legostein. I don't think I've ever seen one in bricks, or even this, neither have the full size spec but here is a size comparison with the Venator and the Victory II.

There are so many strange additional comic starship classes, that I have no intention doing these, sorry. :wink: However, I do already have a Vitory Star Destroyer. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

No, dont let the freeloaders steal your thunder. I gladly give credit where it is due, especially if I dont know that you were the creator. (Bows to the creator!!)

Keep up the amazing work. I dislike snobs who post up their LDD MOCs, dont share the LDD file when asked politely.

Keep your your great work. Many members here greatly appreciate your amazing MOCs and your generosity.

YES! Finally Legostein builds in MIDI scale (I've been waiting a while for you to do so)! I absolutely love the Venator and can't wait to see more. Maybe only post 1 midi model at a time since they are more time-consuming.

Hello!

I dislike snobs who post up their LDD MOCs, dont share the LDD file when asked politely.

Exactly. It has always been my intention to provide inspiration and building fun for fellow fans. :classic:

Maybe only post 1 midi model at a time since they are more time-consuming.

Yes, that's what I should do. :classic: I just wanted to give the new line a good start with all prequel models I had thus far. :classic:

See you around,

~ Christopher

whats the scale for the standrad sets? :hmpf_bad::look:

Standard sets as in sets from lego? There's no official or consistent scale. It's just what looks best with the size you're going for. You can set a scale for yourself, in case of this thread 1 stud= 50 meters, or for a scale closer to minifig scale 1 stud= 1 foot, though you are gonna run into some troubles with the difference in ratios between humans and minifigs.

This is awesome stuff Legostein. I was wondering if someone would try and use the new ISD Midi scale like this! Its a really well executed fleet and the Venator is a particular beauty. :wub:

Your work reminds me of the project Brick Commander set for himself using the old UCS ISD scale a few years back. The two of you also have a similar generosity of spirit when it comes to sharing instructions and inspiration! :thumbup: