• Outstanding

indexed.gif

Escape from Dragon's Prison Set #7187 Review

185 Pieces

SRP $19.99

Escape from Dragon's Prison could be considered the army builder set

of the latest Kingdom's wave. It comes with four minifigures and the

first dragon minifigure with a horse and dark green barding. The prison

structure is small but has some nice play features.

3 bags and instructions (no card board wrapping, but in good condition)

5673839975_055591dc75.jpg

The Minifigures- new face prints for me and no pink torsos

5674407456_805206105b.jpg

Double-sided heads

5673839455_845f8ccf0e.jpg

Dragon Knight- probably my main reason to buy multiple versions of this set. The torso is not a new version, but as Inkog pointed out in his post on the Kingdom sets, it is a new armor printing along with the drak grey helmet and visor. The large shield is also new.

5674407518_782102fb44.jpg

Full Set View

5673839789_9a598056dc.jpg

Front View of the Prison- lots of brown pieces for battlements.

5673839683_c008ec4497.jpg

Rear View of the Prison- prison door and precious ruby

5674407782_668ffc4493.jpg

Short archway - not quite high enough for a mounted knight to pass under.

5674407812_cee4592b70.jpg

Extra pieces- not much but that is to be expected from a small set

5674407886_50ec9d48ac.jpg

I think this is a great set for the figures that are included as all the

mounted knights in the prior Kingdom sets were at higher price points ($50 and $100)

Dragon Knight leaving the mountain fortress (unfortunatelly not included in the $20 set)

5674407922_c5574a2f11.jpg

My link

Edited by Rufus
Indexed! Poll Added

Thanks for the review! I didn't realize until now that there are 4 minifigs instead of 3! All the more incentive to grab this set. Also, does one of the dragon knight have a chipped tooth?

Up until I read this review I hadn't realized that the knight couldn't ride through the gates. That kind of sucks. I guess it's a good thing I was planning to use this set to flesh out the Prison Tower anyway, since it makes sense for the back door to be a small escape hatch.

But that's three, no, four strikes against this set:

1. Facade
  2. Not the same width as Prison Tower
  3. No new torsos (Dragon breastplate doesn't count)
  4. Gate too small

The Dragon Knight looks great, but the set really doesn't. This is my least favorite set of the new wave.

Also, does one of the dragon knight have a chipped tooth?

Yes, there is a chipped tooth, probably similar to the convicts in the City police sets.

Thanks Wakeboard, nice review. Love those new heads and will be getting a few for the Dragon knight and extra pieces to build a real Dragon Knight Fortress.

I kind of like this set. I do not mind the Knight can not ride in the gate. Not a major deal for me as I will buy two, combine them and make my own structure. :classic:

Dude! I wasn't expecting reviews of the new Kingdoms sets for ages, this is very welcome! :sweet: Looks like a winnner for me, i want multiples of this one. Thanks for the early review! :thumbup:

Thanks for the review 'MCNwakeboard', well this is an interesting set. Why, 2 good and 2 bad guys - which ever side you take ? plus a small prison. I see Lego's idea here, this is a birthday present set....priced right and with enough for a kid to be happy with especially if he or she doesn't have any Kingdoms Lego.

AWESOME printing on the Dragon knights armour too ! :grin:

Okay, I'll add it to the buy list now (but when it's on sale) :wink:

Thanks for the review! The horse with barding and the knight are great, but the prison isn't good at all, and it's even worse that it's too small for the knight. There's good parts for castle fans I think, but none that interest me too much. I think I'll pass on this one.

Thanks for the review! I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that there are actually quite of lot of new faces included in this set. That definitively raises the value of the set!

ǝʌǝʇS

˙sǝuo pǝpᴉs ǝƮqnop ʎƮƮɐᴉɔǝdsƎ ˙sǝɔɐɟ ʍǝu ǝʌɐɥ oʇ pooɓ sʎɐʍƮᏌ

Thank you for the review! I've been waiting to see what the night looks like up-close and he really is as good as the HD pics show him to be! :thumbup:

I still find the horse barding's gap quite puzzling though; it's as if they decided to take out the middle of the print! :wacko:

Nonetheless a great army builder set for all of us who have been awaiting the dragon knight cavalry to arrive. I like the face on the Dragon guard/soldier; he's got the town fool look going for him! :laugh:

Thank you for the review. I am jealous. I'm tempted to order online; but, I think I'll wait a couple more weeks.

Thanks for the review! The minifigs look great and I think all of those faces are new, at least to my collection. The new dragon armor with the one dragon face looks like an improvement over last year's armor. The structure isn't much to write home about, but I think you can make it be the backside of last year's prison tower. The idea of parts of a structure released across multiple sets is both intriguing and disturbing to me; I wonder if we will see more of that in the future.

Edited by Zeya

This set is great! Thanks for the early review! I honestly think that this is the best set of the new wave. I know that the mill set is great, but this is a nice small set with my new favourite fig from Kingdoms: The Dragon General! His armour is great, the helmet just kicks bricks, and the long shield and barding is just perfect! But what blows me away the most about this set it the fact that there are two figs with double heads! I understand a lot of double heads in leicensed themes, but in normal themes too! This is a gift! The new dragon knight face is awesome. His normal expression seems like a rather pompous smirk, while he has a really angry pissed off face. You would not want to accidently spill his mug of ale!

Again, thanks for the review!

I still find the horse barding's gap quite puzzling though; it's as if they decided to take out the middle of the print! :wacko:

I agree that it would look better if the printing had a more complete look. I took a picture to compare it to the other Kingdom pieces and it actually isn't all that different from the barding from the prison tower escape set as they booth look like the printing was cut off. Perhaps the Lion piece doesn't appear as noticeable because you can see the black outline and you assume the armor ends there, but they both have the chain mail that appears to be cut off in the middle. The barding from the Crownies and other factions have bad good print jobs across the whole horse, so I know they have the ability to do a better job.

5681827355_70f8b88e01.jpg

5681827403_e3c9684875.jpg

It's possible that they decided barding pieces would all have a gap in the printing in anticipation of later sets with saddlebags or harness attachments, since they just started making saddlebag-type containers on the POP camel and they've started to do more harness horse sets in this and in POTC. Admittedly, the camel wasn't wearing barding, and I would assume they've had horses in harness before. I dunno, it's the only reason that makes any sense to me.

I've just realized that the antenna/flagpole has a flat top! This was news to me. Admittedly, it's not much of a change, but it's always nice to have new pieces. Here it is on bricklink, only in white yet (from other sets), but that is sure to change soon:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3957b

The fact that Rider on a horse don't fit in gate is a big disapoint- but 4 new heads (at least for me)+ Dragon shield and horse barding= Must have.

But really another rat? They could add a bottle... Or chicken lol.

Edited by Lordofdragonss

Here is a small modification I did with a second Escape from Dragon Prison Set. It is now, the Dragon City Gates set. All of it was built using pieces from the two sets.

5795546650_964a23814a.jpg

5794988215_685fe5f683.jpg

Here is a small modification I did with a second Escape from Dragon Prison Set. It is now, the Dragon City Gates set. All of it was built using pieces from the two sets.

I just wanted to do something like this (but with one gate)! Thanks for idea, your citygates looks really nice!

Edited by Lordofdragonss

This is probably my favourite set of the new wave, even though I don't care for the structure that is included.

The great thing is though (as was stated in the review), this is an 'army builder' set, for sure...and the 'meh' structure is a great 'parts pack' for adding on to the Dragon's little fortress from wave one, or some similar type of thing.

I've already picked up two and I can see myself getting at least a few more (on sale, of course).

This set is definitely a case of 'the parts being greater than the whole' and I would highly recommend any Castle/Kingdoms fans to pick this up.

I just built this on the weekend, and I have to say that aside from the beautiful Dragon Knight, I was pretty disappointed.

I guess it's a reasonable army builder, but the least said about the structure (a prison cell with a hole in the roof? How is that supposed to work?) and the horrible "siege weapon" the better.