• Outstanding

Review: 7049 Alien Striker

Name: 7049 Alien Striker

Theme: Alien Conquest

Year: 2011

Pieces: 42

Minifigs: 2

Price: £3.99/$4.99

This is my first review on Eurobricks, so any constructuive criticism and feedback would be welcomed, so that my future review can be better and of a higher level. :classic:

This morning I went to my local TRU, and they had all of the new Alien Conquest sets available, so I purchased 7049 and 7050.

Product Description

Stop the alien invader with the LEGO Alien Conquest Alien Striker (7049) set! The alien defense unit soldier is on the look out for an alien invader speeding around the city. Stop the outer space bully from capturing anything he can get his suckers on! Dodge the striker's laser guns and send the bug eyed invader back to where he came from!

Now to the review!

Box and contents

The box uses bright colours with Lime strips across two of the corners.

Box front and back:

5672172100_c87c25f0d1_z.jpg

5672182104_70e5ca4dc5_z.jpg

Box side:

5671618971_1249168c53_z.jpg

Box contents:

5671617491_c4b93b561b_z.jpg

Bag contents:

5671624123_327c5bd339_z.jpg

When you open the box, there is just a instruction booklet and one bag of parts, no sticker sheet and no big parts that aren't in the single parts bag.

Instructions:

5672295548_e572945042_z.jpg

They have the same image on the cover of them that is on the box.

Random instructions page:

5671625451_c2ab3ac3e6_z.jpg

As you can see, the colours of the parts are easy to see and the page is Lime and has darker green patterns on it that are just noticeable.

Minifigs

Both of the minifigs that come in this set are great, and they pratically make the set, with the spaceship being as small as it is.

The Alien Defence Unit (ADU) soldier has his helmet, torso and legs in the new Azure blue colour. There is printing on both sides of the minifig's head as well as its torso. This set has the long-awaited Trans-Clear visor in it. One side of the minifig's head shows the soldier with a grin/smirk on his face, but when you turn it round, he has a sort of shocked/confused face.

ADU Soldier:

5671627927_4e3d93e2d0_z.jpg

5672196656_57560b9cbd_z.jpg

Here is a comparison of the ADU soldier and the Spaceman minifig from Series 1:

5671637503_4a3844b923_z.jpg

The Alien Trooper (as he's referred to on the TRU site) has a printed head, that is made from normal ABS instead of silicon, like the Atlantis molded heads are. His head is Lime green with a printed brain-like pattern on top and comes in a little bag within the parts bag. The Alien Trooper only has printing on the front of his torso and legs. His arms are either Dark Pink or Magenta (I can't tell which).

Alien Trooper:

5671626807_c75ed20718_z.jpg

5671629273_4e970c4165_z.jpg

His head piece in its bag:

5672187648_9381b50d28_z.jpg

Here is a comparison of the Alien Trooper and the Alien minifig from Series 3:

5671620517_02bb330bab_z.jpg

Build

The spaceship is a quick build, and it has a nice shape to it. Here are some pictures of the build and the new/interesting pieces:

New/Interesting Pieces:

5672188922_16fa5cdc6c_z.jpg

There is the new gun piece and the visor in Trans-Clear, as well as 1 x 1 round plate sin Dark Purple and a light blue colour (I'm not sure what colour it is).

After step 4:

5671636109_f1f62020a1_z.jpg

After step 8:

5671631533_765e1c6d85_z.jpg

After step 12:

5671635083_aa3d7f5cd6_z.jpg

After step 14:

5672200122_1320295eb2_z.jpg

The Complete Set

5671640079_5ecf22e4b6_z.jpg

Extra parts:

5671638809_8c0859aac9_z.jpg

My Ratings:

Minifig: 9/10

The minifigs are great and detailed, with the soldier being in a new colour and havin the visor in Trans-Clear and the Alien have an excellent molded head piece. To make the minifigs 10/10, I would say that the Alien could have back printing and the Soldier could have had a new helmet, but that is just nitpicking at these great minifigs.

Parts: 8/10

The parts in this set are good, with some great new ones such as the gun and Trans-Clear visor. It would ahve been nice if there were some printed tiles in this set.

Build/Design: 8/10

The design is good, but to improve, the space ship could have a bit more height/depth to it.

Playability: 7/10

The playability is good, children can swoosh the spceship nicely but the Soldier has nothing to chase him on and can only 'shoot' at the spaceship.

Price: 9/10 Great value for money, but I wouldn't mind 50p off the RRP.

Overall: 41/50 A great Little set! :classic:

Thanks for reading. :thumbup:

~buddy~

Yay! Another Alien Conquest review, thanks for sharing this buddy! :thumbup: I'm lovin' this cute little set - you get two new cool minifigs, that sweet double-barrel gun, and a bunch of parts for 5 bucks, not a bad deal IMO.

I'll be honest, I haven't followed the news from this theme. Didn't interest me! But, I may have to grab this set, just for the alien head. Might work for a Dex head from Star Wars.

Also, I never noticed it before other alien, could pass for Ree-Yees from Jabbas Palace!

Thanks for the review! You my the reason I buy this set, but, if I do it will be to do the above.

Thank again, Jamie

Thanks for the review! It's good timing as I'm working on an index update right now. (It's nice to have sets to add for Sci-Fi again... :cry_happy: ) I'm loving this new theme!

(As requested criticism :tongue: ;the photos. I'm not sure how you're lighting them, but if you modify your "white-balance" you can fix that easily. Other than that it's a great first review.)

Thanks for the comments everyone! :classic:

(As requested criticism :tongue: ;the photos. I'm not sure how you're lighting them, but if you modify your "white-balance" you can fix that easily. Other than that it's a great first review.)

Thanks for the criticism, the lighting was natural and the backgroung was simply a piece of white paper. Also thanks for the tip about 'white balance', I've just set it differently on my camera. :thumbup:

~buddy~

This is a nice review of a very good set. I still don't like the ADU soldiers, after seeing more of them, I hate the colour scheme even more now. But that won't stop me buying some of these sets.

I love the alien. I think its oversize grumpy big lime green face is perfect. I like the way that you could use the collectible series alien as some sort of commander race, and these fat faced lime bulldog hulks as the stupid foot soldiers! But, best of all for an impulse set that alien speeder is looking very nice straight out of the box. Normally impulse sets are just about the minifigs, and whilst this is sure to be an alien army builder, the vehicle looks desirable as it is.

Hi buddy, I really like this review, although it's a small set you have taken some good comparison pictures and covered pretty much everything.

Another new space theme! *oh2*

I think this is more of a bonus theme for the space police line.

The set looks great though. Especially the new ADU soldier.

The gun looks quite cool also. It might be able to fit with some Star Wars sets also.

Nice review Buddy! :thumbup:

There go my hopes for the small set to have an alien gun. It would have been an excellent set if it had one.

Even without it, it is a great set. But I sometimes don't get TLG.

Great first review Buddy default_thumbup.gif. I've never been interested that much in the space theme but theres something about alien conquest which makes me want to buy it. It's probably because of the civilian side of it default_classic.gif

Hey, is the tip of the double barrel spaced the same as the binoculars?

And can we see the figures with a uniform swap?

Edited by SpiderSpaceman

Very nice. The set is just okay, but what can you expect from this price. The minifigs are amazing though! :thumbup:

Hey, is the tip of the double barrel spaced the same as the binoculars?

And can we see the figures with a uniform swap?

It is, if you watch the jetcopter (or is it the jet in the HQ?) closely, they have binoculars attached to one of these guns.

These Alien sets are great. For me personal they have the same feeling old sets have from when I was a kid, 20 years ago now. So far all of the new sets (exept for some castle) failed to have this cool aura around them. Could be that kids of these days don't like em and still focus on Star wars, but I do anyway.

Great review, and I'll definitely be picking a few of these up - one for my desk and plenty of others to build up an army of those little alien's - I love the new Blue suits too - A fantastic little set with 2 minifig's!

That reverse side of the head puts this set on my must have list. It's just too hilarious. Why can't they make some more interesting heads for say the castle themes? The action themes all get the best face prints.

Nice, clear review. I wasn't sure about this set, but now it looks pretty good for $5. The minifigs are cute, and that alien trooper will fit in quite nicely with the assorted villainous alien types I've got from SP3 and Atlantis. I love how this theme has a different flavor from SP3, but still works together with it.

Oooo this is a must buy not just for the cool figs but the rarer lime jumpers, purple round plates and curved slopes and vent slopes, oh my! Thanks for the review buddy. :thumbup:

I swear when I first saw that alien my first thought was it was the baddies from The Fifth Element It looks just like em

I will be buying these for the aliens they are just cool

The arms are indeed magenta (124 Bright Reddish Violet). In nerdy color-related trivia, Bright Reddish Violet is actually in the same color family as the old pink (9 Light Reddish Violet) and dark pink (22 Medium Reddish Violet). Of course, since then, the old pink and dark pink have been replaced with bright pink (222 Light Purple) and... a new color Bricklink also calls dark pink (221 Bright Purple). Also in terms of colors, the ADU uniforms are colored 321 Dark Azure, a brand-new color for this theme.

Anyway, great review, even though the pics seem awfully discolored. Love the ADU officer's expressions!

These sets are pretty cool. I really like the new alien heads and the guns are interesting themselves. This is a neat line for TLG to release, should be a good time for sci-fi fans with a broad array of possibilities for official sets.