Sign in to follow this  
Randal

LDD Hoberman Sphere

I was working on this Hoberman Sphere in LDD (based on a picture I saw of one online) and I knew I would have some fine tuning collision errors. What I didn't count on was my lack of the patience required to fix and finagle it into completion. If this sounds like a fun challenge for any of you, I encourage you to download my LXF and post the finished results here for all to enjoy. (Including me.)

I made this in unlimited mode, so I didn't really bother to check if it has proper PaB compatibility. (Not one of my strong suits, sorry Aanchir...) Since I consider this a community project, feel free to post a color corrected version here if you wish.

hoberman_incomplete.png

Incomplete Sphere LXF

That looks like the one. Can we please keep images at a manageable size? Thanks. =)

It actually doesn't take much to check for PaB/DbM compatibility. Just click the "Check whether the model can be purchased" button in your tools palette. All parts that can be purchased will become transparent (in this case, none of the parts). You can then click the first option (Switch all non-buyable bricks with bricks that can be bought) to color-correct your model. Alas, it doesn't solve the problem in this case-- angle connector #3 (part 32016) simply isn't available on DesignByMe mode or Pick-A-Brick in any color.

If you want the parts buildable in real life using parts from sets or from Bricklink, it's a lot easier. Only a few parts are in colors here that they haven't appeared in in actual sets:

• The bright blue friction pins (2780) obviously need to be changed to black.
  • The bright green angle connectors (32013) need to be changed to another color. To maintain the vivid color-coding, I'd recommend bright blue (incidentally one of the most common options, and probably one of the cheapest for this quantity), dark green (BL's Green), or bright yellowish green (BL's Lime).
  • The bright orange Technic bricks (32000) also need to be changed to another color. To keep them just as vivid as they are here, bright blue, dark green, and bright yellowish green are again feasible options-- whichever one you didn't use for the angle connectors. Of these colors, bright blue and dark green are also colors which the boat plate (2654) and 2x2 tile (3068) could be colored. Another option, not as colorful but equally vivid, is white.

I can't say I have any more patience with the hinge tool than you do, so I won't be finishing this up for you. It might actually be easier to calculate specific hinge angles that will work and then rebuild the thing from scratch using numerical angle input. Whatever you end up doing, though, great work on this model, and I'd love to see it finished!