Brick Tamland

REVIEW: 4194 Whitecap Bay

thindexedgif.gif

My first review here on Eurobricks, so bear with me :) I was so excited to build this set I didn't take any pictures of the build, which took about an hour. The pictures are not the greatest quality due to the lighting I have to deal with here.

Official Description: Relive movie moments with the LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean Whitecap Bay (4194)! Captain Jack Sparrow and his band of pirates are lying in wait, plotting to capture one of the mysterious mermaids of Whitecap Bay. Hide inside the lighthouse, then use the searchlight to spot them in the murky depths below. Shoot the net from the boathouse cannon when they get close to shore! Beware of the whale oil barrels tipping near the open flames!

img_2783.jpg

Front of the box.

img_2790.jpg

Back of the box.

img_2791.jpg

img_2794.jpg

Two instruction books are included.

img_2797.jpg

Also inside are a sticker sheet and a collectible card. There is also a poster.

The set contains 6 minifigs including four exclusive to this set. They are all excellent, featuring front and back printing. Both Jack and Scrum feature leg printing as well. The mermaids, Jack, and Phillip feature alternate head printing as well.

img_2737.jpg

The mermaids have great hair pieces and carry strands of seaweed. The tails work forwards or backwards which is nice for posing them.

img_2738.jpg

From the back.

img_2742.jpg

Alternate head prints.

Jack's torso is the same as the one found in several of the other sets. He sports his hat and compass in this set. Phillip is wearing a great black torso and the same wig as Will Turner in the Mill set. Phillip is exclusive to this set. Both feature back printing.

img_2745.jpg

img_2747.jpg

Back printing and alternate head printing.

img_2748.jpg

Scrum is another minifig exclusive to this set. He features a great looking brown torso and leg printing. I think his face is also really cool, with a scruffy looking beard and scar over his eye. The gunner zombie is the same as that found in the other sets.

img_2750.jpg

Both feature back printing but no alternate head printing as there isn't any place to hide it.

Now onto the rest of the set. The movie trailer hints that Jack must capture a mermaid, and that seems to be the basis for this set. It includes two great black rowboats with lamps, oars, and buckets. It also includes a net with a plastic rope for a minifig to hang on to.

img_2752.jpg

The net folds up nicely and allows for the capture of a mermaid!

The build for this set is divided up nicely into modules, each with their own bag of parts which makes the build go relatively quickly. The first module is a large 4x4 barrel on a stand. It holds a few black 1x1x1 round bricks and can be tipped over onto a bad guy. Also included are another barrel with a bunch of the new pearl gold coins. As others have mentioned, these look pretty bad when compared to the old pirate coins. Hopefully all the negative feedback will make Lego go back to the chrome gold if/when there is a second round of POTC sets.

img_2754.jpg

img_2755.jpg

Pull the pin and the barrel tips over. The lid doesn't always fall off, but its a decent play feature.

The lighthouse is the next module in the build. This is one of the highlights of the set in my opinion(pun intended). The build is fairly straightforward with a bit of snot work and some hidden play features.

img_2758.jpg

One of the coolest features of this set is the working light at the top of the tower. It uses a lightbrick with a magnifying glass to focus the beam of light. This actually works pretty well.

img_2759.jpg

img_2762.jpg

It would be nice if there was a way to keep the light on without having to hold the button down.

img_2765.jpg

The tower consists of three floors. On the first floor is a small table with two stools. On the table is one of the new bottles and an astrolabe. The second floor is empty aside from two steering wheels on the wall which don't actually do anything. There is a mechanism on this floor that knocks out the side walls and collapses the top of the tower.

img_2766.jpg

img_2767.jpg

I assume this is a reference to something that will happen in the movie, but I haven't seen it yet so I can't say for sure. It easily knocks out the two sidewalls, but the top of the tower only collapses about half the time. The build is very solid, so it stays together when it does fall down. The only pieces that tend to fall off are the two 1x1x1 brown cones on the top that sometimes pop off and go missing.

The final two modules of the build are the small connecting room and the cannon building.

img_2768.jpg

This portion of the set features the giant cannon mounted on a sliding track. The cannon fires another mermaid catching net. There is a plunger inside the cannon, which when flicked from the rear will fire the net a meter or so.

img_2770.jpg

img_2772.jpg

Inside the connecting room are a square barrel with a shovel and pickaxe, and another new bottle. You can see the track system for the cannon and the firing plunger.

img_2773.jpg

img_2774.jpg

Pseudo-action shots of the cannon!

And finally a shot of the completed set.

img_2777.jpg

My Ratings:

Minifigs: 9/10

The minifigs are excellent and one of the highlights of the set. Two are duplicates from other sets, but one of these is Jack, so thats to be expected. The mermaids have great head printing and hairpieces that will be great for Mocing. I would give this a 10/10 if the gunner zombie was a different minifig.

Parts: 10/10

Lots of dark grey! A light brick, two new bottles, and two of the new sword scabbards. This would make a great parts pack for any castle fan.

Build/Design: 9/10

I really like the modular build. There were some repetitive steps and some of the elements are a bit fragile until they're fully assembled. The set is much bigger than it looks in pictures. Since it is supposed to sit on the waters edge, a baseplate would have been nice.

Playability: 9/10

Lots of play features. The collapsing tower would be better if it worked all the time.

Price: 8/10

I did get this half price at TRU after buying the QAR, so for me it was a bargain. However, at full price I feel it is about $10 too high.

Overall:46/50

This is a really cool set overall. It is the biggest of the POTC sets aside from the QAR and features some great minifigs and play features. I bought this set(and the other POTC sets) primarily for moccing, and it really is going to be tough for me to tear this one down.

Hopefully everyone likes this review. If you feel there is something I missed, please ask and I'll try to address it.

Thanks! I have wanted someone to review this for ages. Arg... the only set I don't want is the captains cabin! Why must this line be so amazing?

Thank you for the review! :classic:

I love this set, but I do also feel that it is $10-20 too expensive for what you get. If I see it on sale (which I'm sure I will eventually) I will definitely pick it up. But for now, I want to focus on the smaller sets.

I love the look of this set. I'm very glad that the designers chose to make this set primarily dark grey as opposed to the light grey that we typically get with Castle styled sets like this.

The figures in this line are amazing. Lego has really outdone themselves between the new Harry Potter and now Pirates of Caribbean sets.

-Derek

Shoulder blade prints! Those mermaids look so detailed. I won't be getting this set as I can't have all of them but this looks like a fun one nonetheless. Thanks for the review.

I just need to add that not all of the POTC sets have pearl coins. I don't know how or why but some people have bought 4181 Isla de Muerta and received chrome coins instead of pearl (but still pearl gold bars :pir-hmpf_bad: ). The chrome coins were in the classic style and not the new POTC design.

Edited by chris_austin

The colours in this set just look ..... wrong. I don't know how else to describe it.

Thanks for the review! I'm on the fence about this set. It's one of the two POC sets I haven't picked up yet. Due to the great minifigs I think I will have to pick one up next time I get paid.

Nice review, thanks for sharing! This set is pretty good, though not something I would purchase right away. It does offer those new mermaid tail pieces, which is very nice to have, as well as the other cool-looking figs.

Great Review! Well done! It seems a nice set, we'll have to think about it with the wallet :pir_laugh2:

Thanks for the thorough review!

This set now made the definite "to-buy"-list, alongside the Queen Anne's Revenge. On clearance, of course ;-). (Licensed sets regularly overstress my budget, so this is my only way to get them...)

As anticipated Whitecap Bay works as both castle-fit parts supply and a warehouse full of minifig-MOCing goodness. Especially that dark brown hairpiece of the mermaids is a must have, which hopefully sees some wider distribution in future (unlicensed!) sets (collectable series perhaps?).

Be well all!

Cutty

p.s.: Am I REALLY that fond of using "()"? My, gotta change that. (In the future ;-) )

Nice. Thanks for that review. This set is amazing! I haven't seen such a good lego theme before which is about the film. Figures are awesome I think. Maybe I will buy it.

Great Review! Nice looking figs and good parts selection. Those new mermaid pieces are looking mighty fine. I may just pick this set up.

Keep on Brickin'

~Bayonet

Does the cannon really fire "about a meter or so"? That seems like a pretty hefty distance for a plunger system.

Nice and excellent review there for someone first time writing a review! This review had me wanting to buy this set badly. Can't wait for more reviews on future products! :pir-classic:

This was the best surprise of all the PotC sets... I think it's a fantastic build and because I don't collect the Castle sets, there were some parts that are new to me. So here are my ratings:

Minifigs: 9/10

Some duplicates in figs, but still, the mermaids are fantastic and the two "new" figs fit the scenery very well.

Parts: 10/10

As written above, some parts were new to me and I was amazed that the magnifying glass really worked with the light brick.

Build/Design: 9/10

Really fun to build and the collapsing tower didn't compromise the tower (compliments).

Playability: 10/10

A lot of playable scenes, lot of action and a collapsing tower. Bravo.

Price: 8/10

The bottleneck for the complete PotC range, relatively expensive sets.

Overall:47/50

For all who love the pirates theme, PotC movies, Castle MOCers and/or just a fun playtime.

I think it's another very useful set, being a pretty realistic depiction of an 18th century lighthouse found on the both northern sides of Atlantic. Certainly allows a lot of possibilities for integration with many other sets.