Sign in to follow this  
gui45

My frigate now with three masts.

thindexedgif.gif 18b

Here are some new pictures of my frigate which I have modified lately.

Its name is La Prudence. It is now really a frigate as it is three masted. I have also made some modifications on the upper deck, I have added stairs on each side and I have changed the cannons which have wheels now (but they are fixed to the floor nonetheless.)

I�m pleased with what I have done but if I�d like it to be more historically accurate I should lower the third mast, get rid of its lower sail and add an extension of the bowsprit (I don't know the name in English.) But I like the way it is now, I find it homogeneous.

I have recently found a website about a replica of an 18th century frigate, which is by the way the one used for the movie Master and Commander. I was amazed to see that such a ship exist, so if you are interested have a look there : http://www.tallshiprose.org/

Edit by Phred: Changed link to back up pics.

What inspired you to make this ship a 3 master? My initial thought that the masts are a little close together therefore suggesting the ship might require lengthening but I must say overall you've done quite a good job.

You've even used official LEGO hulls this time opposed to building your own - was this because of the response you got in your previous thread or because it was faster and easier for you?

I have recently found a website about a replica of an 18th century frigate, which is by the way the one used for the movie Master and Commander. I was amazed to see that such a ship exist, so if you are interested have a look there : http://www.tallshiprose.org/

Websites like this are good! Soon I'll begin adding them to History section of The Great Library of Honduras. So you have done well to include it.

I wanted three masts so that it really look like a frigate, frigates are always three masted.

I thought of making it longer but the ratio width/length wouldn't be right and I think it would look too long afterwards. I have checked and the correct ratios of the 18 th century frigates were around 0.28 (and a little less at the end of the century.)

I don't understand all the comments about the hull as I have used official Lego hulls since the beginning of this project a few months ago. (You can check my other Brickshelf folders to see.)

I don't understand all the comments about the hull as I have used official Lego hulls since the beginning of this project a few months ago. (You can check my other Brickshelf folders to see.)

Its probably just me confusing your MOC with another because I've seen so many lately I've lost track of who created what.

I think this MOC is experiencing some confusion of being another MOC which had a hull creation entirely from bricks. I must say I like the 3 sails of this ship as it makes it look more powerful and complete. But I wonder what is the purpose of this thing. Is this a 'removable' feature of the ship?

7.jpg_thumb.jpg

I like the look of it in total, a simple look that is very effective. Do you happen to have any blue pennants to replace that red one on the foremast? I only ask because it's the 'blue guys' ship. I like how the stern flag is tilted by the way, that is another nice touch.

By the way, I also like that above picture. I try to take close up shots like that, but I can't seem to focus correctly on a consistent basis.

I wanted three masts so that it really look like a frigate, frigates are always three masted.

Not this one!

FS_Surcouf.jpg

I couldn't resist!

Thanks for the nice comments.

I named it La Prudence because I think it sounds good to me and it reminds me of the names of the frigates of this era.

About the Lafayette class frigate you have posted (these are the new light frigates of the French navy and this model is also an export success with exports to Taiwan, Singapore and Saudi Arabia) I have to say that I planned to build one but I abandoned due to the lack of parts, I don't know if I'll try to build one one day.

Phes, can you tell me why I can

Which Internet browser are you using? I've had many problems with Internet Explorer not allowing me to log in. No matter how many times I attempted to log in it would keep telling me I didn't have permission to reply to a particular topic. The problem persisted even after I deleted my Windows partition and resintalled everything.

So in the end I just decided to use Mozilla Firefox and I haven't had any problems.

Which Internet browser are you using? I've had many problems with Internet Explorer not allowing me to log in. No matter how many times I attempted to log in it would keep telling me I didn't have permission to reply to a particular topic. The problem persisted even after I deleted my Windows partition and resintalled everything.

So in the end I just decided to use Mozilla Firefox and I haven't had any problems.

I use Internet Explore on a fairly old Dell laptop and it works fine, I have no problems whatsoever. That's weird, If you get an error message telling you your not allowed to reply in a topic, that shouldn't be the browser's fault. And IE isn't overall faster or slower than Firefox or Netscape, different browsers are faster on some sites and slower on others.

I'm using Internet Explorer 6 (an early version I think)

But I think I have found how to post without this bug. In fact when I click on the link of the forums in my favorite links it doesn't really seem to work, on the contrary when I go to eurobricks.com main page and then go to the forum with the menu it seems to work. It is really weird.

I'm no expert on Internet browsers but use which method that works best for you. Just as long as you can post because it would be awful if you kept getting that denial message when we're all dying for you to respond!

Anyway.. Back to La Prudence... It doesn't have a figurehead! Not that every ship should have a figurehead for the sake of having one, but they do seem popular. Did you forget to include one, or didn't feel it was appropriate to have on aboard this particular ship?

I have thought of adding a figurehead lately but I don't know how to do it, I don't want a too big one (plus I have a sail just below the bowsprit.)

Maybe we can provide you with some figureheadly advice if you tell us what kind of figurehead you'd like to add.

I don't really know what to do apart from using a yellow minifig, I'd like to see if there are some other ways to make one.

Most of the figureheads on LEGO ships have been mini-figure torsos, but a couple broke the mould like the Caribbean Clipper which uses a red parrot and the Renegade Runner which uses a Dragon Knight Plume.

If you want to use a mini-figure torso then it should be easy to attach to your bow since its been done plenty of times before.

This is the figurehead of the Rose (the reference linked ship)

chester.jpg

And this is my lego rendition

figurehead.jpg

the arms were moved out of place while attaching it to the bow, but you get the idea

If you have something else in mind, post a pic and I'ld love to try and build something :-)

you use as a template for the top sails on your ship? Is there a lego part number that references a similar sail? How did you end up making your sails?

I made the top sails myself, trying to make a pattern similar to the Lego ones, I tried a few times before finding a pattern I like. The sails are just made of two sheets of paper glued together.

hhmm interesting i dont supposed you have a scanner and would scan the top sail for me so i could use it as a template and when i build my ship i credit you for the top sail?