colethegeek

MOC: Discworld

Hopefully there are other Discworld fans here. This is my tribute to my favorite author, Sir Terry Pratchett.

post-16973-130337045275.jpgpost-16973-130337051635.jpg

I made A'tuin using primarily pieces from the Ferocious Creatures (5868) set with only a few supplemental green pieces.

Hi Cole!

Awesome first MOC posted!

The proportion are great, and I like your brick-built elephants (your design?). Is the mountain the place where the gods live?

Pretty clever the use of the green hinge parts for the "toes" of your turtle.

I see you're new, why don't you go present yourself in the dedicated topic?

Hope to see other discworld MOCs, have fun here!

Paul

Excellent brickbuilt representation of the 'Flat Earth' fictional setting of Discworld Cole! Both the great turtle and elephants are very well done. Great job! :thumbup:

I really like the "toes" on the turtle feet made of hinge plates. The elephants also look cool. Is there any chance we can see the elephant design on it's own?

Thanks! This is my first MOC since my Dark Ages (and before that, it was mostly castles and vehicles). The mountain represents the Hub (the source of the Disc's magic), although since taking the photos I have slightly altered its position to be more centered on the world.

The elephants were my own design. I built them after I had completed the turtle, so my biggest challenge was building small enough elephants.

5641253482_97e70889d5.jpg5640683597_a97a0d74df.jpg5640683581_0b5b5a84d5.jpg

What a great representation! I particularly like your Great A'tuin - it's very stately and surprisingly organic looking. And those elephants are adorable! The disc itself is very well-done too. Making micro-scale terrain is hard, but you pulled it off pretty well.

May I also commend you on getting the geography absolutely correct! The only thing I might change would be to put in a bit of tan rimwards of the Circle Sea to represent the Klatchian Desert.

Once again, excellent job! I look forward to more Discworld MOCs!

Hello!

It's an absolutely amazing creation of this series! I always love to see other Science Fiction and fantasy worlds being created in bricks. :classic:

It's a pleasure to look at! Thanks for sharing. :classic:

See you around,

~ Christopher

Wow! :wub:

I'm a big fan of Sir Pratchett's work and this does it a incredible justice! You have a superb eye for making microscale models; all the lines in the elephants, turtle and the world are natural and realistic despite their small size! You have picked the perfect bricks/color choices for every single stud it seems and some incredibly subtle yet effective techniques add up to an amazing build over all! A+++ :thumbup:

I hope you do more of these!

Great work on your A'tuin.

Never thought of doing it like this. :thumbup:

And welcome,, good to see another Pratchett fan.

Oh goodness me, this is awesome! My flatmate and me just watched it awe-struck (she said the Unseen University is missing though). Fantastic work!!

The turtle moves.

(One criticsm. Cori Celesti and the surrounding mountains are disproportionally massive. Still, awesome stuff.)

Thanks all for the kind words! The turtle does indeed move (the head can move side-to-side and all of the fins rotate), it was my sort of joke when building it. I know the Disc isn't 100% accurate, but I am consistently changing it to remedy that (not an easy feat on such a small scale... and unfortunately I have been unable to get my hands on a copy of the Discworld Mapp). I would have loved to include the UU, but again, was worried that it wouldn't have worked on such a small scale.

I am sorry to say, that even in the construction, the Great A'Tuin's sex still remains unknown. :tongue:

It should be easy enough to find a large, detailed digital version of the Mappe online; you could use that.

As for the inclusion of features like UU, I think the scale of this model is much too small to do anything other than a gray tile for Ankh-Morpork. However, given the strength of this model, I would be very interested to see how you might handle a micro-scale AM as per the map at the front of Night Watch.