Sign in to follow this  
SirSven7

A look at the Pirate Sets from 1996 -1997

Hello Again all

Some of you might have noticed my posts looking at all the Pirate sets released by Lego

well now we have reach the final years of the orignal sets.

This post looks at 1996 and 1997.

1996 - 1997

I hope you like it

comments would be great.

Those reviews are a little harsh, but I sadly agree, the last years were the worst for the classic Pirates. I also agree that the Armada sets were the best among them, as it was a fresh theme, and at the same time it seemed the designers had run out of ideas for pirate bases and ships - the last few of them were a big letdown.

It's a funny thing, but when people my age look back and feel nostalgic about the classic Pirate sets, they usually mean the early sets, up to 1994 - 1995 tops. The later sets were a turn in the wrong direction IMO.

Edited by Dreamweb

Thanks for the feedback Dreamweb

Do you think I should change them maybe be a bit nicer, as a worry that I have been too harsh with these reviews, I love the Armada stuff from those years but the actual pirate sets are a big let down.

I am just not sure where to go with these reviews as I want to be honest about the sets but I feel bad about doing so as I love Lego Pirates a great deal.

Its true that my nostalga ends as well when we get into 1996 and 1997, i like the new pirate figs and I like the Armada but thats it.

Any advice on what to change would be apreciated.

Thanks

the pirate sets are nice and we have new pirate minifigs. We can see a 3rd pirate captain in Pirates Perilous Pitfalls...and pirate ambush is cool too. The only set i don't like is Cross bone clipper...that ship has an awful design...is a worse verion of renegade runner, even Cross bone Clipper has rudder and renegade runner not. Ah, Redbeard Runner has only 3 cannons, even Black Seas barracuda and Skull eye's schooner had 4. But i think RBR may be more powerful than BSB, because RBR cannons are mobile.

Imperial Armada sets are really poor...only a small set and a one cannon ship. Then the pirate theme became worse and finally was canceled until 2009.

I didn't know TLC released a small set with a redcoat officer...is a simple but nice set.

Nice review as always mate

Thanks Captain Roger

personaly though I liked the small spanish sets, sure they only had two little sets but both are very nice and I love the ship as its looks very good and different from what came before, I liked the innovation.

Overall I didn't like the pirate sets as I felt they offered very little to the theme overall. but I did love the figures as they add alot to the theme.

thanks again for reading it though mate

soon to come 2009 and 2010 sets :pir-cry_happy:

With all new PotC reviews already blogged, I think now we can blog this part too. Once again - good job! :thumbup:

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Expect it there soon!