Sign in to follow this  
oo7

My MOC Ship

thindexedgif.gif HMS Joe Vig 19b, HMS Prometheus 26b

The HMS Joe Vig. And my 100th post.

dsc02437e.jpg

I think I did pretty well considering this is my first pirate MOC and I don't have any pirate sets (as I was a bit young when most of them came out :'-( ). I built the hull out of the bottom half of the fuselage from the 7893 Passenger Plane and I used a spoked wooden wheel for the ship streering wheel thingy (what are those things called?). I plan to add a second mast but at this time I don't have the pieces.

dsc02441e.jpg

Stern view

dsc02447e.jpg

Bow view

Ran out of pieces here.

Hatch to below deck here.

Captain's Quarters here.

Any Questions? Comments? Criticisms? Compliments? Complaints? Everything is appreciated. ;-)

I used an spoked wooden wheel for the ship streering whell thingy (what are those thinks called?).

It is called steering wheel, ship's wheel, or simply 'the wheel'.

The moc is really neat. Considering you have no or limited pirate parts, I think it turned out rather well. Awesome hull, I guess I'll have to go get the passinger plane set now!

This turned out really well for the pieces you had, and overall it looks good. I like the creativity you were able to use while improvising for parts. Did it take you very long?

No, I don't think it took me very long. The main chunk of it I built in one afternoon, but I revised it slightly over a couple of days and didn't get to post this for a week or so after that.

Thanks for the feedback guys. *y*

I built the hull out of the bottom half of the fuselage from the 7893 Passenger Plane and I used a spoked

What an ingenius use for what I thought was a very limited and oversized Mega Blok of a LEGO piece! I'm very impressed!

First question I have is... Are you going to make sails for the ship?

First question I have is... Are you going to make sails for the ship?

I was actually experimenting with sails when I built this and I made a couple out of paper but it didn't look good so I threw it out and now I don't have enough confidence to try and make any more. I have no official LEGO sails either but I think it still looks good.

What's your second question?

Its probably better if you make your own sails because then you can have greater control over their appearance and make your ship look more unique. I don't find the official LEGO sails interesting enough to put on many different ships.

The second question is: Are you going to add Pirate mini-figures? I assume that you haven't included any because you don't have any yet. Is this correct?

The second question is: Are you going to add Pirate mini-figures? I assume that you haven't included any because you don't have any yet. Is this correct?

Yep, I'm lacking true pirate figs thus my ship remains figless to this day. I do have one piratey guy with this head but I don't have a good headpeice so he's sitting alone elsewhere. Although I could have a small crew of skeletons and a monkey sort of like Ghoulrealm.

Do you have any of the Samauri or Ninja sets? They would make for a cool crew as well. I think they were around the same time period.

Sean- No, but I wouldn't want any for this ship anyway.

Phes- I hope so, I do have a Bricklink acount and I've checked out Ebay before but there was nothing impressive enough to be worth the bother. But if I do get some "pirate" figs they would be impearal guards or conquistadors, as I like those better than actual pirate figs.

Conquistadors (Imperial Armada) mini-figures aren't usually cheap. If they were I'd have more.

Once you decide what kind of mini-figures you want for your ship don't forget to acquire a flag too. Unless you're happy with the flags you've got, in which case completely ignore what I just wrote.

Conquistadors (Imperial Armada) mini-figures aren't usually cheap. If they were I'd have more.

Imperial Guards it is then.

Once you decide what kind of mini-figures you want for your ship don't forget to acquire a flag too. Unless you're happy with the flags you've got, in which case completely ignore what I just wrote.

The flag and figure head right now is just a joke, if get cool figs for this ship I shall change this.

Thanks again for all your imput everyone ;-)

Very, very nice! I see castle potential in this ship! It looks like it sould easily be transfered between the two themes (something I like in Pirates/Castle). The use of a useless piece is also impressive. The only part I didn't really like was Joe...

God Bless,

Nathan

Imperial Guards it is then.

They're not usually cheap either unless you happen to buy them off eBay in the vincinty of Belgium or France.

indeed, we are blessed with cheap pirate figs. This theme was highly popular in our regions, hence the massive offer on the second hand market and the cheap prices. Still everything else beside this (including non lego things) are really expensive, so I guess it's not that much of a bargain *pirate*

You could stock up on Imperial Guard mini-figures then sell them to the parts of the world where the make a good profit. Like Australia for example.

The ship is fabulous considering your resources. Joe Vig is a fine choice as a figurehead, and I think it fits the situation, like he did something inconsiderate, being oblivious to his surroundings, and wound up on the bow of a ship! The yard looks a bit short (it may be because of the distorted view...).

Nice work overall, can't wait for the sail!

I used an spoked wooden wheel for the ship streering whell thingy (what are those thinks called?).

It is called steering wheel, ship's wheel, or simply 'the wheel'.

The moc is really neat. Considering you have no or limited pirate parts, I think it turned out rather well. Awesome hull, I guess I'll have to go get the passinger plane set now!

the steering wheel on a ship is called the helm, was that the word you were searching for mr oo7?

Joe Vig is a fine choice as a figurehead, and I think it fits the situation, like he did something inconsiderate, being oblivious to his surroundings, and wound up on the bow of a ship!

I'd tend to disagree here because I think that mini-figure looks a bit too modern.

Joe Vig is a fine choice as a figurehead, and I think it fits the situation, like he did something inconsiderate, being oblivious to his surroundings, and wound up on the bow of a ship!

I'd tend to disagree here because I think that mini-figure looks a bit too modern.

True, but I consider him a timeless mini-fig and the concept is amusing enough that I can over look that historical inaccuracy. ;-) A bandana would help him blend in more however, if oo7 has one.

Yes, a bandana would be the most cost effective solution to "piratize" the figurehead. I think my problem with it looking too modern is because its timeless, or more so I associate those particular colours with late 20th century fashion. I.e. the blue legs represents jeans and the red torso represents a modern day jumper/sweater/jersey...

The Joe Vig figurehead is solely intended for humorous purposes, and yes, his apparel does not corresponding historically with the ship. I have bought the Durmstrang ship (for 60%, I might add) and done some major refinement including the removal of my figurehead, poor Joe.

Cap't Roger and Mr. Syedow, you

I have bought the Durmstrang ship (for 60%, I might add) and done some major refinement including the removal of my figurehead, poor Joe.

Was that major refinement to the DungStain ship or refinement to your MOC? You could possibly "refine" the DungStain ship into a pirate ship!