markstones

[MOC] Tie Advanced X1 minifig scale

At first sight it looked very much like TLG version, but then I started noticing the details. It's very good, my only issues would be the trans-yellow inside the cockpit and all those studs looking so thin on the back side. Perhaps SNOTing would create a smooth curve while giving some bulk to the ship? I like the subtle greebbling and the simple controls of the cockpit.

Very nice work there 'markstones', I too though it was just the Lego model from a few years back....but the greys offset the black real well and the detailing is much better too ! :thumbup:

Though as in all these X-1 creations by anyone, I have not seen the front of the cockpit stay on and just the hatch open at the top like it would on a (real) X-1 ! :wink:

Anyway, great work and may the Sith brick be with you ! :grin:

First off, fantastic photography. Your shots are incredibly clean, and bright.

I like what you've done here :thumbup: That's a great TIE Advanced, the cockpit is the highlight for me. You might want to try and rid of the big gaps in the wing transitions, but other than that great work :classic:

Nice job. Shaping is very nice; it's a lot like TLG's style of building - but better. :classic:

Though as in all these X-1 creations by anyone, I have not seen the front of the cockpit stay on and just the hatch open at the top like it would on a (real) X-1 ! :wink:

It's actually implied that in-universe, the main ingress hatch of a TIE is on the rear of the craft; the opening top hatch was a toy invention. Another point on which "official" sources like the Essential Guide and the Incredible Cross-Sections are wrong. :wink:

Regarding the MOC, all I can say is that the editing is very nice. :thumbup: There are a couple of points I'd like to address regarding the MOC itself, but I'm not sure what markstones' intention was in building this.

Looks pretty good. I'm not much familiar with TLG's version but this one captures the basic overall shape and detailing of the reference material rather well IMO. Nice work and thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

It's actually implied that in-universe, the main ingress hatch of a TIE is on the rear of the craft; the opening top hatch was a toy invention. Another point on which "official" sources like the Essential Guide and the Incredible Cross-Sections are wrong. :wink:

I'm not sure that really make sense for the pilot to have to crawl and squeeze into the tiny gap, instead of been lowered through the sizable hatch in the top. I'm not saying your wrong but it just doesn't make much sense to me.

On to the MOC Well Done markstones at the start I also thought it was the Lego version. The back, and front are really well done, as is the interior, however the wings look a little off, its that gap between the sloped wings, and the straight wing, I don't know how you would address it in Lego, but that it as far as criticism goes.

Edited by Mr Man

I'm not sure that really make sense for the pilot to have to crawl and squeeze into the tiny gap, instead of been lowered through the sizable hatch in the top. I'm not saying your wrong but it just doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm guessing, by the size of the ship, Vader didn't have to crawl. It likely had to do with Vader being an official figure, and he shouldn't have to board his ship like the tie pilots. Rather, he would walk aboard the way he would on a shuttle.

I'm not sure that really make sense for the pilot to have to crawl and squeeze into the tiny gap, instead of been lowered through the sizable hatch in the top.

Somebody said the top hatch was the emergency hatch, but I can't provide a source. If you mean little hole in the back, that's just the rear viewport, not the entire hatch...

I'm guessing, by the size of the ship, Vader didn't have to crawl. It likely had to do with Vader being an official figure, and he shouldn't have to board his ship like the tie pilots. Rather, he would walk aboard the way he would on a shuttle.

Looking at the design of the x1, having the main hatch really would make the most sense, but I don't know...

Comparing his MOC with the studio miniature, it turns out that proportions are fairly well done, which is always a plus for me. What markstones could work on would be getting rid of those unsightly gaps in the wings (Gareth's solution is excellent[/url] and using a different piece rather than that TIE cockpit - it's incredibly <insert that tiresome argument> and looks really out of place, and ditching it would allow for some liberty in cockpit design. Something using this would be interesting.