Lasse D

Sets with Coffee Machines

There is a running joke in LEGO because of some (unnamed) employee's coffee addiction. This is supposedly one of the reasons why you often see coffee machines in LEGO sets.

We all know LEGO is the largest producer of tires, but I bet the coffee machine count is right up there as well.

I will use this thread to create an extensive list of LEGO coffee machines. Please discuss and add sets in your comments.

(I don't visit this forum as often as I would like to, but will try to update this list whenever I am here.)

City

3182: Airport (2010)

4644: Marina (2011)

6388: Holiday Home with Caravan (1987)

6389: Fire Control Center (1990)

6398: Central Precinct HQ (1993)

6598: Metro PD Station (1996)

7208: Fire Station (2010)

7288: Police Command Truck (2011)

7498: Police Station (2011)

7642: garage (2009)

7744: Police Headquarters (2008)

7945: Fire Station (2007)

8404: Public Transport Station (2010)

Train

2150: Train Station (1996)

4554: Metro Station (1991)

10027: Train Engine Shed (2003)

Space

5985: Space Police Central (Space Police 3, 2010)

Creator

6753: Highway Transport (2009)

Power Miners

8963: Rock Wrecker (2009)

Model Team

5571: Black Cat (1996)

Modular Houses

10218 Pet Shop (2011)

Homemaker

269: Kitchen (1979)

Paradisa

6416: Poolside Paradise (1992)

Scala

3123: Emma's Chill-Out Kitchen (2001)

Edited by Lasse D

I found your post this morning just as I was taking my first sip of coffee. So to that I say "Cheers".

If what you are saying is true, then that is very funny about one of the employee's coffee addiction.

The new 7498 Police Station has a coffee machine in it, as does the new 7288 Police Command Truck.

The 3812 Airport has one.

As does the 7208 Fire Station and the 7945 Fire Station.

The new 4644 Marina looks to have one too.

Thats just from going through some of the recent City sets.

Thanks jonwil. I have updated the list.

I can confirm that the Marina has a coffee machine.

We already have 7 sets with coffee machines in just the last couple of years!

Now you all forgot the 7642 garage, there is a coffee machine....a big one in the office ! :grin:

I wonder if minifigs drink decaf ? :laugh:

Keep on drinking coffee (I'll keep drinking wine, port and scotch :grin: )

I'm not adding anything new here, but I'd like to say that the most incongruous coffee machine to me is the one in the Rock Wrecker. I got this set on a crazy discount, and knew nothing about it, and as I was building it, there was this on-board coffee machine. It was confusing and amusing. And I was all, like, "Whaa?" And I enjoyed the remainder of the day.

That is all. Carry on!

Well, as this is a very important matter, I'll move it to the LEGO General Discussion.

I'll have a cup right now please :grin:

There's one in 6389 Fire Control Center (1990) as well.

Great. Thanks for the inputs guys. List updated with links.

Now. No earlier than 1979?

Bricklink cites the Coffee Cup as first appearing in 1979 so I doubt there is anything earlier.

Also worth cataloging would be all sets to feature soda/soft drink machines and all sets to feature water coolers.

For the water coolers, both of the last 2 police stations had one IIRC.

The most recent airport had a soda machine IIRC.

Edited by jonwil

That one is obvicous, but I just can't spot the coffee machines in/on the other sets. I do see some (over used) Lego (coffee) mugs, but where are the machines? It seem they appair in quite large sets though.

Not sure if this counts, but -- in the original Idea Book from the 80's, Bill and Mary (the characters in the book) go to a kitchem appliance store, which features a coffee maker. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a scanner, so I can't post a picture of it.

I always drink coffee when looking at radar... I mean, building with LEGO. :grin:

mr_radar.jpg

How have I missed seeing a coffe machine!? Are they just brick built or is it a special piece(s)?

Edited by Rook

Bricklink cites the Coffee Cup as first appearing in 1979 so I doubt there is anything earlier.

Also worth cataloging would be all sets to feature soda/soft drink machines and all sets to feature water coolers.

For the water coolers, both of the last 2 police stations had one IIRC.

The most recent airport had a soda machine IIRC.

Soda machines and so on must be for another thread. I think we already have those sets that you mention.

Not sure if this counts, but -- in the original Idea Book from the 80's, Bill and Mary (the characters in the book) go to a kitchem appliance store, which features a coffee maker. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a scanner, so I can't post a picture of it.

I can make an entry for Idea books if you can find it. I seem to recall a coffee machine in a hospital of another idea book, but I'm not sure.

> Rook.

See links in OP for examples.

Edited by Lasse D

I suppose it makes sense that Lego has so many sets with coffee machines.. I haven't seen one of my minifigs take a nap since I assembled them :laugh:

How have I missed seeing a coffe machine!? Are they just brick built or is it a special piece(s)?

They're brick-built. Generally, it's as simple as 1x1 brick and 1x1 plate on top of each other, with a 1x2 tile on top and a 1x2 plate on the bottom.

When I saw the coffee machine in Power Miners, I thought it was just another thing meant to make the Power Miners look like average joes (just like the bananas in various sets, the sausage in the Claw Catcher, and the soda machine in Lavatraz). Didn't realize it was a running joke of its own. Kind of funny to learn that, though. :laugh:

Are the Power Miners and Space Police examples the only examples of Coffee Machines in sets with minifigs that arent town/train?