vynsane

The work of JonHall18 in LXF form

I've been a fan of JonHall18's "Sky-fi" work for a while now, but only recently noticed he actually took the time to meticulously photograph every step of the build on the vast majority of his MOCs! The picture instruction sets are rather large once uncompressed, and I have limited space on my laptop, so I decided it would be worth my while to translate them to LDD so I could retain the steps necessary to build them while removing the pictures from my computer. I then realized that others might want to see these designs and contacted JonHall18, who was gracious enough to grant me permission to share the fruits of his and my (but mostly his) labor with all of you. To that end, I've already completed LDD renditions of three of his builds. There are certain modifications made due to LDD not allowing certain connections/alignments, but for the most part they are true to the original. Of course, custom decals are not included and some of the printed pieces have been modified - again, due to constraints of the program.

T-11 Eclipse

3695418041_fc647ff0a5_z.jpg

Eclipse Fighter 02 by JonHall18, on Flickr

Eclipse_screenshot.jpg

Arcadian Gunship

4255156029_e1804d9c13_z.jpg

Arcadian Gunship 01 by JonHall18, on Flickr

Arcadian_Gunship_screenshot.jpg

P-72A Skyhammer

5168051429_c0ded926eb_z.jpg

Skyhammer 01 by JonHall18, on Flickr

Skyhammer_screenshot.jpg

Wow!

Excellent idea and excellent work. :thumbup:

Thanks, though he did most of the work - my contribution is mainly in coming up with alternate solutions to connections he used that LDD doesn't allow... and, of course, following the directions ;)

Good that you got permission too.

Yes, I would never have submitted them like this without his sign-off, but given that he took the time to create the photo instructions, I figured he'd be cool with me sharing the digital versions. As I said, he was very gracious about it - in his own words:

I obviously would never have posted my photo-instructions if I didn't want people to use/adapt my mocs. I'm very happy that my models have inspired you and that these LDD models you intend to create can help them reach more people in the AFOL community and hopefully inspire them too!

I'm actually about a third of the way through transcribing his instructions for the H-44 "Blue Lightning" (Flickr set) - this thing is a beast, with a belly full of bombs. So cool!

H-44 Blue Lightning

4943923308_d94958cc34_z.jpg

Blue Lightning 01 by JonHall18, on Flickr

H-44_Blue_Lightning_screenshot.jpg

Issues with this file:

• There is a hollow section in the wing, above the landing gear, where the SNOT technique used just couldn't be replicated in an LDD-accepted way.
  • The panels on either side of the forward fuselage should be angled in towards the 2x2 dish stack, but LDD didn't want to do it. There are also a couple of missing pieces inside that assembly (two headlight bricks with 1x1 tiles attached to the forward-stud) that facilitated keeping the angle on those panels aligned.
  • I can't get the pilot in the forward station. LDD just won't do it.
  • Assembly of each engine is missing a 3x3 dish w/hole due to use of a technic rod instead of a thinner rod (again, LDD wouldn't allow the connection)
  • There is a gap between the top half and bottom half of the fuselage where the white and blue stripes arch over the top and down the sides - LDD didn't think 3 studs could fit, so I replaced the side-stripes with 1x2 tiles.

Edited by vynsane

Wow, I have loved the Ski-fi models that he has done and I thank you for bringing them to LDD form! I hope to see more!

~Lalror

Thanks, Lalror - there's definitely more coming, including this one right now!

P-79 Steel Wind

4595204014_8fa7b1f0b5_z.jpg

Steel Wind 01 by JonHall18, on Flickr

P-79_Steel_Wind_screenshot.jpg

Issues with this file (other than stickers and printed items):

• Forward landing gear connection won't work in LDD
  • Some fudging/reconstruction of the rear section to accommodate the angle of the wings and the rear landing gear - the hinges the gear attach to have been moved forward one plate, and gaps filled with other plates. The two 1x4's used to hold the wings at the correct angle had to be removed, as LDD wouldn't allow them to occupy that space
  • The 'Ammo belt' for each wing gun is not attached. It won't allow the connection to the 1x1 w/clip and the robot claw that is supposed to hold the other end won't connect to the gun where it does in the picture instructions.
  • I'm not sure I have the purple color correct - the difference between the 'official' color names and those at Bricklink/AFOL vernacular are infuriating sometimes

These are awesome. Thanks for posting them. Will they find their way into the MOC index?

Absolutely amazing, though you had pictures to go off, this shows such a vast amount of talent in the Lego world and I look forward to seeing a lot more. It gives me more incentive to gather more pieces so I can create fine detailed sets like these.

Edited by Trainee

Amazing work! The ship designs are of themselves fantastic, detailed, and inspiring. The work you have done to provide us all with accurate recreations (and introduce us to the wonderful works in the first place) is just brilliant and I am very tempted to build some of these just to play with.

I'm probably gonna have some fun in LDD with these eventually too :laugh:

Thank you, seriously!

I have two more nearly complete (A-20 Red Zephyr and V-22 Phoenix), and I think that's all for his Sky-Fi MOCS that have instruction photosets.

A-20 Red Zephyr

5034777928_89eecc4384_z.jpg

Red Zephyr composite by JonHall18, on Flickr

A-20_Red_Zephyr_screenshot.jpg

• The entire fuselage is one plate taller than the original version, to accommodate the click-hinge bubble canopy available in LDD (original used a finger-hinge bubble canopy)
  • Piston housings (minifig binocs) are connected (presumably) 'illegally' to a piece that doesn't exist in LDD anyway - completely left out.
  • 2x2 dish won't connect to the front of the 'greebles' inside the bubble canopy, blocked by the 'mudguard' arch
  • 1x1 w/vertical clip won't connect to the bar w/claw attached to the 'rocketboard'

V-22 Phoenix

4307605921_ac3144ec82_z.jpg

V-22 Phoenix 01 by JonHall18, on Flickr

V-22_Phoenix_screenshot.jpg

• Engine/Tail assembly is different due to incompatible connections
  • 'Straps' on the cockpit aren't flexible, so laid on the 'ground'. The bubble canopy is 'floating' in front of the build.

I'm waiting for JonHall18 authorization... but I think i can post an image of my work, in the meanwhile.

My goal is to adapt the Skyhammer to a buyable version. I had to modify something, but I'm pretty proud of the result.

(It's about 100€ on LDD's checkprice)

skyhammer_buyable.jpg

After this, i'm having fun with a fully reworked version, just for fun... but the original idea is obviously recognizable.

skyhammer_pocket.jpg

Thanks to JonHall18 and vynsane for their fantastic work :cry_happy:

Excellent work! I was planning on doing the same thing, but you beat me to it. I love the style of his work, and am glad to see it in LDD format! Great job :)

I start with JonHall18's SkyHammer, adapted to be buyable, and based on work of vynsane.

"Buyable" because you can buy it on LDD (100 euro) :sweet:

SkyHammerBuyable.jpg

LDD file: SkyHammerBuyable.zip (contains SkyHammerBuyable.lxf)

And then my creation, inspired on JonHall18 creation(s).

Fully buyable on LDD (60 euro).

MaloMaglioI.jpg

LDD file: MaloMaglio.zip (contains MaloMaglio.lxf)

If anyone of you will edit them, I will be really curious to learn something... so pls post your fixes!

Edited by Maloghigno

Nice work with the DbM adaptation. Love how you substituted a garbage can in the front area. (cannon? air intake?) Total 'NPU' there. :thumbup:

Great stuff, Maloghigno - great to see someone utilizing the work I'm doing (and Jon Hall did) and playing with the concepts!

I've had these finished for a while, but never got around to posting them. I'd also like to stress again that this couldn't be at all possible without Jon Hall's diligent pictorial instructions - check them out, as the LDD files usually end up having some significant changes made due to LDD connection limitations:

5460605388_db32c4faa4_z.jpg

Gryphon 01 by JonHall18, on Flickr

D-61_Gryphon_by_JonHall18.jpg

5335144066_614d6ca1f6_z.jpg

Iron Condor 01 by JonHall18, on Flickr

B-414_Iron_Condor_by_JonHall18.jpg

V30 Warhawk

Redesigned landing gears

Redesigned middle wing section (due limitations of LDD)

Redesigned setting of propellers (lack of instructions)

S-113 Viper

Redesigned rear landing gears

All the credit goes to JonHall18, thanks for sharing the instructions!

Edited by Calabar
Oversized images converted in text link. Maximum size alllowed is 800x600 in exceptional situations.

Hey @vynsane! I'm sorry about bumping a six year old topic, but I found your thread and was excited to see your work on this; but your instruction links from 2Shared.com are stated as "not valid" and are no longer there. :sad:

Do you have another file hosting site where you have posted these instructions? Thanks!

@Digger of Bricks

It is not very welcomed to bump such a old topic. Please don't do that.

It is always better to try to find author and contact him via PM of Flickr, as you can see that he is not active here for the last two years.