Darth Yogi

12 gun Pirate Schooner

thindexedgif.gif 105D

The completed MOC is done.

First Mods would you please change the title to-14 gun Pirate Schooner, sub title Completed MOC I'm not sure if swivel guns count on the gun count, so if the don't only write 12 :pir-blush:

Now on to my creation. Its finally finished after four and a half months work.

Thanks Admiral Croissant for his help through this thread, along with all the other helpful comments. Also Aalak for the technique for tilted masts, and Perfectionist for the Grate technique.

Now my schooner has hand made rigging and sails, and a hand painted flag.

So now I present my Schooner. Please enjoy :pir-grin:

First is the crew of 13 pirates

5991148247_4dbb9ec026_z.jpg

Next is the ship without its crew.

5991149075_b5d7e5f5e2_z.jpg

5991705298_d2d8f2840e_z.jpg

Now with the crew

5991149463_26fba1e20e_z.jpg

5991150829_986e7d927a_z.jpg

Top view.

5991703216_8edc047a75_z.jpg

My custom swivel gun.

5991144811_796e8a22d0_z.jpg

The Figure Head.

5991702884_7d8b645869_z.jpg

The Stern.

5991709156_89e20a6834_z.jpg

The interior.

5991147661_b173ab536d_z.jpg

Now with a teaser of my new upcoming ship.

5991151587_4fd7bfe8e2_z.jpg

For many more pics and details check out my Flickr

Thanks for looking and hope you enjoyed. And I'd love any C&C.

well, first of all, I'm glad it's not LDD!!!

(I don't know how others feel about it. But lately I've become a little annoyed by the ever growing number of LDD mocs. Couldn't there be a sprecial section for them?)

that said, I have to say that I really like your unique technique, it might come in usefull when creating something that doesn't fit the prefab hulls ...

however, I do think that maybe your ship looks a little to thin for a proper brig, so far it seems more like a yacht or a cutter to me

Edited by kabel

Looks quite good already. The brown colour looks nice, although some different colours for decorations would be nice as well in the future.

The techniques you're using are also good, and especially the bird's eye view looks excellent.

I have two suggestions:

The gunport line and the line of the slopes on the bottom aren't curved at all. Perhaps a small curve would look nice.

And I think your figurehead (sceg?) part in the front is too long.

I would reduce it by 4 or 5 bricks, unless you're making a 17th century ship. Then it can be a little longer.

And I think you can remove the 2 plates on the sides there.

On the stern the curves are good already IMO and I like how you made/attached the rudder.

Keep it up and good luck!

First off Kable, not the place for such commentary. Further more, don’t be so rude. Firstly Eurobricks has been trying to encourage LDD as of late, so all of us contributing in that capacity are well within the expectations of our host. Further more, it’s incredibly unfair to expect that everyone who wants to participate here must build with real bricks when the expense must be taken in to consideration. Which isn’t to mention that no one who’s contributed in LDD seems to do so exclusively, even my own designs are just a test bed for ships I hope to build in the future (hope fully near future). One final point on the subject, if you succeed in chasing off all those who work and contribute in LDD you may chase off a lot of helpful, knowledgeable members who can only enrich the community. Now I may have laid into you a little hard here, but honestly this isn’t just for your benefit. I’ve seen this sentiment expressed several time over the past few weeks, and felt something must be said.

Yogi, my apologies for using your thread as a soap box, I’ll appreciate your understanding if you can offer it. Now on to your brig. I tend to agree with the good Admiral that your prow is way to huge. You’re on a good track here, but I think a lot of the techniques your using are better for a larger vessel in general. The upper deck seems a bit to narrow, but that might be an illusion created by the height of your gun wall and the tumble home making it, only seem to narrow. Still if you have the bricks it wouldn’t hurt to make her a stud or two wider to each side. While you’re at it some curvature could improve her looks a bit too. on the same lines as what Croissant said, the era from which your vessel comes is important to a lot of the design decisions you’re faced with. In the 18th century or earlier, the hull would have been more curved and wider at the water line. If she were a later craft say 19th or early 20th century, she’d likely seem flatter and be generally more narrow. I like that you’re dong a water line model and using the bricks in different orientations (like the roof tiles along the bottom) is clever. If re-building the hull it out of the question, consider changing her rig to some thing more conducive to her dimensions, like a cutter or schooner. Keep building, keep innovating!

Hi, Thanks for all the comments. Personally I think LDD is great and allows members who can't afford large amounts of bricks, to make fantastic models, and is also a great way to plan a build so you know what bricks you need.

Now on to the ship. I will probably make it one stud wider, and have already started refining the bow. After looking at some more pictures of ships, I came across this frigate which actually looks more like my ship than a brig, and kinda what I wanted all along(I don't know to much about ships :pir-tongue:). So I will try to make it to this scale, but still the same size as my ship now.

Keep the comments comming :pir-classic:

What you have pictured there appears to be Indy, a humongous ship. There is not credit to that but from studying a lot of models, it’s my best guess. HMS Indefatigable was originally a 64 gun ship of the line, which later had the upper gun deck torn off and was reclassed a 38. I don’t think that would make a very good model to work from on your tiny vessel. Instead for historical reference I suggest looking up Sir Thomas Cochran’s HMS speedy, or her literary counter part HMS Sophie. On thing of note, however is how little tumble home even a large vessel like that 40 gunner can have.

HMS Indefatigable Wiki

HMS Speedy

db_Copy_3_of_HMSSpeedy1.jpg

Sorry for the terrible pic, all I could find on short notice, I can e-mail better ones if your interested, just no time to post and link what I have saved for my own reference.

Edited by kurigan

Well, the SNOT technique you are using for the sides looks quite promising, but I'm not sure if it's totally even at the bottom. It really should be, because otherwise you'll end up having major structural problems.

The hull shape seems rather good so far, but I have to agree with kabel and Admiral Croissant that it's both too small for a proper brig and the pro is far too long. Also some curves and mor spacing between the gunports would be nice.

But I really like how you've added your very own touch to it! :pir-sweet:

well, first of all, I'm glad it's not LDD!!!

(I don't know how others feel about it. But lately I've become a little annoyed by the ever growing number of LDD mocs. Couldn't there be a sprecial section for them?)

I 100% agree! :pir-devil:

Here are some new pics.

So enjoy.

5598855761_3f588a2be1_z.jpg

5599459704_0a6fcee37f_z.jpg

5598854641_139cca9e61_z.jpg

5598859193_f548b6daca_z.jpg

5599441284_02bbee6e99.jpg

5598914655_c3dba037f3.jpg

Please C&C.

Edited by darth yogi

Looks quite good. But you could try to spread the gunports more over the entire side.

Right now almost all of the gunports are centered in the middle, and in the front and back there are no gunports.

Perhaps it would also look nice if you would place the middle gunports lower than the others. Make the side more curved.

My other two suggestions are very small and easy to do.

suggestions.png

So shorten the rudder with 2 studs and remove those 3 bricks at the bow with a circle around it.

The cutwater is always very thin and doesn't run smoothly into the bow (as you can see here).

Thanks Admiral Croissant for the comment. Ive already done the 2 smaller parts and am working on spreading out the gun ports.

Keep the comments coming :pir-grin:

Here is a new update for my ship. Based on the size, and my lack of bricks it does not fit the class of a brig. So have changed a couple things to make it a schooner. so if a mod could please change the title to "WIP Schooner", subtitle; "HMS Valentine?"? So here is what my progress so far. It has masts, and some added detail. Also The second picture has my idea for how the sails will look, blue stands for the rigging. (it wont be blue :pir_laugh2: )

Thanks for looking and enjoy.

5731539439_71d9229999.jpg

5732089180_7c0cc87216.jpg

Thanks for looking, please leave C&C so I can improve it.

Edited by Darth Yogi

Looks good, although there are a few small things that I would change:

schooner2.png

If you have the bricks, I would change the few black bricks into brown ones (red) so it looks less 'chaotic'

I would also remove the inner jib yard (green) as I've never seen that on a schooner of this era.

And finally you could add an extra sail on the main mast, but I leave that up to your own taste.

Good luck.

By the way, you should be able to change the title yourself. Click on edit the first post, then on "use full editor" and then you can change it.

I hope it works, otherwise I or another staff member can do it for you.

Here are some new pics.

5598914655_c3dba037f3.jpg

That's a very nice hull, I wonder if it is suited for a bigger ship, nicely done!

Wow, this is looking pretty good! Maybe I will have to look at some tutorials again, I have been interested in shipbuilding but everything that I have made has turned out horrible.

I like it, that you'll want to make her a Schooner! :pir-wub: There are way to many "big" ones out here in the forum.

What you could try to do, other than adding the additional sail is to put the masts in an angle. That's a thing some schooner have.

5733968431_0bca548ddd.jpg

Some more inspiration can by found in this database (something I discovered recently)

Keep us updated!

Thanks for the comment guys, glad you liked it.

Looks good, although there are a few small things that I would change:

-Image snip-

If you have the bricks, I would change the few black bricks into brown ones (red) so it looks less 'chaotic'

I would also remove the inner jib yard (green) as I've never seen that on a schooner of this era.

And finally you could add an extra sail on the main mast, but I leave that up to your own taste.

Good luck.

By the way, you should be able to change the title yourself. Click on edit the first post, then on "use full editor" and then you can change it.

I hope it works, otherwise I or another staff member can do it for you.

I tried and I can't change the title, I think you can because you are a mod. Oh I didn't notice :pir-blush: Thank you very much. Now about the ship. I can take away the black from the bow, but in the other two areas, I don't have the piece in brown(I don't even think LEGO has made it?) The jib ... removed. And I have decide to add the extra sail, and will have a picture once I make these edits.

I like it, that you'll want to make her a Schooner! :pir-wub: There are way to many "big" ones out here in the forum.

What you could try to do, other than adding the additional sail is to put the masts in an angle. That's a thing some schooner have.

-Image snip-

Some more inspiration can by found in this database (something I discovered recently)

Keep us updated!

Thanks. I think it would look nice to have the tilted masts. Do you mind if I use a the same technique as you, and of coarse I will give you credit.

Thanks, Darth Yogi.

Edited by Darth Yogi

Glad to see another schooner on the forums! Especially since the schooner was the weapon of choice for pira.... I mean privateers, especially in the Caribbean. "Tilt" on a mast is called rake, therefore giving the schooner "raked masts". A common feature on all schooners. I like Aalaks method for doing this. I used a slightly different method on my schooner Pickle, mounting both masts on a 2x2 hinge and connecting them at the top by a rigid 3mm hose. When connected I could adjust the angle as I saw fit even without the rat lines and the masts stay in place. This was definitely the most important piece to that puzzle and hopefully it will help you too!

I really like the hull shape too, though it looks a bit narrow at the bow. Still great progress, I look forward to seeing more :thumbup:

:jollyroger: Dread Pirate Wesley

Here is a picture newly updated ship. Tilting of the masts technique is by Aalak.

So here are the new pictures.

5743685805_a6e8c061e4_z.jpg

5743685655_a4cbea2767_z.jpg

Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoyed. Please C&C.

I have made a new update. It has complete rigging, and a few new details.

5822709419_1314c245ee_z.jpg

I have attached some of the rigging with clips so that I can take the top off to see the interior.

5822718563_677dec0b63_z.jpg

It also has a new back.

5822719133_41910aa537_z.jpg

And here is the detail for the steering wheel

5822706165_8a4933234c_z.jpg

Thanks for looking, please C&C.

I like your idea with the clips and I've actually already planned to use this on my ship. This is a nice little ship!! :thumbup:

I really like your Golden Stern, Please keep it this way :pir-sweet:

I also like how you did the curves without those ship-base-plates.

keep on MOCing!

Good luck, would like to see more ships of you.

Greetz Bjornu

I like your idea with the clips and I've actually already planned to use this on my ship. This is a nice little ship!! :thumbup:

Thank you very much.

I really like your Golden Stern, Please keep it this way :pir-sweet:

I also like how you did the curves without those ship-base-plates.

keep on MOCing!

Good luck, would like to see more ships of you.

Thank you very much. I think the stern will stay the same. Also I am actually about a month into a new ship right now, and pictures are coming very soon.

Well, I :pir-wub: the rigging and the interior, but I don't like the hull technique as much, it looks a little boxy to me. Still a good ship, and the teaser of the next one looks even better :thumbup: .