Sign in to follow this  
Aalak

The Caribbean Queen

I started her as an sideprojekt to the Ares. Something the Ares could chase after... The first Idea was a pirate vessel, but then I decided to make her a Supply Ship... a bit bellied, broader. Something build to hold a lot of cargo,rather than speed.

5546309719_8ecd4d5c36.jpg

5546890054_29e3554cf0.jpg

5546307281_f4bc1f58af.jpg

5546939186_70dbed4e68.jpg

She'll be a two mast Top-Sail-Schooner... The Sails gonna look something like that: 45319-200E-topsail%20schooner.jpg

She'll only carry 4 to 6 swiffel guns for protection, an easy prey...

The white Ornament-stripe is originally from Blackmoor, and CGH Hingestechnic was used as well. The Ideas of the Snot-platforms are taken from the Achille by Perfectionist.

To do:

- exchange tan axle-connectors

- rigging and sails.

- Tiling the deck

- some more details for the deck

Thanks for any Feedback.

I like the colourscheme a lot and the mast and sail arrangements look good as well.

I do have some suggestions for improvements though:

Perhaps making the stern details white too, instead of yellow, will look better. But that could be some personal taste.

The highest yard of the spanker sail is too long IMO. I already showed a better example in your frigate thread. You could do the same here.

And finally, this ship has almost the same width everywhere. It will look much better if you make it more narrow towards the stern.

It will already look better if you remove the roofs of the side galleries, because now the deck suddenly gets very narrow which looks a bit weird.

On a ship like yours, I would either go for a small window like this:

MAMO-MV22.jpg

Or no window at all.

Good luck!

Hey there,

now first at all, I really like your ships, they are coming along quite fine.

However, for this one I would suggest that you use the small prefab hulls with maybe three midsections. This ship on the large prefabs looks a little too stubby for may taste

PS: I wish I was still living in Berlin as I once did ...

That is indeed a nice surpirise! A brig of which we do not get to see too many on this foum! She's looking quite good already, especially for a side project. :thumbup: Quite obviously some of the aesthetics are very similar to two notable ships on this forum. :pir-wub:

However I do think she is too stubby for a Brig, even as a "supply ship" she would be longer in realtion to her width. So adding one more midsection would help a lot here! Also I agree with Admiral Croissant that small windows would fit in much better here. Good luck on her!

That is indeed a nice surpirise! A brig of which we do not get to see too many on this foum! She's looking quite good already, especially for a side project. :thumbup: Quite obviously some of the aesthetics are very similar to two notable ships on this forum. :pir-wub:

However I do think she is too stubby for a Brig, even as a "supply ship" she would be longer in realtion to her width. So adding one more midsection would help a lot here! Also I agree with Admiral Croissant that small windows would fit in much better here. Good luck on her!

Thanks for all the feedback from all of you!

Imitation is still the greatest form of admiration. I really loved the ideas of Blackmoors Alceste, with the lovely railing using the white flowers... The Alceste was the reason for starting this as a sideproject, since we discussed the sailplan of the HMS Monarch and I voted for a gaff rigged ship.

I found another mid-section in my local legoshop when I collected my order, so she'll get one soon.

Sorry for the double post, but could this masts work? Suggestion needed...

I put them on 4531.gifand 4275.gif with a plate for the angle... is it to much? I definitly need the rigging to hold the masts in place... I figured that out allready :pir-sweet:

5567965416_f715565fce_z.jpg

5567380737_c00e4503e6_z.jpg

I welcome any idea how to make this stabil and workable :pir-laugh:

If you're making the rigging good I think this will be good.

Otherwise you could also try to make the masts going through the deck(s) to make it more stable.

And perhaps it's a good idea to make the hull perfect first before you start on the rigging and masts.

Done some work in the limited time I had during the last days... but she looks like a ship again...

She even got arms for the anchors ...don't now how that's called actually : :pir-cry_happy: ... but she'll get a working catspan.

5573940470_0e534c5781_z.jpg

5573351883_2953bc706e.jpg

The new stern - all white and black ... bye bye yellow

5573352363_f1a2781769.jpg

I welcome all feedback!

I like the new stern much better, the colours are more harmonic. May I ask where the rigging is supposed to be placed on the hull?

Also: noticed the Stern under the vessel :pir_laugh2:

Beautiful stern :thumbup: I believe the anchor arms are called catheads. Good that you've made them.

My only 2 suggestions are to make the deck narrower towards the stern and place the 'cleats'(?not sure how they're called) in front of, and behind the masts instead of on the sides.

Good luck.

I like the new stern much better, the colours are more harmonic. May I ask where the rigging is supposed to be placed on the hull?

Also: noticed the Stern under the vessel :pir_laugh2:

The rigging will be strings, as on the Ares, I already placed the rings on the outside of the railings. Starting a bit behind the masts...

Beautiful stern :thumbup: I believe the anchor arms are called catheads. Good that you've made them.

My only 2 suggestions are to make the deck narrower towards the stern and place the 'cleats'(?not sure how they're called) in front of, and behind the masts instead of on the sides.

Good luck.

The cleats didn't work work on the front since the roundbricks are in the way, but I think they could work the way they are now, too

I used this for imspiration

102_0684.jpg

now we only need 2L bars...

but thanks as allways good advice, I'll see what I can do about the deck towards the stern.

Edited by Aalak

Are you going to have a Billy Ocean minifig?

LOL ... Had to google it, since I didn't have him in mind by naming her Caribbean Queen... but since you ask, maybe, but right now I didn't own any brown minfigs. but an old billy with rasta locks on the helm would be a nice gag! thanks for the idea!!!

Edited by Aalak

LOL ... Had to google it, since I didn't have him in mind by naming her Caribbean Queen... but since you ask, maybe, but right now I didn't own any brown minfigs. but an old billy with rasta locks on the helm would be a nice gag! thanks for the idea!!!

I'll be disappointed if you don't.

The cleats didn't work work on the front since the roundbricks are in the way, but I think they could work the way they are now, too

Ah well, if it's been used on real ships, I don't have any problems with it.

Nice ship by the way, the Friends Goodwill. I didn't know that one.

Even she's a fantasy build I would like her to have sail plan that would actually be accurate and could work. So,

what do you think about my sail-plan (without the cross-rigged sail, it would be to confusing if it hat drawn it, too since I'm not the "Master of Paint" around here :pir-sweet:

5576037975_27dfdf6b3c.jpg

For anyone who want's to change someting, here is the original.

a blurry shot of the "test-rigging" of the first mast

5576033077_28bf40e4cd.jpg

a detailed shot from above, you might be able to see the "catheads"

5576033015_6b46d7cc24_z.jpg

I used this for reference of the ropes.

Compared to this picture:

amistad.jpg

I would do it more like this:

zeils.png

Perhaps you're rigging is correct too, but this is what I saw on most of these ships.

Thanks Admiral, hope that wasn't your last post!

Here is the result of an afternoon of rigging, and yard-replacing... I guess she's near the same state as HMS Ares now. I guess I should start making sails, sooner than later.

5577661134_425cd671d5_z.jpg

5577075817_af82dfb5bc_z.jpg

5577076013_dd9c8c2f45_z.jpg

5577661608_f67e91c7a9_z.jpg

5577661832_034cbfbcf9_z.jpg

5577662146_57b1fdfea1_z.jpg

5577662358_43e876a246_z.jpg

Has someone any suggestions wich Lego parts could I use to attach the sails to the ropes, so that I can detach them any time?

Feel free to comment :pir-cry_happy:

Thanks Admiral, hope that wasn't your last post!

Of course it wasn't :pir-classic:

Although I'm still an outlaw, I'll try to give good feedback:

First of all, your rigging looks extremely realistic now. Hats off to you.

My only point of critic, is that I would remove some lines forward. Here's an image for explanation:

schooner.png

As you can see, the red lines (which you have too) are correct. The blue ones however, are not.

The mast already gets pulled forward by the green lines. And as you can see the red lines keep quite close to the mast.

That's the only thing.I hope the masts are still stury if you change it.

I used these for attaching the sails to the ropes so that you can hoist and lower them.

But you could also attach them with tire like Perfectionist did (here) and perhaps make the rope detachable (like this for example)

Good luck!

Of course it wasn't :pir-classic:

Although I'm still an outlaw, I'll try to give good feedback:

First of all, your rigging looks extremely realistic now. Hats off to you.

My only point of critic, is that I would remove some lines forward. Here's an image for explanation:

schooner.png

As you can see, the red lines (which you have too) are correct. The blue ones however, are not.

The mast already gets pulled forward by the green lines. And as you can see the red lines keep quite close to the mast.

That's the only thing.I hope the masts are still stury if you change it.

Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback again, but I need the "red lines", without them the bowsprit rises like a rocket getting ready to be fired and the other two are crashing down... It looked funny as it happened but could easily be repaired without any cable tangle. So they need to stay. I bought some of the glue Perfectionist suggested. I started the Cross-Rigging on the Ares allready but then the glue went dry after 5,5/9 of one side of the ship... But I learned alot for the rigging of the Queen. Updates with new pictures soon.

What I said was:

So the 'blue' ones can be removed, I don't think they have much influence on the bowsprit.

Edited by Admiral Croissant

What I said was:

So the 'blue' ones can be removed, I don't think they have much influence on the bowsprit.

Ups I was kind of colorblind last night, :pir-grin: the red could go, the blue needs to stay, cause they take the pressure of the bowsprit and hold the masts...

Edited by Aalak

after viewing some of your pictures of your very nice ship,

I think I found the problem of why your bowsprit tends to go up, your missing a stay to pull the bowsprit down,

I tried to explain in the following painted photo

5591379431_461bdfe29b_z.jpg

the blue lines are the ones you already have, the prevent the extension on the bowsprit from going up.

the red line you are missing, it would keep the bowsprit down.

I don't know in English but in Dutch that stay is known as the 'water stay' (NL: waterstag)

Bart

I don't know in English but in Dutch that stay is known as the 'water stay' (NL: waterstag)

the English word is bobstay (German one is Wasserstag, not really different :-) )

Bart is right, a bobstay might just do the trick!