thewatchman

re-colouring of cafe corner

hey folks,

im currently building the cafe corner and iv hit the proverbial lego brick wall. the notourious dark red roof tiles has beaten me. Iv searched high and low and the whole 2 on brick link are not gonna cut it. so ive decided to recolour the roof tiles. i was originally going to used dark blue tiles but i cannot get the curve bricks above the windows in dark blue so im stumped. so i ask all the good people of the lego town society, what colour should i use? heeelllllp :)

I hadnt looked at that yet, I have just started building one also as I have about 90% of the parts in my collection but I dont have those, looks like they have been moving steadily from the BL priceguide. I had thought about new colours for the greengrocer but not the Cafe.

I guess Black or Dark Bluish Grey would be the easiest, I wonder how they would look.

unfortunatly i feel i may have to use "red" because i think black or grey would drain the building.i love the colouring on green grocer, ill try keep that the same.

unfortunatly i feel i may have to use "red" because i think black or grey would drain the building.i love the colouring on green grocer, ill try keep that the same.

I built the Cafe Corner a few months ago and also had trouble with the dark red slopes. I didn't want to compromise on colour, so I used the 'double' slopes (3684) which are abundantly available in dark red on Bricklink. It obviously doesn't give the same tiled effect, but it allowed me to finish building it, and I simply waited patiently for the single slopes to emerge on Bricklink so that I could properly complete the building. You do need 4 of the single slopes for the end bits though...

I built the Cafe Corner a few months ago and also had trouble with the dark red slopes. I didn't want to compromise on colour, so I used the 'double' slopes (3684) which are abundantly available in dark red on Bricklink. It obviously doesn't give the same tiled effect, but it allowed me to finish building it, and I simply waited patiently for the single slopes to emerge on Bricklink so that I could properly complete the building. You do need 4 of the single slopes for the end bits though...

can you show me how this turned out?

I have tried black and dark gray, both look sub par to the dark red.

any plans then? cmon guys your all amazing at design, i want ideas :)

normal blue? i mean might work...

what about the roof tiles from the Log Cabin? or are we not talking about the same color here?

same colour syn but different size unfortunatly. im thinking trying the missing parts number for lego, anyone had success with this method before?

I have it takes a while though. It took almost month to get it.

I actually just finished doing this! I was able to get the dark red slopes off BrickLink thank god! But I was contemplating color change as well. I was thinking red to keep the buildings color scheme somewhat similar.

same colour syn but different size unfortunatly. im thinking trying the missing parts number for lego, anyone had success with this method before?

Asking nicely by email they recently allowed me to buy 200 of a part (maximum) I needed for a moc I'm working on through this service. When I called up with the reference number to make payment the guy on the phone was surprised I was allowed to do so. So it's worth a try, you may have better luck going through the online customer support though.

Asking nicely by email they recently allowed me to buy 200 of a part (maximum) I needed for a moc I'm working on through this service. When I called up with the reference number to make payment the guy on the phone was surprised I was allowed to do so. So it's worth a try, you may have better luck going through the online customer support though.

You won't be able to call Lego for this part. I called 3 separate times and each time they told me that they do not have any because it that part in that color is discontinued.

I think your two best options are to do it in black, or to use the 2-wide dark red roof tiles like smith_sam88 suggested, which are pretty widely available. I think black would look fine, see Green Grocer for example.

One other option I just came up with is this. If you look at the instructions, the roof area is made up of little modules that you build and attach, they are 2x3 at the base and 19 plates tall. I built a SNOT construction that would fit the same size parameters and has essentially the same grade of slope, using 1x1 bricks with stud, some plates, and dark red 1x1 tiles. The parts are all easily available but it would be a very parts intensive way to do it. I don't have a Cafe Corner though so I can't swap it in to see how it looks. I was going to post a picture but my camera has gone kaput today. :-(

Anyways, it's LEGO, don't worry about not having it exactly like the actual set, have fun with it and make it your own.

Lastly, I think the odds are in favor of this part/color combination making it back into circulation one day down the road. Patience might be a virtue here.

Edited by puddleglum

You could always use LDD to change the colours to your liking. Here is a link to the file (done by Johnnhiszippy3) :sweet:

The new camera came in yesterday, here's the brick-built replacement solution I was mentioning before. I still think the 2-wide dark red slopes or a black roof are better options though. Note that the 2x3 tan plate at the bottom here is just to "hold things together", if this solution were really used, that plate would be omitted and the rest of the assembly would be built directly onto the 3rd floor. (i.e. this isn't quite as neat/clean as the instructions where the assembly is completely self-contained)

5555388373_eab4314056.jpg 5555975364_9cf9f1ecc9.jpg

The new camera came in yesterday, here's the brick-built replacement solution I was mentioning before. I still think the 2-wide dark red slopes or a black roof are better options though. Note that the 2x3 tan plate at the bottom here is just to "hold things together", if this solution were really used, that plate would be omitted and the rest of the assembly would be built directly onto the 3rd floor. (i.e. this isn't quite as neat/clean as the instructions where the assembly is completely self-contained)

5555388373_eab4314056.jpg 5555975364_9cf9f1ecc9.jpg

Wow, that's pretty good! I like that very much.

Locutis

Edited by Locutis

Wow, that's pretty good! I like that very much.

Locutis

anyone got a photo of the roof built with double slopes as opposed to the single ones...i am thinking of going down that route and would love to get an idea of how it looks...

hey folks,

im currently building the cafe corner and iv hit the proverbial lego brick wall. the notourious dark red roof tiles has beaten me. Iv searched high and low and the whole 2 on brick link are not gonna cut it. so ive decided to recolour the roof tiles. i was originally going to used dark blue tiles but i cannot get the curve bricks above the windows in dark blue so im stumped. so i ask all the good people of the lego town society, what colour should i use? heeelllllp :)

Had The Same problem but The Pet Shop Came To The Rescue if You Call Lego Missing parts Order The new Dark Red Slopes part # 4623597 here's The Pic Of Them im Still Waiting one the window frames i Ordered on Bricklink to complete mine Finally mms_picture-3.jpg Hope This Helps Everyone With Those Hard To Find Slopes

Had The Same problem but The Pet Shop Came To The Rescue if You Call Lego Missing parts Order The new Dark Red Slopes part # 4623597 here's The Pic Of Them im Still Waiting one the window frames i Ordered on Bricklink to complete mine Finally mms_picture-3.jpg Hope This Helps Everyone With Those Hard To Find Slopes

Lobo you have the wrong pieces for the window frames on the second level of your cafe corner. The set comes with (20) white 1x2x3 panels with hollow studs. You are using the new Lego part that has the thicker side wall which creates a very small window opening. The correct parts (no longer made by or sold by Lego) look much better....try to find them if you can.

Lobo you have the wrong pieces for the window frames on the second level of your cafe corner. The set comes with (20) white 1x2x3 panels with hollow studs. You are using the new Lego part that has the thicker side wall which creates a very small window opening. The correct parts (no longer made by or sold by Lego) look much better....try to find them if you can.

yeah i tried looking for them got a couple of them but till i get all the right ones ill make the correction for now that will work if i can ill make another second floor with the right parts so i can have a taller CC