Sign in to follow this  
pombe

REVIEW: Ninjago 30083: Dragon Fight

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

I'm new to Eurobricks, but I wanted to contribute, so I decided to put together a review. I'm not a Knight, yet, so I cannot set up a poll for this. If someone with moderator powers can add a poll to this review, that would be great. For my first review, I decided to start small, with a polybag LEGO set I found at Target.

Recently, I found three different polybag sets at Target: LEGO Star Wars 30054 AT-ST ($3.99), LEGO City 30010 Fire Chief ($3.49), and LEGO NinjaGo 30083 Dragon Fight ($3.49). These can be found in their seasonal Easter section, along with Easter candies, chocolates, and the ubiquitous Peeps. I chose the Ninjago set, because of my recent discovery of micro-building, it seemed like a great parts pack. While the AT-ST seems more amenable for micro-building, the Ninjago set also comes with a minifigure AND is $0.50 less...and let's face it, who wouldn't want more Ninjas in their LEGO minifigure collection?

30083: Dragon Fight

• Item №: 30083
  • Pieces: 31
  • Minifigures:
  • * 1 Red Ninja
  • Price: US $3.49
  • Ages: 6-12
  • Released: March 2011
  • Theme: Ninjago

Here's a pic of the front and back of the polybag (not that the back is particularly interesting...but I added it for the sake of completeness. I wonder why TLG didn't put the name of the set on the package.

5529833505_9ecd204b34.jpg

5529833515_bfeaf36520.jpg

Here are the front and back of the instructions.

5530440452_e4c15bbac6.jpg

5530440456_cbd5113cbd.jpg

Here are all the parts sorted. I really like the two black multi-bracket ones...I've never seen them before (then again, I've just only recently come out of a dark age) and I'm trying to come up with ways to use them, because they seem like they would have some cool uses.

5529833525_bedb7b7a08.jpg

Front and back of the minifigure. I'm not experienced enough to be able to tell if it is a high quality "box set" or low quality "made in China" minifigure, but the torso does have the neck painted black (see pic of sorted parts), which may or may not indicate the quality of the minifigure. Sadly, the head is not double-sided and there is no print on the back of the torso. He comes with a black katana with a square hilt.

5529833531_2a6f0a71bb.jpg

5529833533_45e484e128.jpg

Here are some shots of the finished "dragon", which, to be honest, looks like a butterfly with a beetle carapace, a tail, and a horned parrot head. Additionally, I don't feel it fits the Ninjago theme, since it doesn't resemble an Asian style dragon. However, I guess if I saw that flying at me, I'd run for my life, too (see pic of front of package). I am also disappointed that the "dragon" has no feet or legs, and thus, cannot land.

5529833539_3855556db7.jpg

5530440420_d1863c49ea.jpg

5530440424_8429cf3594.jpg

Extra parts: an orange horn and a yellow cheese slope. Mmm...cheese....

5530440444_b63a83a9c3.jpg

And a final shot for size comparison.

5530440462_091c3e65e1.jpg

My final verdict:

Playability: 5/10 It's a small set, so I cannot expect too much. The "dragon" is swooshable, and the Ninja has a weapon to fight it.

Design: 7/10 For me, the design suffers, because the "dragon" doesn't really look like an Asian style dragon and it lacks legs so it cannot technically land without crashing. However, I find that this is a great parts pack, which is why I gave it such a high score.

Price: 9/10 Considering that minifigures themselves cost around $3.00, I think this is a great deal.

Overall: 7/10 A good set, great for people who want to army build a red Ninja army and it comes some parts that I think are pretty neat and useful for micro-building, especially if you are looking for red/orange/yellow parts.

Edited by Peppermint_M
Update title

Whoops! I just realized that I built the rear wings incorrectly. How embarrassing! :blush:

Pretty neat NinjaGo polybagged set, thanks for sharing this mini-review pombe! This is a nice alternative way to get the red ninja minifig if you don't want to go through the normal spinner sets and boxed set.

Thanks for the review of an interesting poly bag set 'pombe', but why does it always be the fire one eh ? :wink:

The dragon is different, but in the budget price bracket what more do you expect ? :wink:

Might get this one if it makes it way to Oz.

Keep on spinning everyone ! :grin:

Heh, that dragonfly may not fit Ninjago but it is very cute and I think in regards to pieces it is superior to at least 2010's Creator impulses.

I wouldn't mind getting a cute creator impulse plus a ninja for 3.49. I just hate that these polybag sets don't seem to arrive to this country.

Nice review, I just picked up 2 of these yesterday simply for the figure. It irritates me that the SW one is 50¢ more simply because its SW, and a whole dollar more than last years plugs polybags.

God review though, you mailed ask the key points, sorry for ranting in your review. I do think of the 3 target sets this is the best.

It is good review, but it have error.

80083 - not correct.

30083 - correct

You are correct, thanks for that. I've edited my post, but sadly, I cannot edit the title. If a mod could do that for me, that would be great.

:blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush:

Thanks for sharing this nice comprehensive review with us. It is a pity that such lovely polybags are only restricted in certain regions of the world. It will be a good way to acquire those red ninja. :wub:

You are correct, thanks for that. I've edited my post, but sadly, I cannot edit the title. If a mod could do that for me, that would be great.

:blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush:

Done! :wink:

For a moment, I thought what special set was that! :laugh:

Nice review. I wish I was able to find polybags in Canada, besides the SW ones.

Thanks for the review, it passed some time for a fresh one. :classic:

I like and would probably buy it but here too arent available. ¬¬

Hi, sorry it took so long to index! I have had a busy few days and didn't have time to sort out the image for the list.

Thanks for this review, I do hope it ends up included in the annual Lego promotion one of our newspapers has here in the UK, that or it is in Lego stores!

Ha, you beat me to it. Just bought one last night and thought I might "mini-review" it tonight.

Oh well. My thoughts:

Pros:

- Nice value. 2 of those new angled clip brackets, 2 orange horns, 2 yellow cheese slopes, yellow animal tail, 5 red 1x2 plate with clip, angled plates. These are nice and semi-uncommon.

- 1 uncommon dark red piece.

- a few points of articulation

- Red ninja and sword

Cons:

- Looks like a chicken.

- If the base was 1 longer, like a 2x4 instead of the 2x3 that was in here, you might be able to have studs on the top which would a play feature; the ninja could ride the dragon.

- The color of the tooth piece? Mine is light orange I think, a color I have none of... Should be orange or yellow. Useless maybe.

- No feet.

- Looks like a chicken. :laugh:

Thanks for the review.

EDIT: Also, Bricklink is calling this set "Pheonix"? :shrug:

Edited by TheWarden

EDIT: Also, Bricklink is calling this set "Pheonix"? :shrug:

Phoenix... that makes more sense if you display it upright:

(the orange horn is its beak)

lego%20ninjago%2030083.jpg

compare:

002564bc712b0edace9217.jpg

Interesting. Might be a nice source of those new knuckle pieces. Personally, though, I'd rather go for the Ambush because of the skeleton. :classic:

I remember this. It was in one of my country's newspapers, as part of an annual promotion.

Unfortunately your comment doesn't add much to discussion, so please do not bump nearly two year old topics without having something constructive to say. Thank you.

Thanks for sharing this nice comprehensive review with us. It is a pity that such lovely polybags are only restricted in certain regions of the world. It will be a good way to acquire those red ninja. :wub:

Done! :wink:

For a moment, I thought what special set was that! :laugh:

NZ is one of those. :( I just have to look at great reviews like yours!