Eric J. Olson

The next evolution... ME Track

As someone finally getting back into Lego trains after nearly two decades, this comes as welcome news since my only alternative for expanding my old 9v system was to pay exorbitant prices on Bricklink for meager amounts of straight track pieces.

As cool as these look, I think I'll stick to using alufoiltape and the official RC tracks.

IMG_0038_800x600.jpg

Looks real, doesn't it?

Greetings! :classic:

I would like to give ME a pat on the back for outside thinking! I think they did a nice job, I still tend to think that the foil tape option is still a good alternative, but at leat there are now some choices. Long live 9V! :laugh:

As cool as these look, I think I'll stick to using alufoiltape and the official RC tracks.

IMG_0038_800x600.jpg

Looks real, doesn't it?

I do that too. It works well and is much cheaper then resorting to eBay. I'm excited for these new products, especially the curves. Now the question is.. Do I sell my existing 9v straight track on eBay to get some more money for new track?

...which reminds me. When considering future product ideas, should you ever stretch to points, please consider a motorised version :)

I know, it's not lego, but as talked in another topic, enlighten makes a compatible track in brown color, which I think is much better than the gray lego one, that can be "taped" like KimT (and others) did.

my point is that I have not enough information about the quality of the product, but at least it's a cheaper way to get tracks and switching points.

as soon as I'll have chance to buy a copy of those rails, and assumed that the quality is not that bad, I'll try to put my hands on as much of them as I can afford/need to make my big layout.

(some photos of the tracks can be found here)

have a nice lego day

mrBlue

edit: spelling check

Edited by mrblue

enlighten, reverse engineered their range of track. but really who cares we have new 9v stuff in the range. ME models really has the 9v community with a rope around their necks and i dare say will bring in a fair bit of sales for their new track. :wub:

I have to say, I'm really impressed with the look of the ME Models track. I think the varying lengths of straight track will be very useful, and I can't wait to see how the broader radius curves are going to revolutionize 9V trains. Heck, just the fact that there is a new source of 9v-compatible track will do that!

Something I would love to see down the pike is an acutely-angled cross track, maybe 45 or 60 degrees. TLG only produced a 9V cross track with a 90 degree angle - not a common occurrence in real life. I like the way LEGO set #7996 Train Rail Crossing is a narrow double-crossover track as well as a straight double main line, but not that it is all plastic. I know there are problems with polarity and all, but I would love to see a more prototypical cross track that was 9V-compatible.

And, since I'm airing my "pie-in-the-sky" track wishlist, how about a 9V-compatible wye track? :grin: I can only hope and dream ...

Thanks for the new tracks ME Models!

Something I would love to see down the pike is an acutely-angled cross track, maybe 45 or 60 degrees. TLG only produced a 9V cross track with a 90 degree angle - not a common occurrence in real life. I like the way LEGO set #7996 Train Rail Crossing is a narrow double-crossover track as well as a straight double main line, but not that it is all plastic. I know there are problems with polarity and all, but I would love to see a more prototypical cross track that was 9V-compatible.

And, since I'm airing my "pie-in-the-sky" track wishlist, how about a 9V-compatible wye track? :grin: I can only hope and dream ...

well he has stated there will be further releases with buyer support and patronage so hey, im thinking its time to buy up :3

It's not just the 9volt community, 12volts too it seems that this is finaly what we've been waiting for to combine the two systems.default_laugh_new.gif

Where do you get that alufoiltape from, model shop's? that would be good for the 12volt points and crossings.

That does look very real. What are the specs/ brand of the tape you use. I was looking at 3M and saw a thin and a thicker tape. I figure better continuity with the thicker but, more friction from the same reason. I would like to try my hand at this :classic:

Also, is there something wrong with the Me-Model site..? Safari (MAC) can't seem to open it and I really want to see these products. Seen there others on eBay but, these rails *oh2*

I may be a PF user but this track looks like it will provide the variations that LEGO failed to do, in particular half length, different curves, and maybe some better junctions (I am thinking of the crossover one that does not let both tracks run straight at same time)

Correct. There will be three new radii, the first will be unveiled at BrickMagic in Raleigh, with the other two to follow, hopefully, before summer.

As you can see, the next radius will be R56, or 56 stud radius on center using R40 as the current "standard". The next two will then be R72 and R88. As for the other layout elements, we said that this will be a long-term constantly-evolving product line, so yes, all of the above are viable options for the future.

I'd really like R104 too. This would replace a set of standard curves with two straights between each curve. 48M rails would go good for 48x48 modules.

Eventually I would like a double-slip kit (tracks at 22.5 degrees), and an express point kit (right and left) (64-96M total length but no piece longer than 48M so that the layout can be modular, so maybe 48M for the rails to move across by 8M and another 32-48M for either turning straight or connecting to another point to make a crossover). Would be useful if any points used a similar slider interface to standard points, but anything versatile would be OK. Being able to use a motor or pneumatics underneath would be an advantage for scenic modules.

This is a really good initiative and I hope it succeeds and grows in product range.

Mark

I sure am gonna help them succeed... I can not wait to see what's coming next! :)

Edited by fredolego

Sadly they were simple faster then me (congratulations to ME):

236284.v1.s12.blender.large.jpg

Woody64

Edited by woody64