Eric J. Olson

The next evolution... ME Track

Kids generally don't have a lot of it for layouts, and a lot of AFOLs, myself included are also limited for space, so they do have their uses. Half length straights could also be useful for similar reasons, but I have my doubts about that.

After reading this, it made me curious about what I could use half-length straits for. I mocked up a quick test in BlueBrick of a simple yard. Currently, you have to put a full straight between switches so that the handles aren't overlapped by the curve on the last switch. With half straights, you could get the switches closer together, and add more track to the spurs.

Quarter lengths would bring them even closer, though there's not as much of a gain (at least in this scenario).

For my mock-up, I assumed a train car to be about two track lengths long. Using the smaller lengths, the capacity of a yard could be increased by up to 40%.

Top image, full straights. Middle is with half straights between switches and at the ends of spurs. Bottom is with quarters between switches, and half and quarters at the ends of spurs.

5523343766_b840fed736.jpg

-Elroy

After reading this, it made me curious about what I could use half-length straits for. I mocked up a quick test in BlueBrick of a simple yard. Currently, you have to put a full straight between switches so that the handles aren't overlapped by the curve on the last switch. With half straights, you could get the switches closer together, and add more track to the spurs.

Quarter lengths would bring them even closer, though there's not as much of a gain (at least in this scenario).

For my mock-up, I assumed a train car to be about two track lengths long. Using the smaller lengths, the capacity of a yard could be increased by up to 40%.

Top image, full straights. Middle is with half straights between switches and at the ends of spurs. Bottom is with quarters between switches, and half and quarters at the ends of spurs.

-Elroy

Very interesting. For myself I can say that half length rails would be very useful for PeNNLUG's trolley line as well as a few other things.

5242815578_45a7bc039d.jpg

5242856958_ff72c018c3.jpg

And while we're at it wider radius curves would be absolutely sweet.

Cale

Edited by Cale

-Elroy

Hmm, first post.. :) The flexible tracks are great for quarter or half track lengths (even if some people don't like them)...

MrB

Lets hope ME models are not sexist... first we see different male lengths; now we need some nice curves.

As I have missed out on the 9v years,I am hoping these are for the PF sets. Being new to Lego trains,I am finding it very difficult to amass straight lengths at a reasonable cost.And regardless of which series they're for,I would say if ME packs these in good quantity at a fair price,They will have a very hard time keeping them in stock. I am EAGERLY awaiting any new info. on these!!

As I have missed out on the 9v years,I am hoping these are for the PF sets. Being new to Lego trains,I am finding it very difficult to amass straight lengths at a reasonable cost.

Since you could use 9V track with PF, if it's a decent price, you can still "win."

Since you could use 9V track with PF, if it's a decent price, you can still "win."

For that to be true, it will have to be cost competitive with prices on second hand 4.5V track. Other than that, we're paying extra for a feature we'll never use. I have a large 9V collection, but I've made the switch to power functions.

Being new ,I was wondering how these relate to 4.5v track? And greenmtvince,what do you meen by "feature you'll never use"?

Edited by stacker9000

has anyone noticed the sleepers, they look like new parts, also I quite like the idea of new track based on the old 4.5v era as that is the typeof track that I am usingfor my tram system but it is very expensive so this may be a cheaper option

Being new ,I was wondering how these relate to 4.5v track? And greenmtvince,what do you meen by "feature you'll never use"?

I think he means that if they are built out of metal, and therefor carry current, anybody who only wants them to expand a 4.5V or PF layout doesn't need that feature.

I think he means that if they are built out of metal, and therefor carry current, anybody who only wants them to expand a 4.5V or PF layout doesn't need that feature.

Yet they are compatible.... and since we know nothing, I did, in fact, throw in "if it's a decent price." Meaning: more cost effective than LEGO track (which seems unlikely), but also if it's a decent price and includes something like different radius tracks.

But it's all just speculation... we have no idea what ME is doing. Or, at least I have no idea what ME is doing beyond something to do with trains and 9V (based on the latest RailBricks).

Precisely!

Yet they are compatible.... and since we know nothing, I did, in fact, throw in "if it's a decent price." Meaning: more cost effective than LEGO track (which seems unlikely), but also if it's a decent price and includes something like different radius tracks.

But it's all just speculation... we have no idea what ME is doing. Or, at least I have no idea what ME is doing beyond something to do with trains and 9V (based on the latest RailBricks).

I know you pointed out decent price. I just meant the second hand market for 4.5V rails will be the benchmark for those of us who don't rely on powered track. However, if there's different radius curves, than the whole pricing idea is out the window. Wider radius turns (particularly powered ones) are something that every club and most train AFOLs have wanted for a long time.

Hmm I hope that minfig is soldering 9 volt metal to that rail. :laugh:

This is gonna be a good week with this release coinciding with the release of the Maersk Train.

Can't wait to see the prices this week. :sweet:

Starting to sound like Newt Gingrich.

:laugh: I think we will find that this answer is far more relevant and interesting than anything that's ever come out of a politicians mouth.

Cale

Looking forward to a little revolution.

hang on... if the rails are going to be all metal...we may see some metal wheels with the track to pick up the 9v juice for the power functions stuff. If this does occur...expect a ton of orders, mainly from me XD

hang on... if the rails are going to be all metal...we may see some metal wheels with the track to pick up the 9v juice for the power functions stuff. If this does occur...expect a ton of orders, mainly from me XD

If it is a real revolution then DCC control would be even nicer... but im not sure who owns the copyright on this, and whether there is sufficient market for it. But a DCC --> PF converter would be fun.

If it is a real revolution then DCC control would be even nicer... but im not sure who owns the copyright on this, and whether there is sufficient market for it. But a DCC --> PF converter would be fun.

hmmm, ive seen DCC done on 9v trains before, honestly with the PF motor brick, that shouldnt be too hard. just needa spare section of jumper cable and you could fit DCC to any model...

THATS A CRACKING IDEA!

kudos to you roaming studio :D

THATS A CRACKING IDEA!

Thanks Wallace... sorry Mikka.

The voltage on C1 / C2 lines of PF regulates the speed; look up Philo's home page. The DCC module would need to generate the 9V line, and also split out the correct voltages to C1 / C2 for this to be viable.

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/electrics-dcc-control.htm

You might also need additional outputs for the Aux module of the DCC. It would be a fun project, but lego purists would not be too keen...#

And someone did it already

http://chezfilou.pagesperso-orange.fr/montages-lego/Moteur9V_DCC/MoteurDCC.html

Edited by roamingstudio

I see what looks like both old grey and bluish grey rails in the new picture!

So one more day to go before the 'end of the month'. Either ME Models is pushing the limit exactly or the 1st April will be a new month...

I see what looks like both old grey and bluish grey rails in the new picture!

Pretty sure that's just the light of the welder. The light source is in the middle of the two rails, so one is in the blue light, the other is in shadow. I do wonder how the metal will be applied, as I doubt an all metal rail will have much clutching power. The dude welding should have gloves on too.

Time is running out. The end of the month is very close. CET (with summertime) it's 23:23. ME Models is based in Wisconsin, so a couple of hours yet.

Excited to see what it can be. Can it fulfill the great expectations of people here...? :wink: