kabel

WIP: HM Bark Endeavour

Hi there,

when I was a kid there was this TV show about James Cook and ever since, I've been hooked on ships, explorers etc. especially of the 18the century. So when I got out of my dark ages and discovered this forum, I really wanted to do one of Cook's ships, the best researched of course being the Endeavour. So here is what I came up with so far:

sscn1627.jpg

sscn1629.jpg

here is a view of the kind of hinges I used for this project, thanks to Perfectionist for the idea

sscn1630.jpg

I'm actually kinda stuck right now, as I'm wondering how to connect the sidewalls to the stern and include the window which you can see

here

I'd be glad If the experts could give me some advice on how to improve the whole thing, thanks a lot

kabel

UPDATE 3/31

overall view:

sscn1703.jpg

this is how I plan to put in the window, of course not all of the bricks have the right color yet

sscn1701.jpg

preliminary stern design, some ideas i've been playing around with

sscn1702.jpg

the tan deck is coming along

sscn1700.jpg

current shape of the bow (fortunately no headrails on the endeavour)

sscn1699.jpg

Edited by kabel

Ah yes I've looked at building this ship, looking good so far.

I'll be following this one closely,

I'll have a go at designing that window for you if you like? or at least give some inspiration for it.

Good luck. :thumbup:

That is looking very promising already! The curve is very good and she looks sleek too! I'm not sure about the contrast of reddish brown on old brown hulls, but maybe that's just me; I like having one brown for the entire hull to make it look clean.

As you're building the topdeck railing in a sloped way with the technic bricks for the rigging like on the good old CGH designs I assume you're not going to give her an interior? Well it'y your choice, you can build sleeker without one too. The tan tiling looks very promising; the only reason I prefer reddish brown tiles is that they're cheap on the PAB wall.

Do you need help with filling out the hole in the bow part? You can simply put in a 2x2x1 slope or go for the more elaborate tile and hinge solution I used on Achille using these.

Anyway: I wish you much success and: Have fun! :pir-classic:

So you're in fact "hooked on cook" :pir-classic:

I must say this ship looks very promising. It's already very recognizable the Endeavour and I see that you're working close to the real ship.

My only idea for improvement is to make the brown line (between the black and yellow one) a bit thicker.

On the real ship that 'line' is almost twice as thick as the black line beneath it.

That's all, good luck! I'm looking forward to the next update.

Looks good so far, i wouldnt worry about the stern yet, but if you want, you can always ask our member Blackmoor for some help and make the stern similiar as his sloop Alceste But dont use those large windows on the side. There is 4 options to side windows IMO.

Hope that helps a bit. Keep us updated :thumbup:

Captain Becker

Edited by Captain Becker

thanks for all the positive feedback so far,

@taz: if you came up with an idea, I'd truely apriciate it, the biggest problem that I have is the rather crooked nature of the window and the yellow application around it

@perfectionist: well, old brown would have been nice, however, I got most of the pieces from the log cabin set, which was a good value for so many brown pieces, and actually, if you look at this modelyou could even justify the two browns :pir-classic:

@admiral croissant: thanks for the suggestion, I already worked the idea in and increased the brown by one brick, it definetely looks better now

Ok I had a crack at that window ....with no great success.

Obviously the feathers should be yellow and of different types, but these are all I had (I did try a banana but it was a bit big).

The angle can be adjusted with a different hinge but again it's all I had available.

I don't know if this image helps but if you like any thing but don't know how it was done let me know.

Again good luck.

104_1810.jpg

Ok I had a crack at that window ....with no great success.

104_1810.jpg

I guess a 4-wide window clearly is too big here.

Sorry, Kabel, I underestimated the amount of trouble you're having with that part :pir-blush:

What could work would be to gradually reduce the tumblehome towards the stern and then use these (yellow ofc) in SNOT to both fill the gab to the stern and serve as part of the ornaments.

The window should be rather easy: just use any of those Captain Becker suggested, I'd prefer this one in white, put a sticker on it for the lattice like Admiral Croissant did on his Vesta (direct link to his explanation) and be creative with all sorts of small yellow elements (fumes, minifig hands, flowers etc.) for the yellow ornaments around it.

I don't have bricks where I'm now, so I can't attempt to build a model like TazManiac did. :pir-wink:

Hope that helps.

Tank you guys for all the help. I'll see what I can take into consideration. However, so far i've left this part out, since I'm doing this next to my work that sits on the other desk, this is too much of a headache yet ...

just added an update. I took several of your considerations in and am currently out of the right bricks or merely waiting for bl and pab orders to arrive. In the meanwhile tough, I experimented with some ideas in wrong colors

Edited by kabel

I can't spot any "mistakes" or things I would have done different.

She looks excellent so far and very close to the real ship.

Do you know if the standard (blue) flags will cover the stern windows? I hope they're not too short.

Anyway, keep it up!

And, as an incentive: [bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

thanks for the blogging, only my second so far and quite motivating

as for the stern window covers, as was planning to use this piece 30350.png, and just found out that they need a different counter part, wich I do have in store, altoough not in blue

new update (what's better, keeping all the pics in one post or making a new post for every update?):

the stern getting there:

sscn1716.jpg

Cook checking the progress of turning the "Earl of Pembroke" into the "Endeavour":

sscn1717.jpg

the way if fixed the window problem (no decals yet and the white slope will be replace by a brown one):

sscn1719.jpg

overall view:

sscn1718.jpg

excuse the poor quality of the pics, my dig is a piece of crap, I normally still photograph with film

Edited by kabel

Beautiful! Well done so far :thumbup:

I only think you should change the side windows a little. They are too simple and square IMO.

I think it would look better if it were a bit more detailed, just like you did with the yellow sides of the stern.

Outside of that you're doing good. Keep it up!

She's coming along quite fine. One thing about the side-window. After looking at this picture and that picture, I kind of wonder, if it should be moved one stud towards the bow?

One question. Do you plan to use more red tiles on the deck? I really like the Tan and the red as decoration for the opening and for details. but to much red could be bad for the eyes and the overall style. I guess you where inspired by that replica, but I personally think it's to much. the Lego colors are quite powerfull. If she had a red deck, and it's documented somewhere, she sould get one, but as of now, I don't like it very much. It's to colorful for my taste. I searched for some pictures of the deck of the replica ships, but I couldn't find any. maybe you've got more information.

But overall she gets better and better! Keep the brigs coming!

thank you guys for your constructive criticism, I guess that actually helps more than any possible ohs and ahs,

but anyway,

@Admiral C.: well yes, the window frame isn't quite there yet, it's just really a pain in the butt as I said before. So for now I settled on this kinda preliminary design. We'll see how I can change it, but true inspiration hasn't really hit me yet.

@Aalak: I'm actually more or less doing a fusion between this modelwhich is said to be the most acurate, and of course the "official" replicawhich is also said to be close to the original. On both you can see that the deck's edges and all the structures on deck are kept in red, so that was not my choice. However, all the red plates you can still see in the images will of course eventually be covered by tan tiles, mostly. As for moving the window one stud forward, I thought about it too. The problem is though that I would have to leave out some of the details on the deck, as I'm using only four midsections. So maybe using five midsections would solve that problem, but then again, the ship wouldn't fit the proportions anymore.

Ok, I understand that with the window. One more think, I would change the grey headlights, which make the access cover under the cutter, to tan,too! The other access cover, has a nice design, too. :thumbup: First I thought it meant to be a skylight... but I would turn it around 90 degrees so the opining while face the stern.

hey kabel, nice ship you are working on.

As I see the first pictures my first thought was that it looks a bit funny with all the different colours. But on the second sight it fits the real colours very well.

Are any new updates and/or details are available? ;)

On the window for example?

I´m looking forward to see you set sail! :)

Okay, this is just a small update, but in the meantime I've been working on somthing else, anyway ...

What I worked on recently, is to get all the deck structures somehow translated to LEGO and I also started placing the masts ...

sscn1989.jpg

sscn1992.jpg

sscn1993.jpg

sscn1990.jpg

more pics of course on my brickshelf account

It goes along licely. One thing wich i would like to mention is the Daylight window or whatever the right name was again. Instead of using those large 2x2 windows, would use these, or these. Other than that, it looks promising, keep us updated.

Captain Becker

hi there again,

today i would simply ask the question of which bow design you think looks better

given, that this is the replica I'm moslty relying on

and these are my two solution

Version A:

sscn0101.jpg

Version B:

sscn0102.jpg

thanks for your help and inspiration

kabel

I really like that windlass. With your permission, I may use something just like it on my own WIP.

Also, "B" seems to compliment the hull better.

I also prefer 'B',

Nicely done so far, I like the deck hatches.