Hi!

It seems that whenever i search for somehing i never get that even when I know the full name of the topic.

I checked options but nothing helped.What am i doing wrong?

Example:I searched for the How open are you about your lego passion topic but ended up with everything from the Epic scenes contest to Hi Eurobricks topics but even when I look on very many pages I can´t find the topic!

I´m getting really annoyed at this!

(sorry if one of these threads exist but the search engine ain´t helping me)

Minxter

Edit: fixed spelling

Edited by Fugazi

Maybe use only 1 word, such as passion,(its more specific, and not a "common" word) and click on the more search options. You might want to change how far back it searches, and try out other options. also, if you know which forum its under, select that forum specifically to search, else, make sure you set it to all the forums.

Hope that helps.

I've had problems with the search engine before, so I use Google now. Just type that name in, and it always has the thread you were looking for in one of the first few results. I think the problem is that our search engine searches for the words in the thread, but not the actual thread title.

As others have said, it's better to pick a few key words. I tend to have success most of the time... but to be honest I have troubles myself from time to time.

I think the problem is that our search engine searches for the words in the thread, but not the actual thread title.

You can select where it searches in the advanced options.

Indeed, I always use this version of the Search function (two clicks away from the main search button).

Thanks all! :classic:

I have tried with advanced options but still got problems.

I think I´ll go with spyders option and use google!

Thanks again.

Minxter

If you remember a particular phrase someone said in the thread, search for that directly. It can be a good idea to search by poster names too. These things narrow it down much more than just using individual keywords. I've often been in situations where the only thing I remembered about a thread was some collection of words in one of my own posts in it, but that is usually good enough.

One issue with the EB search is that you have to get the search terms right on the first try, since it makes you wait a while before trying again. The Google search may work as well, but at least on other forums I've seen, Google doesn't index the forum as well as the forum's own search engine and might miss some threads.

Edited by CP5670

I have problems with this too and usually end up having to manually search for it. I never thought of googling it.

Do note that doing that can change your viewing mode.

Ironically that is usually the thread that i'm searching for. :hmpf:

Wow, do I feel stupid, I never knew that. :look:

Do note that doing that can change your viewing mode.

I've never had any trouble with it doing that, but at least I know how to change it back, after seeing all the topics made for that purpose. :laugh:

While looking for the review of the 7097 Troll Mountain Fortress I found the search function on this forum is quite annoying and lackluster in its performance. To top it off, while trying to search for different terms the flood control kicked in and has me wait another 40 seconds. I search, get nothing, and have to wait to search again?

Just try it, search for 7097 review. Also try adding quotes to help limit the search responses, "709 review." Not much info there.

I know I posted in the thread so a quick search of my posts should turn it up.

When I use the search function here, all I get a bunch of jumbled replies and nothing I am looking for. I did find some good stuff along the way, but not the specific review thread I was looking for. I found the review the first time using the search function on the old forum.

Edited by B.C.

Yes, the search does sux.

Tips:

1. Use Advanced search.
  2. Search in topic Titles if it's a topic you're after.
  3. Restrict the forums of search to the most likely ones.

Works for me. :wink:

I search, get nothing, and have to wait to search again?

We have no choice there; spammers would overload the site if that wasn't in place. Sorry just the same though.

To add on what Siegfried has said, in your case, you are looking for a review. In all theme forums, we have pinned topics to show the reviews index. The staff whom is in charge of updating the reviews index will try their best to update it regularly. It's one of the faster methods to search for reviews.

We have no choice there; spammers would overload the site if that wasn't in place. Sorry just the same though.

Does the forum software let you enable the search only for registered members (maybe also with a certain minimum postcount)? That might solve the problem. I agree with him that the time limit is annoying.

Does the forum software let you enable the search only for registered members (maybe also with a certain minimum postcount)? That might solve the problem. I agree with him that the time limit is annoying.

It varies by seniority;

I'm New!: 45

Vassal: 40

Citizen: 20

Knights: 15

Counts: 10

Dukes: 7

Grand Dukes: 6

Archdukes: 5

I've also got an issue where the search engine, even on advanced search, won't find "MOC". I typically tag all my creations '[MOC]', but the search function brings up no results in either advanced or normal modes for '[MOC]' or 'MOC'. Is it because I'm searching for an acronym?

I've also got an issue where the search engine, even on advanced search, won't find "MOC". I typically tag all my creations '[MOC]', but the search function brings up no results in either advanced or normal modes for '[MOC]' or 'MOC'. Is it because I'm searching for an acronym?

I believe that that happens because 'MOC' is too short of a word and is automatically omitted from the search. '[MOC]' is also probably omitted because the square brackets don't count as actual characters in what you search for. Plus, there would be hundreds of pages if searching for 'MOC' worked. :wink:

Yes, three letter searching seems to be a causality of the board upgrade. It's on my list of annoyances to fix. Even so, I can't see much use in tagging things "MOC"; I'd recommend something like "bdMOC" as a tag.

I believe that that happens because 'MOC' is too short of a word and is automatically omitted from the search. '[MOC]' is also probably omitted because the square brackets don't count as actual characters in what you search for. Plus, there would be hundreds of pages if searching for 'MOC' worked. :wink:

I'd planned to use it to filter out some of the non-MOC topics, and use the advanced search to search only in topic titles, but the three-letter thing makes sense.

I typed "well" and tried to search for it, and it said:

No results found for 'well'.

And there is a MOC with a well inside.