Sign in to follow this  
siseon

My T-47 Snowspeeder

Strange, Fallenangel went soft on you, all the same, I'll adress what he didn't :grin:

What do you mean, soft? :tongue: I addressed everything which I felt was clearly at fault.

Here is a good Reference, from ESB.

If you look at that screen capture you'll see that the biggest flaw is the wing trajectory, they should look fatter.

I thought the wings looked off as well, but it could just as well be the camera angle. Also remember that the full-scale mockups had a steeper angle for the wings, and I don't know which version this is based off of (though it's likely he attempted to incorporate elements from both, which doesn't always work out great).

At the back the wings should come out a little, and then their should be a gap between the engines, and the wings. You've got a reference to that, but theirs no real gap. Removing that Jumper should do the trick.

The way I saw it that area was just a messy attempt.

I think the whole model might be too big(Looking at the reference pic I linked). You can look at the nose and see thet its considerably shorter than what you've portrayed it as.

Although it is true that the model is clearly oversized if you take the size of the minifigure as a whole into account, you can see in this picture that the sizes of their heads are just about right.

The top of the cockpit has a Black-Trans that is 2 bricks tall, and 2 studs wide; You probably want 1 1x2 brick Bley, and one Trans black.

Again, messy attempt.

The wings may be a bit 'Busy' as well. They Also may need some proportional work.

I did address the stray cheese slopes and unnecessary greebling. The proportions of the wing are actually pretty good.

These are two great-looking snow-speeders. I especially like the rear cooling fins - that's a really clever design. I also like the parts you used for the tips of the main cannons on the speeder with the dark grey markings: they capture the "roundness" of the ends of the main guns quite well.

Do you happen to have any pictures of the underside of your snow-speeder? I'd be very interested to see how you got on with that area - I think it's probably the most difficult bit to get right in lego snowspeeders and I haven't seen a good one yet!

These are two great-looking snow-speeders. I especially like the rear cooling fins - that's a really clever design. I also like the parts you used for the tips of the main cannons on the speeder with the dark grey markings: they capture the "roundness" of the ends of the main guns quite well.

As siseon already mentioned, those are from Brickdoctor's model. I'd actually consider it a bit of a regression, since siseon omitted the plug for the tow cable.

Do you happen to have any pictures of the underside of your snow-speeder? I'd be very interested to see how you got on with that area - I think it's probably the most difficult bit to get right in lego snowspeeders and I haven't seen a good one yet!

It's basically Larry Lars' model with a few mods, so it probably looks like this. I honestly don't see the resemblance, though.

Edited by fallenangel309

It's basically Larry Lars' model with a few mods, so it probably looks like this. I honestly don't see the resemblance, though.

My point exactly... the bottom of Larry Lars' model was, IMHO, the weakest part: but nonetheless it is one of the best snowspeeder undersides out there: beaten only by Marshal Banana's design. I do keep hoping that someone has come up with a better basic design for this part of the snowspeeder, and as I said I'd love to see what siseon has done with the underside of his model.

It's all total self-interest, of course: I'm hoping for some ideas to "research" to help improve my own snowspeeder design :wink:.

My point exactly... the bottom of Larry Lars' model was, IMHO, the weakest part: but nonetheless it is one of the best snowspeeder undersides out there: beaten only by Marshal Banana's design.

Those two look basically the same to me, no significant differences design-wise.

I feel that using inverted slope bricks doesn't really work here. You have to go with angled plates to get the shape right; otherwise it's too bulky.

Great work, siseon. fallenangel's basically covered all the points I noticed, but it still looks pretty good. I do agree that I'd like to see you add something major of your own instead of combining many other techniques from other people, to make it truly your MOC, and especially since Lars-style T-47s are becoming quite common.

Very nice! Probably the best minifig-scaled snowspeeder I've seen until now!

Looks good! You can see the influence of other MOCers though, it seems like a lot of techniques are theirs... I also think its not quite fat enough. I just see a bit too much of other designs, maybe its just me.

I don't see any problem, most of the amazing MOC's around here a "full of techniques influenced by other builders", if not, why share our creations?

I don't see any problem, most of the amazing MOC's around here a "full of techniques influenced by other builders", if not, why share our creations?

Agreed. Plus there's only so much originality you can put into an MOC when basing on an actual vehicle.

These are really nice - just looking at them makes me want to have a go myself. :thumbup:

Hello!

The authentic shape of the front section with that clever wedge plate angles makes this a truly fantastic snowspeeder! :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Agreed. Plus there's only so much originality you can put into an MOC when basing on an actual vehicle.

Are you sure?

Legostein, the nose is from Larry Lars' model. According to Brickdoctor, it's the most accurate and aesthetically pleasing solution possible at this scale, which explains why so many other people borrowed the design. It could be likened to the proton torpedo launch tubes on Brucey-wan's X-wing.

I was merely referring to the fact that many techniques that have been complemented are not original ones, in fact alomost the entire build is other MOCers.

Perhaps Siseon could address individually the techniques that are other MOCers?

One of the best smaller creations I've ever seen! Very good work! Designing and details are very good job! :thumbup:

does anyone have a full straight on shot (from the front) of the T-47? :sceptic:

Or the closest angle you can get of that.

I need one for the adjustments I'm making.

Thanks in advance!

does anyone have a full straight on shot (from the front) of the T-47? :sceptic:

Or the closest angle you can get of that.

Here.

Loads more here.

Oh I'm sure. :tongue:

Joking aside, these are the three references siseon states. Between the three, only Brickdoctor's goes for a radically different approach. I'd say anyone would be hard-pressed to create a T-47 that doesn't bear a resemblance OR 'borrow' ideas from these three builders. I would love to be proved wrong (soon, not just yet :laugh:) .

EDIT: siseon - Is that a picture of you in your avatar?

Edited by Praiter Yed

Joking aside, these are the three references siseon states. Between the three, only Brickdoctor's goes for a radically different approach. I'd say anyone would be hard-pressed to create a T-47 that doesn't bear a resemblance OR 'borrow' ideas from these three builders. I would love to be proved wrong (soon, not just yet :laugh:) .

There's another variant here, though it was developed independently from the Lars model. Rather nice wing technique. The only other noticeably different approach to this design that I can think of would be to do wings with upside-down plates, since a SNOT studs-out wing wouldn't look much different from the wings I've done, and that would look all rough and totally unlike the 'real' T-47 wings. Personally, I too think that T-47 design in this scale has reached the point where the only way to not use a technique already used would be for TLG to release a new piece. (wedge tiles or half-plate tall-panels, anyone?)

Wow, looks great Siseon! :thumbup: I love it how you have taken different aspects of the three other T-47s. I like the red/grey prototype one just as much as the grey one. :wub:

I'll have to try one day to build one of these, they simply are beauties!

CF

Oh, I like them. It's quiet difficult to build diffrent in this case. And we all copied Georg Lucas :laugh:

There is also an other version from roguebantha_1138:

4423229880_354e9aa878_z.jpg

For me the winner is the original design of Larry Lars, sure. But its nice to see the versions of other builders.

I think Brickdoctor's design goes a step further with the snot-wings in therms of originality but I really enjoy these two additions. :thumbup:

There's another variant here, though it was developed independently from the Lars model. Rather nice wing technique.

I knew I shouldn't have typed that last bit :grin: . That is indeed an interesting wing design.

But still, apart from these four styles of T-47 MOC, what have the Romans ever done for us Fallenangel?