1. 1. Vote your opinion

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

gallery_101_23_281.gif

30055 Vulture Droid pictorial mini review

NOTE: The model in the photos is actually incorrectly built. To understand why, read my follow up post here.

The bag

Bag_resize.jpg

The parts

Some good parts here. 2x2 tile in Dark Blue is nice. Plenty of 1x4 Dark Bley slopes.

Parts_resize.jpg

The instruction

A simple build without any surprises

Instructions_resize.JPG

Hovering

Waiting to go on full throttle

Take-off_resize.JPG

Flight

Cruising along

Hovering_resize.JPG

No color

Study in black and white

Flight_resize.JPG

Close up

Close-up_resize.JPG

Belly landing

Ouch

Parked_resize.JPG

Verdict

A nice build, decent swoshability, good parts. For a mini-set, I say 8 out of 10.

Wow, thanks for doing a review for us Superkalle :thumbup:

I dunno how and why I missed this at LEGOWorld. :angry:

blogged

Nice review, great pictures.

Is there an extra 1x1 round transblue stud in the set?

Yes, there is actually. And a cheese slope and a droid arm. All together 3 extra parts.

Wow, thanks for doing a review for us Superkalle :thumbup:

blogged

No prob Kim. Glad I could to something for the world's leading SW forum :classic:

(Biased? Who, me? Nah...)

Thanks for the review 'Superkalle', I actually like this set....a very true to form Vulture Droid....though do to the parts it can only be displayed in one of it's many modes.

I wonder how these will be come available.....I can guess the U.K. only with The Daily Mail again right ? :wink:

May the brick be with you ! :grin:

Thanks for the look at this set Superkalle. But are you sure you built it correctly? The bag art seems to show that the modified 1x2 brick with bars goes fully under the body of the ship, with no trans-blue 1x1s actually showing from the front or angled view. It looks like you've put that brick too far back, out from under the body of the ship.

Thanks for the look at this set Superkalle. But are you sure you built it correctly? The bag art seems to show that the modified 1x2 brick with bars goes fully under the body of the ship, with no trans-blue 1x1s actually showing from the front or angled view. It looks like you've put that brick too far back, out from under the body of the ship.

good catch. I saw this as well.

modded at birth? :grin:

Nice MINI. This is the most accurate one so far this year. BTW, those dark bley slopes are 1x4, not 1x3 :grin:

You may well be right. The set was actually built by my son, and he might have gotten it wrong. He got to build it, because he was the one who got it at LegoWorld. They had this corner were you were able to build with a SW designer, and you had to sign up and you could only get in there if you were a child. Luckily I had my son with me, so it was a great opportunity to chat with the SW guys directly. Ras 74 was with us too. We talked about wanted models, Lucas screening process, design process etc. After we were done, as we were exiting the area, a TLG rep came up to us and asked if they could spare us a minute. Sure we said. They showed us in to a room, where they had three SW models lined up. Two of them I recognized as being released sets, but the third one was a mockup of a future model. They asked my son which he liked the most of the three and if I remember he picked one of the ones that are allready in production. Anyway, it was interesting to be part of the Lego "model selection process" and to get a chance to understand how they decide which models to put on the market. As thanks for the time with the designers, my son got three bags of the Vulture. And it wasn't until a few days after I got home from Legoworld that I realized the set was actually brand new, and I decided to do the review.

Nice MINI. This is the most accurate one so far this year. BTW, those dark bley slopes are 1x4, not 1x3 :grin:

Thanks for letting me know. I aint getting much right today :blush:

Fixed now in the first post.

Cool, thanks for the review, even though it's built wrong and you didn't show any pics of the underside, the spare parts, or the landing mode. :tongue: I wouldn't mind getting one of these to display next to my brickmaster minis. :thumbup:

Oh, and you should probably mention that the stand is not included in the set.

a very true to form Vulture Droid....though do to the parts it can only be displayed in one of it's many modes.

Actually, you can convert it into standing mode as well, thanks to the head being attached by a droid arm. :wink: And what other modes are there?

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Pretty neat overview of this mini SuperKalle, thanks for sharing! :thumbup: Not bad for a mini polybagged set, nice assortment of parts and the model might be useful for some mini-space dogfight diorama.

Thanks for the review and posting the pics. I really like your background story on how you and your son got this set.

They showed us in to a room, where they had three SW models lined up. Two of them I recognized as being released sets, but the third one was a mockup of a future model.

ohh, mind telling us what the model was of? :sweet:

Thanks for the great review! This is a great mini and really has the vulture droid captured perfectly! :wub:

I can't wait to get my hands on one or two. :wink:

Oh, the shame KimT. How can you call yourself a Star Wars Lego fan now! :grin:

Oh, the shame KimT. How can you call yourself a Star Wars Lego fan now! :grin:

Yeah I know :laugh:

Luckily it seems you had to be a kid building with the designers to get this.

I couldn't sign up as I am no kid anymore and they've closed the sign-up when I got there :laugh:

Wow, that's a great-looking mini set! It'll definitely be going in my collection of ever-increasing mini models sooner or later. :laugh:

It sounds like you had a fantastic time at LEGOWorld, Superkalle!

Hello!

The review is great, no doubt! :classic:

However, I don't like this model at all. I don't consider this a mini model. The shrinking factor is too low for me. The original system-scaled playset of the Vulture droid was 16 studs, and this one now is 10 studs. And TLC calls this a proper mini model? Agreed, it's nicely designes, but I'd rather call this a midi model insetad of mini. :wink:

Best greetings,

Christopher

Edited by Legostein