1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

index2.jpg

Hello everyone,

It has been quite a long while since I last shared a LEGO City review with all of you and this time, I have decided to share this exclusive LEGO Airline set which I have bought in 2009 via Lufthansa Airlines. It was only made available in selected airlines such as KLM, Virgin Atlantic, etc on selected long-haul flights in the in-flight cabin sales and it normally will last for a year based on mine experience. I had never seen such an exclusive set made available elsewhere apart from BrickLink and eBay. Then again, I am very pleased to own this in my collection. Let's move on to see what is so special in this set. :wink:

Name: Airshow Plane

Theme: LEGO / SYSTEM / Town / City

Year: 2009

Pieces: 115

Minifigs: 2

Price: USD N.A, GBP N.A, SGD N.A, EURO 16

Resources: Brickset, BrickLink

An image of a 7643, Airshow Plane

1~3.jpg

Rear box's image

2~4.jpg

As you can see the dimension of this small LEGO set is compacted to fit the cabin trolley which was used to push along the aircraft isle and space was a huge constrain and is considered as a significant cost if the unit cost does not justify the occupying space in the aircraft.

The LEGO box is measured at 19cm length, 9.5cm width and 9cm height. A total of 119 LEGO pieces were stored in such boxes and if only the rest of our regular LEGO sets are packed in this manner, it could also help to save shipping costs when you import a MISB set via overseas.

Getting ready for another spectacular flying display

22.jpg

What I love about this set! I love everything in here with one exception and that is the pilot which I will explain in later section. This plane is specially designed for aircraft aerobatic display in those air show exhibitions and the spectators will enjoy a cup of cool ice cream to ease the hot temperature at the stand.

Not sure how many of you are reminded by this lovely 1995 Classic Town set, known as the 6345 Aerial Acrobats. Personally I felt that this set can be integrated together with this modern City approach. In fact, I believes such a LEGO City set could be even made possible with all of the elements put together.

LEGO Content

3~3.jpg

The box contain two polybags and each contains quite a fair number of useful parts and uncommon colours like pink and lime green. Furthermore, what I like best was the nine tasty looking piece of silver cheese slopes. :wub:

Instruction manuals & Sticker sheet

4~4.jpg

This is likely my first time experience to see two instructions booklets for such a small set. On the left side of the picture, you will be able to observe the stickers sheet which is to be applied on the aircraft. Unfortunately in this review, I will not be able to show the aircraft with the stickers applied.

Minifigures

9~2.jpg

In this airline promotional set, you will get two minifigures and among them, there is actually one lovely female minifigure with the long brown ponytail hairpiece which I adore most. The torsos are quite plain but what annoys me the most was the male headpiece. I am not a big fan of this creepy looking beard smiley face. It could be better if it was replaced by some other male facial expressions. Even a generic Classic Town expression will also be most welcomed! Nevertheless, both minifigures are good additions to your City population.

An overview of the Ice Cream stand

10~0.jpg

This is a very simple booth that sells ice cream in chocolate and strawberry favours. How did I guess the favours? I am supposed it's not that hard to interpret by the 1x1 round studs. :tongue:

This is a cute looking ice cream stand and it can also be integrated with other past City Impulse sets like the 8398 BBQ Stand and the female stall owner will likely to find herself a rival. :laugh:

Click to view the image

Image above is credited to Eurobricks Global Moderator, Svelte (Click here for his review)

Different close up angles of the Ice Cream stand

8~3.jpg

Building the aircraft fuselage

14.jpg

As we moves on, this is the illustration of the building process. The base of the aircraft does reminds me of the classic standard for modern small aircraft. Do note that a wide variety of colour bricks were used in this construction including the single 1x2 green technic brick piece.

Aircraft wings

12~0.jpg

These are the completed pieces of the aircraft wings which are one of the key attributes to aerodynamics.

Landing gear

normal_15.jpg

The landing gear may looks less complicated than the real aircraft but these small little white wheels are very much used in a lot of LEGO aircraft and vehicles. Simple it may seems but useful it can be.

Front view of the Airshow Plane

16.jpg

I am really amazed and attracted by the completed built of this aircraft. It is truly a beautiful piece especially with the nice colour combinations of red and white and a little silver touch at the sides along with the big black propeller. I did some "swooshing" and it is an enjoyable experience who loves small planes like this, unlike those recent huge mega commercial City aircraft.

Rear view

18.jpg

Side view

20.jpg

Bottom view

19.jpg

Closer look at the aircraft rotor engine

17.jpg

Is this supposed to be for vehicular towing purpose?

26.jpg

I have been asking around for months and I don't have a definite answer to this. I am still wondering why that round ball is placed at the rear of the aircraft. Is it meant for "dragging" upon landing or "towing" for transportation from point to point. If any got an answer to it, I will be glad to hear from it. :blush:

Spare parts

23.jpg

These are the remaining spare parts available in this set. Not many useful parts except for the 1x1 colour round studs and cheese slope.

The pilot is controlling the aircraft steadily and...

24.jpg

He goes for the spin!

27.jpg

For the price that I have paid, it is definitely quite expensive but for the exclusivity, distribution channels and the relevance of the integration experience with my existing sets, it is definitely worth getting it! The feeling of purchasing an exclusive LEGO set above thousands of feet can be a nice experience too! Overall, I really enjoyed this set with the civilian minifigures and the addition of both the ice cream stand and the airshow plane made it worthwhile to put this into my shopping basket. What do you think? Will you get this in your collection? :sweet:

Summary review

Playability: 8.5/10 (It is fun to swoosh aircraft that is supposed to do acrobat stunts.)

Design: 8.5/10 (The overall design is very appealing to me and it is quite uncommon to get such designs nowadays.)

Price: 6.5/10 (It is expensive based on the given price but you ought to look at the other attributes of getting it especially when you are given a chance to buy it.)

Overall: 7.7/10 (If you are a City aircraft lover and is also a collector for City exclusive sets, then you should not give this a miss.)

I gave it a "4" based on my Review Score Card. :wink: What about yours?

Hope everyone of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Critics are strongly welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Brickshelf (When moderated)

Edited by Zorbas
Indexed

I didn't see if posted but where did you get it? :classic:

Did you read my first paragraph of the review? :look:

Thanks 'Fangy' for the review, neat little set....I might scratch-build the little ice-cream stand....well soft-serve or frozen yogurt it more likely be. :wink:

The plane is a great looking stunt plane.....you are very lucky to have this set in your collection....airlines in Oz don't do this with Lego....Qantas use a cheap Chinese clone brand....so sad ! :sadnew:

Anyway, thanks again and Brick On ! :grin:

airlines in Oz don't do this with Lego....Qantas use a cheap Chinese clone brand....so sad ! :sadnew:

Same here for Singapore Airline, for their A380 building model. :cry_sad:

I think that is supposed to be the rear caster wheel used for landing.

Thanks for the tip!

I believe it is called a Tail Skid.

Bruce

I agree. I own this set myself and that's what I thought when I built it.

I voted for 'average' - mainly for one reason: The landing gear. It's ridiculously huge with that big arch piece and looks completely out of place if you 'swoosh' the plane around.

Nice review; are these types of sets mentioned on BL by any change?

Am I the only one seeing 'Adam Savage' from the Mythbusters as the pilot!? :tongue:

I voted for 'average' - mainly for one reason: The landing gear. It's ridiculously huge with that big arch piece and looks completely out of place if you 'swoosh' the plane around.

I forgot to mention that when I "swoosh" it around. I actually removed the landing gear which made it looks better in appearance.

Nice review; are these types of sets mentioned on BL by any change?

Please refer to the top of the review under set information where I have indicated the direct link for this set in Bricklink. If there is not what you meant, please let me know what you are asking.