Sign in to follow this  
Admiral Croissant

Keelhaul! by Auric

Flickr member Auric has made a very gruesome MOC depicting a scene that happened quite regularly back in the 17th century...

...a keelhaul!

The ship and the blood on it has been done in a clever way and the captain looks great as well.

I only wonder why the hauling sailor doesn't wear any pants :pir-sceptic:

5416232284_c3395c25e4.jpg

More pictures of this MOC and Auric's photostream.

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Great (however gruesome) creation. Good find Admiral, and great work Auric on making an entertaining creation. I like the technique he has used for the tumblehome, and the expression of the onlooking captain is perfect. :pir_laugh2:

That is for the jolly Roger II contest on Forbidden Cove I believe. It's a bit cartoonish and very bloody, but well built and the hull technique isn't bad either! :pir-classic:

Good find Admiral, and great work Auric on making an entertaining creation.

Actually, TazManiac has found this one. He is our News Scout. But it was a nice find indeed :pir-classic:

That is for the jolly Roger II contest on Forbidden Cove I believe.

I didn't want to mention that, but you're correct. I must say there are quite a few good MOC's in that contest.

That looks mighty painfull :pirate_sad2: Glad that's not me!

The blood is probably the best part of this scene.

Violent but well made. What exactly is a keelhaul?

Its a form of torture, here is a link.

Violent but well made. What exactly is a keelhaul?

Wikipedia says the following:
Keelhauling (Dutch: kielhalen)Why would the Dutch word be mentioned? Perhaps because we used this punishment the most? :pir-grin: "to drag along the keel" is a form of punishment meted out to sailors at sea. The sailor was tied to a rope that looped beneath the vessel, thrown overboard on one side of the ship, and dragged under the ship's keel, either from one side of the ship to the other, or the length of the ship (from bow to stern) -That would be pretty lethal on a ship of some 200 feet... As the hull was usually covered in barnacles and other marine growth, if the offender was pulled quickly, keelhauling would typically result in serious cuts, loss of limbs and even decapitation. If the victim were dragged slowly, his weight might lower him sufficiently to miss the barnacles; but this method would frequently result in his drowning.
Hope that answers your question.