Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

I notice the 2009 Imperial Guard torso has been used but also there's a new Imperial Guard torso which could work well in non-POTC armies.

5409311362_952a0d12d0_o.jpg

It looks to me like there is actually a tiny patch of skin right under the head.

The body for the Carriage driver, which is the same as Ollivander from Harry Potter, does not have any flesh on it, I don't think.

Thanks - I was having trouble finding a clear picture of that at the right angle with no whip or cape in the way. It actually does have flesh.

I really can't see it on the 2011 soldier though. There's a small patch of white, but no flesh.

I'm already making a list of how many of the new torsos and hats and accessories I need. six tricorns with the white line. Six of the 2011 soldier torso. Three of Barbossa's soldier torso. One of his soldier hat. Three of his musketeer hat. One tan tricorn. Six gold ingots. Six plain bottles. Two buckets. One globe.

It's going to be an expensive Bricklink order.

Edited by David Thomsen

I do not understand why so many people are complaining about historical accuracy on the POTC sets. I mean seriously. :imperialguard_commander1: Take a look at the 2010 Imperial Flagship. That ship is not in any way historically accurate in terms of the design of a real man o' war and yet everybody still liked it. I can understand why some people might think the Queen Annes Revenge is childish but, then why do you care about Lego and why are you even commenting on it. :pirate_sad2:

Back on topic. I for one am absoluty crazy about the new sets and especially the Queen Anne's Revenge. That ship is so cool. :pir-sweet: It reminds me a lot about the old Skull Eye's Schooner. Great job Lego designers. I hope that you give as much attention to detail when you come out with the Black Pearl. :pir-classic:

Hmm...

Barbossa's torso

2009 Soldier's torso

2011 Soldier's torso

Can't see Blackbeard's torso under the beard, unfortunately, but it's possible.

So that's two confirmed, one we've already got, and one 'maybe'... where did you get five?

I was counting:

Barbossa

Blackbeard

The new redcoat from London Escape

The blue soldier from Fountain of Youth

The carriage driver

However, you may be right about the carriage driver and indeed we don't know what's under Blackbeard's beard :pir-sceptic:

I was hoping for more, but I guess that's better than nothing.

I do not understand why so many people are complaining about historical accuracy on the POTC sets. I mean seriously. :imperialguard_commander1: Take a look at the 2010 Imperial Flagship. That ship is not in any way historically accurate in terms of the design of a real man o' war and yet everybody still liked it. I can understand why some people might think the Queen Annes Revenge is childish but, then why do you care about Lego and why are you even commenting on it. :pirate_sad2:

Back on topic. I for one am absoluty crazy about the new sets and especially the Queen Anne's Revenge. That ship is so cool. :pir-sweet: It reminds me a lot about the old Skull Eye's Schooner. Great job Lego designers. I hope that you give as much attention to detail when you come out with the Black Pearl. :pir-classic:

Okay, for one the flagship is not supposed to be a man o' war nor a ship of the line, so.... irrelevant.

That's just friggin' awesome. Thanks :)

I noticed that the oars are slightly different than the original mould

I was going to post about that! The oars in my recently-purchased Brickbeard's Bounty (oh how I miss it!) were just like those instead of the regular oars. Does anyone else have some of these already?

TC

Edited by TalonCard

Anybody else noticed the "Batteries included" on the Whitecap Bay's box? (it is possible that I've missed it somewhere in these posts :P )

Looks awesome!

Oh wow. Just incredible sets. The ship, from the back at least, looks like it could be great (with just a little modding).

And that Imperial Officer's torso! :pir-wub:

The other sets, while some are a bit average, still look good, and worth the purchase even just for the parts and figures.

My wallet groans...

:pir_laugh2:

Edited by Commander Laquiet

Wow. Now that I'm on my computer, I can analyse these in more detail.

This looks great. I'm not exactly a Pirates fan, so most of these minifig parts are new to me. The variations of Jack are great, with some nice double-sided heads. I've got to get the version with the hat, so I may get the London chase set.

My budget is going to take a huge hit this year...

Oh no, there goes an easy Grand. Good thing I put money aside for this. From a mocing view of things, 3 london escapes, 3 whitecap's, the captains cabin and a couple of Qar's. That should do me, as the mill looks pretty bland and any other cool parts can be bricklinked. Pretty cool line though, so I hope it gets a good few years like the Indy line.

I've gone and realised that Lego are about to release a theme that I want every single set from.

That has not happened in some time...

Okay, for one the flagship is not supposed to be a man o' war nor a ship of the line, so.... irrelevant.

Let me see. Lots of guns, lots of soldiers, no cargo bay just a gun deck. How could the Imperial Flagship a red coat warship not be depicting a man of war to you. I mean everybody knows that it is a red coat warship aka man of war. Besides my point is that this ship is not historically accurate to how real warships aka man of wars were built.

As far as your earlier points about the hat and the flag. Yeah I can see why there is some disapointment about the hat but, then looking at the figure I don't see why we can't use a regular tricorn which would be decently accurate. Also the flag is not my favorite either and I can see your point on that as well.

Now looking at all of that consider; here we are complaning about the flag, the new hat, how the window gallery is weird but, do you remember the days when we just had this ship My link or this ship My link. Considering some of Lego's past pirate ships this is a big leap ahead. :pir-classic: Besides I don't ever expect to see Lego release lego sets depicting releastic ships anyway because it is a kids toy. Most kids want the sets to look cool and really if we all get so serious about our hobby that we forget how and why we got into the hobby to begin with than I think we need to re-examin our time spending paradigm. And, I might add that complaining about every little detail is nothing but, destructive. There was a time when Lego was releasing absolutly horrible sets and over-charging for them but, those days are over and as long as the current sets are a little better than the previous sets that just came out, like for instance Queen Anne's Revene vs. Brickbeards Bounty, I will be happy.

Edited by Jack Bricker

I'm going to have to get some of these, if for nothing else but those sword satchels...

-Santhor

These sets are awesome, definitely will get some to mine for parts.

Just curious on other's feelings - what's your stance on mixing classic yellow minifigs with fleshies? I like the fleshies, they look cool, but to me, yellow minifigs are classic LEGO. I love the new torsos, but exposed flesh tones means they won't be mixable with yellow parts.

That picture is probably unfortunately a sticker though. The window piece is indeed new. :thumbup:

I agree, like the pirate wanted sign and the two pics in the Market Village, I actually don't mind a sticker in the case of the paintings.....I would like to see more of them.

Let me see. Lots of guns, lots of soldiers, no cargo bay just a gun deck. How could the Imperial Flagship a red coat warship not be depicting a man of war to you. I mean everybody knows that it is a red coat warship aka man of war. Besides my point is that this ship is not historically accurate to how real warships aka man of wars were built.

As far as your earlier points about the hat and the flag. Yeah I can see why there is some disapointment about the hat but, then looking at the figure I don't see why we can't use a regular tricorn which would be decently accurate. Also the flag is not my favorite either and I can see your point on that as well.

Now looking at all of that consider; here we are complaning about the flag, the new hat, how the window gallery is weird but, do you remember the days when we just had this ship My link or this ship My link. Considering some of Lego's past pirate ships this is a big leap ahead. :pir-classic: Besides I don't ever expect to see Lego release lego sets depicting releastic ships anyway because it is a kids toy. Most kids want the sets to look cool and really if we all get so serious about our hobby that we forget how and why we got into the hobby to begin with than I think we need to re-examin our time spending paradigm. And, I might add that complaining about every little detail is nothing but, destructive. There was a time when Lego was releasing absolutly horrible sets and over-charging for them but, those days are over and as long as the current sets are a little better than the previous sets that just came out, like for instance Queen Anne's Revene vs. Brickbeards Bounty, I will be happy.

Oh yes I agree with you kinda. I just meant it is not supposed to be a ship of the line like endeavor. Looks like a simple frigate to me. cause you can call almost medieval looking caravels man o wars, but for golden age I think its way under armed for a man o war. I have a french frigate tattoo that you can technically call a man o war depending on the time period.

Edited by On Stranger Tides

More new pieces in whitecap bay: grey arches (introduced in PoP)

A new 2x2 corner near the light

There also appears to be a new clip on the cage with the cannibals

These sets are awesome, definitely will get some to mine for parts.

Just curious on other's feelings - what's your stance on mixing classic yellow minifigs with fleshies? I like the fleshies, they look cool, but to me, yellow minifigs are classic LEGO. I love the new torsos, but exposed flesh tones means they won't be mixable with yellow parts.

Whos to say that the bit of fleshie showing on some of the torsos isnt just a flesie coloured vest that the pirate is wearing underneath? :pir_laugh2: Thats my explanation for when I mix them.

Whos to say that the bit of fleshie showing on some of the torsos isnt just a flesie coloured vest that the pirate is wearing underneath? :pir_laugh2: Thats my explanation for when I mix them.

I agree completely Derfel. :thumbup:

Hoping to get 3 sets upon completion of GCSE's, Captains Cabin, Isla de la Muerta and the QAR! I wonder if the captains cabin set is made so you can fit it in the QAR? Also only one set with Penelope Cruz?

Love the new redcoat body and the white stripes on the tricorns, I wonder if the Jack heads are reversible?

I'm excited about getting an Ian McShane (the actor who plays Blackbeard) mini-fig. I was a huge, huge "Deadwood" fan, and I love the idea of making an Al Swearingen mini-fig, complete with knife and severed Indian head.