Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

I hope they reprint the Black Pearl if they decide to make more when POTC 5 comes out. I wanted to add the Pearl, just never had the money at the time :(

I really hope they make a FD set though! I just want the 2 iconic ships lol, and I'd be good to go.

I hope they reprint the Black Pearl if they decide to make more when POTC 5 comes out. I wanted to add the Pearl, just never had the money at the time :(

I really hope they make a FD set though! I just want the 2 iconic ships lol, and I'd be good to go.

That wont happen. there could be a chanse of a new black pearl though. I think alot of people missed it in OST so it might be back in movie5

That wont happen. there could be a chanse of a new black pearl though. I think alot of people missed it in OST so it might be back in movie5

I think movie 5 will be about Jack and Gibbs trying to release the Pearl from the bottle, and Barbossa, having Blackbeard's sword, is the only person with the power to do so.

I really doubt we'll ever see any more sets from the first 3 films.

As many problems as the Black Pearl had, I'd hate to have "another" Black Pearl ship released. They should release something new to keep people interested. I saw the Black Pearl on clearance all around me, so at least here not a lot of people wanted it (or they just ordered too many thinking there was more of a demand). Plus, it was the Black Friday deal last year or two years ago at Target. I know that doesn't help everyone that missed out on it, but for those who did already purchase it, it would be a turn off. The sad thing is, it would probably be loads better than the initial release which would be more upsetting also. Not to mention having dozens of Jack Sparrows walking around..

As far as future sets go, I would like to see some early movie sets again, just to help develop the theme as a whole. Not that there are a lot more places they could use that they didn't already. I thought the initial wave had a good mix of old with new, granted I was lost completely on the new sets since I didn't see the movie until months after it was released on dvd.

The huge problem story wise vs technical capabilities is they gave Barbossa the QAR. The QAR and the Black Pearl are simply massive redresses of the same ship / set. So it is very very difficult and expensive to put both on screen in the same movie. After the massive profit bomb of the Lone Ranger it is likely that the next PotC movie will not have as huge a budget as some of the prior films.

I hope you're wrong about the budget Faefrost, though it might be the case. However, the next POTC movie budget should not be judged by the bombing of Lone Ranger but by the success of the fourth POTC movie. I Agree on the QAR / BP part and hope they still manage to do it somehow. If the ships don't apear on screen at the same time, it's simple to shoot one ship scenes first, then do the makeover for the second ship scenes. But anyway with all the CGI and stuff they can still be put on screen together.

As for the sets, I really hope there is a next wave and that some of the sets will still be based on the first three movies. I still miss Tia Dalma and Captain Teague minifigs! In that case, they can produce a full wave of 8 - 9 sets instead of just 5 ...

Yes, hopefully we'll get some sets from 1,2,3 with PotC 5. If the main ship for 5 is going to be either the Pearl or QAR then they could make the new line's flagship the Chinese Junk (Hai Peng) from PotC 3 or the Interceptor.

The Interceptor may be problematic. Unlike most of the other ships in the PotC films, the HMS Interceptor is pretty much a real un modified (or very very lightly modified, new paint scheme and name plate) privately owned sailing ship. The Lady Washington owned by the State of Washington. It is a revenue stream for the state, and as such carries its own license. (It also shows up in a lot of other places. Most often on the History or Military channel). It's likely that TLG would need some agreement with the State of Washington to make that one. I believe the Dauntless was pretty much pure sets, models and digital effects. So it would be a good candidate instead.

I would so love a Pirate Chinese Junk however.

Yeah i really hope they "catch up" with the important minifigs from early movies, Pintel, Ragetti in particular.

There are a lot of great characters they didn't make...hopefully in the future. I don't know how much stream the series has left, but I've enjoyed them. Plus, anything for new pirate LEGO.

If the Black Pearl is released from the bottle in the next film, an updated version would be good. Flying Dutchman, Chinese (Hai Peng/Empress) and British Navy (HMS Dauntless/Endeavor/Interceptor/Providence) would all be good ships from the first four films, and most could come with both good, bad and generic minifgs.

Singapore and Shipwreck cover are pretty important locations, but it would be amazing to get Tortuga or Port Royal (although maybe Tortuga is a little too raunchy for a Lego set).

Tia Dalma's Hut and the Island Jack and Elizabeth are marooned on could work as smaller sets.

Excited about this new film too. As long as some familiar faces as well as Jack's appear, I'm sure it will be pretty good.

I am sorry I am new to this thread, so if this question has been asked I am sorry. What are the chances of getting the Flying Dutchman in Lego ? I thought that was an iconic ship. More so than Queen Ann's Revenge anyway. :sceptic:

I am sorry I am new to this thread, so if this question has been asked I am sorry. What are the chances of getting the Flying Dutchman in Lego ? I thought that was an iconic ship. More so than Queen Ann's Revenge anyway. :sceptic:

There were rumors that they had one planned but never produced it. Although my suspicion is most of those rumors were based on the hires sketch models and designs made by the Tt designers for the Lego PotC game. It seems like an obvious choice to make, but there may be underlying design issues with it. We have seen some great MOCs of the ship, but I am not sure how well you could do it with a simpler "set" type build. The Tt guys designed a perfect looking one digitally, but they admit that it would fold up like wet cardboard under real world forces.

Plus I don't think the QAR sold as well as they might have liked? And lets not forget that making the QAR and the Black Pearl are kind of the easy design choices, since at heart they ARE physically the same ship. Just trimmed out differently. (Not kidding about this, it's why we don't actually see the Pearl in the 4th movie. It was redressed as the QAR.)

Except that game sketches don't have a set number, and don't appear on lists of upcoming D2C sets, but I think The Flying Dutchman did.

Except that game sketches don't have a set number, and don't appear on lists of upcoming D2C sets, but I think The Flying Dutchman did.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was such a thing planned. But if so it might have been cancelled before the Black Pearl set was made? The minifig selection for the BP never made a ton of sense. It always seemed some of them would have been more appropriate for the Dutchman, while a number of fairly easy to make BP crew were skipped. I assumed it was so they would not waste new head molds.

Well I do really hope we get the Flying Dutchman eventually, but I do really want more Black Pearl crew. I would love to see Cotton and his Parrot, and I would also love to see Jack the Monkey. Fingers crossed for those. :grin:

Disney just pushed the 5th PotC movie back to 2016 over "Script Problems". (ie "We're terrified of making another Lone Ranger debacle") So we have an extra year to wait for new sets.

Disney just pushed the 5th PotC movie back to 2016 over "Script Problems". (ie "We're terrified of making another Lone Ranger debacle") So we have an extra year to wait for new sets.

Well that sucks. Maybe that means LEGO will have more incentive of hitting us with a quick Classic Pirates theme in the mean time? :classic:

Hmmm? Maybe they can slip something interesting in the gap then. Even if the Disney license prevents them from doing a regular classic Pirates set, something like an exclusive Disney Captain Hook's Jolly Roger would be a treat to fill the time.

I honestly don't care whether we get POTC or Classic Pirates sets. I just want some new pirate stuff. :classic:

Hmmm? Maybe they can slip something interesting in the gap then. Even if the Disney license prevents them from doing a regular classic Pirates set, something like an exclusive Disney Captain Hook's Jolly Roger would be a treat to fill the time.

This didn't stop them releasing classic Pirates sets between World's End and On Stranger Tides. TLG's PotC license is tied-in with the films. If no film is produced, TLG cannot be stopped from releasing classic Pirates sets.

In fact, releasing Captain Hook themed sets is more likely to infringe the PotC licensing agreement, since that IP is held by a different subsidiary of Disney and they are both separate legal entities.

Glad I wasn't the only one to read into that...I haven't seen the Lone Ranger, but heard it wasn't that bad. The media didn't like it though so it was defeated before it started. Likely not done to the true intent.

In any case, I agree with the above in that TLG could produce more PotC sets if they want to keep the line going. I am a bit worried that in 2016 no one will care about PotC by then due to the long layoff in between movies. Do the licenses expire? So maybe TLG won't have the license in 2016? Wonder if TLG could maybe make a set based off of the ride even? Or wonder if they would consider doing something with Captain Hook from Peter Pan instead?