Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

To be honest, I only expect one version of the Black Pearl. We've seen 'affordable scale' and 'UCS scale' versions of the Millenium Falcon, but that makes sense because the 'affordable scale' MF is so out of proportion with all the x-wings and tie-fighters. Also, there are a lot of Star Wars fanatics out there willing to buy some very expensive sets.

An 'affordable scale' Black Pearl is already going to be in scale with the other boats in the series. What would be the point in making a bigger one? Also, POTC fans aren't that fanatical about the franchise.

If anything, I'd like them to make a Diagon Alley-type set based on Port Royal or Tortuga.

The Pearl should be about the same size as the QAR, as far as size and scale go. What I'm hoping for in it is detail, like to the level of the recent IF.

To be honest, I only expect one version of the Black Pearl. We've seen 'affordable scale' and 'UCS scale' versions of the Millenium Falcon, but that makes sense because the 'affordable scale' MF is so out of proportion with all the x-wings and tie-fighters. Also, there are a lot of Star Wars fanatics out there willing to buy some very expensive sets.

An 'affordable scale' Black Pearl is already going to be in scale with the other boats in the series. What would be the point in making a bigger one? Also, POTC fans aren't that fanatical about the franchise.

If anything, I'd like them to make a Diagon Alley-type set based on Port Royal or Tortuga.

Now that would be cool! I'd deffinitly prefer a large Port Royal or Tortuga set as there would be so many more useful pieces for moccing.

I hope thats what they do.

The Pearl should be about the same size as the QAR, as far as size and scale go. What I'm hoping for in it is detail, like to the level of the recent IF.

Well it doesn't really matter weather the Pearl is highly detailed or not, this is Lego we're talking about, so you will always be able to mod it and add whatever details you want. If not, then you can always build your own which is the best way. Either way, a cheap Pearl or Expensive one, it doesn't really matter as you can rebuild it how you want. Just hope it comes with black hull pieces!

If you meant of the boxes I don't think so.

If you meant of the sets

Courtesy of MTV and Deepdive

Someone should sticky that link until we get better pictures... also, did they say that these are the only 8 sets? Or are there more? It is odd that they are releasing them at the same time as the fourth movie and not concentrating on that one movie first...

A few sites I just visited said the Black Pearl is $149.00, so it looks like the Black Pearl might be the larger of the 2 ships.

I have being told along the grapevine that the Black Pearl at least in Australia will be a store exclusive.....but where no one knows. :pir-sceptic:

Trust me, some of us, like me, really are.. I would LOVE a big and detailed version of the Pearl :pir-wub:

AGREED!!! I have loved Pirates of the Caribbean for as long as I can remember. I dated a chick that worked at Disneyland before I joined the Air Force and she took me to an employed only party before they shut down Pirates for the remodel... I went on it 12 times in a row without even getting off of it :-) single most amazing date of my life. I've seen all 3 Pirates movie 3x in theaters and waited for the special edition DVDs to come out before buying them. Pirates is up there for favorite movie franchises for this guy.

I have being told along the grapevine that the Black Pearl at least in Australia will be a store exclusive.....but where no one knows. :pir-sceptic:

ahh! i can't stand store exclusives in australia! most likely target? they get all the exclusives

post-14161-129731536032.jpg

Aren't that fanatical, Ha. This is me.

However hopeful I am to see a blue coat return I think this speculation isn't well founded. They could use the blue coat governor torso which really to me isn't a blue coat at all. They might come up with some other blue coat torso also. But any way you slice it, it is not a reboot of the traditional blue coat "soldier", "sailor", "officer", and "admiral". True it might be ONE additional option, but I do not see it being any more than that. I am somewhat intrigued by the new red coat officer torso. I may get some of those and make all my current "officers" into grunts. I do want blue coats back more than anyone else, but I think I will stick to buying up the old ones.

-martinsuper

I don't know whether to wait and hope the Black Pearl is bigger or just buy the QAR.

Also if the Black Pearl is not in these images then maybe it is an exclusive set?

Love blackbeard with (flaming ?) beard. I also love the idea of having a spinning platform that transforms barbossa. Overall great new sword, mermaid, hair, ect pieces. :jollyroger:

Love blackbeard with (flaming ?) beard.

Aye, Blackbeard is a fantastic minifig.

It is not Blackbeards beard, that is burning. He was some kind of mad and attached burning fuses to his hear or beard.

Btw: I am suprised, that the Queen Anne´s Revenge set does not contain the Jolly Roger, that is attributed to Blackbeard.

Edited by josykay

I don't know whether to wait and hope the Black Pearl is bigger or just buy the QAR.

It is still quite probable that the first pictures of the Black Pearl set will leak to the internet before the release date of QAR and other sets of the first wave in May.

Btw: I am suprised, that the Queen Anne´s Revenge set does not contain the Jolly Roger, that is attributed to Blackbeard.

I think that it is because the films are set after Blackbeards "death". So why would he sail under his well known colors when he had supposedly died a long time ago? It makes perfect sense why he would have changed his Jolly Roger. :thumbup:

Aye, Blackbeard is a fantastic minifig.

It is not Blackbeards beard, that is burning. He was some kind of mad and attached burning fuses to his hear or beard.

Jolly Rodger? I thought Blackbeard's flag was a devil with an hourglass and hearts. It was ment to symbolize that you time is running out and soon the devil will have your soul, or something like that.

Jolly Rodger? I thought Blackbeard's flag was a devil with an hourglass and hearts. It was ment to symbolize that you time is running out and soon the devil will have your soul, or something like that.

It is still a jolly roger, I have every known main captain's flag hanging in my pirate room.

I've been very interested in the Mill, Whitecap bay, London escape and the fountain of youth. Then I did a Little research here on this thread and was pleasantly surprised. Most of the sets have a pretty good price per part compared to other licensed lines. Captain's Cabin and Cannibal Escape are good enough for me to get interested in as parts packs/army builders.

However the fountain of youth is only 95 pieces, 3 minfigs and 20$ (American)

I think I'll be skipping the fountain unless the preliminary price list was way off.

It is still quite probable that the first pictures of the Black Pearl set will leak to the internet before the release date of QAR and other sets of the first wave in May.

Remember, most LEGO 'leaks' simply come from dealer catalogs and other materials that LEGO makes available to retailers. There don't seem to be as many internal leaks from LEGO themselves. I actually suspect that we won't see any images of the Black Pearl until sometime after the first wave is released. My guess is that LEGO doesn't want the Pearl to overshadow the QAR. It's the flagship of the POTC franchise and when all is said and done, it will probably eat into sales of the QAR.

Remember, most LEGO 'leaks' simply come from dealer catalogs and other materials that LEGO makes available to retailers. There don't seem to be as many internal leaks from LEGO themselves.

Good point, didn't think of that. :blush: I have a bad habit of thinking I know things better than I really do. :pir-grin: