Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

It's possible that the Flying Dutchman set release is only going to be postponed until the next movie comes out, when TLG is more likely to market & sell it along with a new bunch of sets.

We were bored and combined the Black Pearl and Queen Anne, has anyone else done this?

Too funny! Try switching the 2 masts so there's a bit more symmetry with the sails.

It's possible that the Flying Dutchman set release is only going to be postponed until the next movie comes out, when TLG is more likely to market & sell it along with a new bunch of sets.

Too funny! Try switching the 2 masts so there's a bit more symmetry with the sails.

Good Idea, going to do it now lol.

Nice mixture of pics there Caughron - Might be worth putting them in the MOC forum where they'll get more attention than on page 170 of this thread!

Just catching up on this thread so a bit late spotting the news about the series not being continued for the time being. Personally I'm not a big fan of the POTC sets mainly due to the pricetag on almost all sets being very overpriced in my opinion. Which if it is indeed true that they haven't been selling well that could be a large factor.

My fear is that if the majority of these sets haven't sold well for whatever reason, TLC might not be so inclined to grace us with another wave of "classic'ish" pirates like the '09 series. "We've done POTC, and that didnt sell well, so no one will buy normal pirates either!" could well be the logic that would appear.

If they were to do another wave at some point of POTC, I'd like them to make the privateer vessel from POTC4 - I think it would be possible for LEGO to make a decent looking "smaller" vessel that therefore wouldn't cost £85 or £100. I'm thinking more around £50-60. Also, it would give us more imperial stuff to play with! Huzzar!

Hi everyone

Well guys, I don't want to be rude, but I think that the POTC sets are not really good, and I can't understand how in the world can someone consider that theme very interesting, if that person knows something about Classic Pirates.

Yesterday I saw a thread with a poll, wich asks what theme we prefer: classic pirates, POTC, or both of them. I thank God the winner option are the Classic Pirates, but nearly 50% people voted for the other options. Can't believe it.

The reasons why POTC are far worse than Classic are evident looking at the sets, if we consider the number of minifigs, pieces contained, variety of sets, etc. Ok, there are some new minifigs, some new pieces, etc. Nothing really important.

However, that's not the main reason I think POTC doesn't rocks at all. The main reason is that these theme is absolutely unplayable, because is unstructured. Let's check it out... what we got? A bunch of sets, representing some scenes from the four movies, most of the sets have nothing to do with the others. There are no complete factions, only three or four british soldiers, three or four indians, etc. No bases, no armies, etc.

What makes a theme playable? A logical structure: Different factions, with their own "armies", boats and bases. Like Classic Pirates have. We know other examples: Castle, Star Wars, etc.

POTC are a bunch of isolated sets, "look-at-me-but-don't-play-with-me", with a lack of possibilities to create new adventures (except making the movie scenes).

Excuse my ortography, english is not my native language.

Thanks everyone.

A point very well made Captain Fortune. You hit the nail on the head. I personally dislike the price of the PoTC sets, and I also felt that there was something else missing, and that's it. Play-ability. They are indeed very restricted.

I bought the Fountain of Youth a while ago, simply because I wanted Barbossa's uniform, and Blackbeard. The fountain itself really didnt appeal to me - other than keeping that and the plastic waterfall for display purposes, there wasn't really a huge amount of things I could do with it really. As people have pointed out, there aren't really factions as such. More individuals I would say. Yeah there's A couple of Blackbeard's crew, a couple of Soldiers, a few of Davy Jones' lot and the odd one from the Pearl, but I wouldnt really class them as factions.

The British should have appeared a lot more. Two token soldiers and a privateer Barbossa don't really cut it for me. The British appeared in all four films in one way or another. Surely they could have taken a few Jack Sparrows out of the sets and replaced them with a soldier, sailor, Norrington, the governor, Lord whatshisface or any number of British characters, as appropriate.

The POTC game is so beautiful, with many characters, clear factions and wonderful locations - I don't see quite why the first wave of PotC had to be so limited - I know that licensed sets are always a tad more expensive, but the amount that your getting for your money seems quite small.

I do like the concept of PotC as LEGO, love the films and if they made more sets which I felt were better value for money, I'd most certainly buy them - but otherwise I'd like Classic-Pirates back.

Little rant over :)

A point very well made Captain Fortune. You hit the nail on the head. I personally dislike the price of the PoTC sets, and I also felt that there was something else missing, and that's it. Play-ability. They are indeed very restricted.

I bought the Fountain of Youth a while ago, simply because I wanted Barbossa's uniform, and Blackbeard. The fountain itself really didnt appeal to me - other than keeping that and the plastic waterfall for display purposes, there wasn't really a huge amount of things I could do with it really. As people have pointed out, there aren't really factions as such. More individuals I would say. Yeah there's A couple of Blackbeard's crew, a couple of Soldiers, a few of Davy Jones' lot and the odd one from the Pearl, but I wouldnt really class them as factions.

The British should have appeared a lot more. Two token soldiers and a privateer Barbossa don't really cut it for me. The British appeared in all four films in one way or another. Surely they could have taken a few Jack Sparrows out of the sets and replaced them with a soldier, sailor, Norrington, the governor, Lord whatshisface or any number of British characters, as appropriate.

The POTC game is so beautiful, with many characters, clear factions and wonderful locations - I don't see quite why the first wave of PotC had to be so limited - I know that licensed sets are always a tad more expensive, but the amount that your getting for your money seems quite small.

I do like the concept of PotC as LEGO, love the films and if they made more sets which I felt were better value for money, I'd most certainly buy them - but otherwise I'd like Classic-Pirates back.

I hope we will see the blue printed officers we saw in the video game. I really liked the printing (Governour Swann for example).

You want EITC (East India Trading Company) 'Figs?

This torso (Flesh hands, of course), This piece in red, white legs, generic Flesh head, and This hat. Finish with a musket.

Edited by LEGOman273

Thanks a lot, Duck, cause I see i'm not alone in this. :pir-laugh:

And look at this: Honestly, I have always prefered original than licensed sets. And I know that's not a valid reason, but a personal feeling. That's why I didn't mention that at all.

So, despite I don't like very much the licensed themes, look at Star Wars theme, what an amazing licensed theme: lots of sets, lots of minifigs, well-defined factions... the playability have no limit there!

What gets me "angry" with POTC sets are the intentions from Lego in this case: limited and unstructured sets, with some important deficiences (wich didn't were in older sets of lego, I can explain that if you want) in order to sell it as much as possible, taking advantatge of the recent movies.

Thanks ofr your opinion Duck. :pir-sweet:

Edited by Captain Fortune

After some time I have to post here again. Captain Fortune I appreciate your opinion, but there is really no need for posting two same posts in different themes. If you don't like the theme you don't and I think there's been a lot said from people disliking it and not as much from us who like it. (Yeah probably there is more of you anyway ...) Of course I must not agree with you at all. I personally loved the movies and the POTC theme and think LEGO did a very good job in capturing the scenes in sets as well as the figures. Apart from the fountain which we all know was designed based on the artwork for the movies and not of the real model!

Economy forces LEGO to do things differently so they need small and big sets, for everyone to be satisfied. And I think that TLG did more than a decent job in sizing the sets and character distribution if we skip the "Jack in every set" problem. But hey, you had a guy with the red bandanna in almost every classic set and no one complains! Don't get me wrong I really like the classic pirates theme too - all the nice ships and the fortresses, but there's something missing - the civil part and the more realistic colors!

You must keep in mind that not all sets are designed for seven years old children with no imagination to play with. There are some people who can imagine Jack as someone else not from the movies and play different scenarios. Maybe switch a head and a hat or two and get a completely different character. That's what you had to do with clasic pirates if you didn't want to have all twins or even more same people and that is also what LEGO is designed for! Also in classics you have the pirates and the blue coats (later red coats) which mainly makes three fractions. That's how the sets are designed and of course you can play it differently, but POTC story alone makes you play it more like pirates versus pirates and have a lot more different fractions, which of course leads to a problem of only a few figs for each team. But bare in mind that the classic pirates have multiple waves and if POTC had two or three more, there would be a lot more different and cool characters for even more fractions! And of course the red coats are completely compatible with the English soldiers (I guess with a reason) so switch some heads and here you go, the whole London scene can come to life ... But there's even more to that, some people (I think the majority on this forums, since the age restriction is quite high) don't even play with LEGO in the way of using playability of sets. They play by enjoying in building MOCs and dioramas for displaying and from that angle I think POTC is a lot better then classics - more realistic and less cartoony plus more detailed.

Of course there's always a spot where we all agree, and that's the price. Yes licensed sets are a bit pricey, but in the end who wouldn't like some cheap or free stuff. That's why you wait a bit and go for sales. Now I think it's about the right time to get them, because later they'll get pricier and pricier and you might regret not buying them some day. But that's the economy today, where every one want's to get a share with the least work done. But hey even bread is more expensive every day ...

And what I really get annoyed by is the classic lovers complaining about the POTC being the reason of not getting any classic sets, when no one has the slightest idea what's going on in the LEGO heads?! It's only good business they are concerned about and this is the way they chose to go. Maybe if it wasn't for the POTC theme, there would be no pirates at all and I think all pirate fans (even pure classic lovers) agree that it's still better to have some pirates (even POTC) than none. At least you get some different colored parts and some nice accessories ...

After some time I have to post here again. Captain Fortune I appreciate your opinion, but there is really no need for posting two same posts in different themes. If you don't like the theme you don't and I think there's been a lot said from people disliking it and not as much from us who like it. (Yeah probably there is more of you anyway ...) Of course I must not agree with you at all. I personally loved the movies and the POTC theme and think LEGO did a very good job in capturing the scenes in sets as well as the figures. Apart from the fountain which we all know was designed based on the artwork for the movies and not of the real model!

Economy forces LEGO to do things differently so they need small and big sets, for everyone to be satisfied. And I think that TLG did more than a decent job in sizing the sets and character distribution if we skip the "Jack in every set" problem. But hey, you had a guy with the red bandanna in almost every classic set and no one complains! Don't get me wrong I really like the classic pirates theme too - all the nice ships and the fortresses, but there's something missing - the civil part and the more realistic colors!

You must keep in mind that not all sets are designed for seven years old children with no imagination to play with. There are some people who can imagine Jack as someone else not from the movies and play different scenarios. Maybe switch a head and a hat or two and get a completely different character. That's what you had to do with clasic pirates if you didn't want to have all twins or even more same people and that is also what LEGO is designed for! Also in classics you have the pirates and the blue coats (later red coats) which mainly makes three fractions. That's how the sets are designed and of course you can play it differently, but POTC story alone makes you play it more like pirates versus pirates and have a lot more different fractions, which of course leads to a problem of only a few figs for each team. But bare in mind that the classic pirates have multiple waves and if POTC had two or three more, there would be a lot more different and cool characters for even more fractions! And of course the red coats are completely compatible with the English soldiers (I guess with a reason) so switch some heads and here you go, the whole London scene can come to life ... But there's even more to that, some people (I think the majority on this forums, since the age restriction is quite high) don't even play with LEGO in the way of using playability of sets. They play by enjoying in building MOCs and dioramas for displaying and from that angle I think POTC is a lot better then classics - more realistic and less cartoony plus more detailed.

Of course there's always a spot where we all agree, and that's the price. Yes licensed sets are a bit pricey, but in the end who wouldn't like some cheap or free stuff. That's why you wait a bit and go for sales. Now I think it's about the right time to get them, because later they'll get pricier and pricier and you might regret not buying them some day. But that's the economy today, where every one want's to get a share with the least work done. But hey even bread is more expensive every day ...

And what I really get annoyed by is the classic lovers complaining about the POTC being the reason of not getting any classic sets, when no one has the slightest idea what's going on in the LEGO heads?! It's only good business they are concerned about and this is the way they chose to go. Maybe if it wasn't for the POTC theme, there would be no pirates at all and I think all pirate fans (even pure classic lovers) agree that it's still better to have some pirates (even POTC) than none. At least you get some different colored parts and some nice accessories ...

Very Well Put.

I agree that there were too many Jack's in the bunch, and that they are a little pricey. But I buy Legos for the fun of putting them together, after that they goto my Kid to play with or they sit on a shelf for looks. I don't get enjoyment of "playing" with them, therefore the playibility factor to me is out the window. I care about looks, detail, and quality. I think on the POTC sets for the Most part brought that to the table. There is no need to bash or :pir_bawling: about the POTC Lego sets, its too easy.... If you don't like them then don't buy them. As far as when I was younger I loved the classic pirate sets, as for today not so much. I think they lack in the realistic department. But hey that's my opinion as well as you all have yours so just enjoy what we get out of our Lego Sets and Have Fun! That's what it is all about!

Personally I preffer the PotC theme than the last classic pirate theme they released in 2009.. also, I'd agree that for starters in the pirate stuff, beginning with PotC sets are kind of harder than beginning with classic pirates (The old school and only ones in my opinion from '89 to '96).. but for other people with an actual collection, seems like a new adventure, combining their ships with those new ones, or just setting them to fight between each other, its a nice addition, not to say, its always welcome to have new pirates coming out, no matter the theme (well.. almost), and that's something I suppose everybody agrees with :P else there would not be 171 pages in this thread arguing for a new release of the theme

Edited by Yawgmoth

The main reason is that these theme is absolutely unplayable, because is unstructured.

Any theme is playable. All you need is physical bricks, and an imagination. :pir-grin:

I posted two posts because i didn't know what thread was more active. There's no need to get upset about that, don't read the other one, and that's all.

The economy, the current times... we can find lots of causes wich have motivated how Lego POTC are. Ok, I'll tell you why you're wrong: Classic Pirates (CP) 2009-2010. Neither the economy nor everyone's satisfaction couldn't avoid a fantastic "restyling" of the 90' Pirates. But that doesn't stop here: let's check other current themes, like Star Wars, Lego City, Lego Castle, etc: so much better, so much complete.

About the lacks of Classic Pirates, I think you just said an unbeliavable reason: You must not talk about CP without keeping in mind the context and the time they appeared. I'm affraid you don't remember that CP were the FIRST Lego theme wich included new faces, for instance. On the other hand, even you were right with your critics, you can't apply them at CP 2009.

The playability is not as simple as you say, like changing hats and faces, give another use to the scenes, buildings, and that kind of stuff. I think I've talked about deeper concepts, and you are ignoring them. I said that there is a huge lack of minifigs anb bases, and absolutely incomplete factions, wich means that if you wanna have, for instance, a decent English faction you must buy two or three expensive sets, and even in that case you won't have a ship (cause it doesn't exist), you won't have enough logistic material like cannons, weapons, etc. I explained also that the sets are isolated, and have no connection among them.

And i'll tell you more: not only the whole theme is unplayable, the sets themselves either. You talked about the repetition of personages (Jack Sparrow), that's right. But except the ships, the sets including fixed structures are not complete, because they aren't buildings, platforms, bases, etc. They are only parts of a bigger structure appeared in the POtc movies. They have no depth, they are facades, sceneries like movie makers use.

About the price, I agree with you.

Finally, you said you get annoyed by seeing us talking about the Lego intentions. It seems you do the same, when you think the majority of people here doesn't mind the playability, but only the construction. It's obvius here we are all AFOLs and don't play, but the playability is much more than talk and move minifigs as childs do.

And is not only about the playability, there are other reasons why POTC didn't cut it.

Edited by Captain Fortune

Ok, one more, but I did not mean to argue, ok? So don't get to harsh ...

No hard feelings about double posts, it's moderators concern anyway, but the most recent theme becomes the one you post in :D

I am well aware of what the classic pirates are, since they were one of my first sets from the childhood. I just am not that kind of person who thinks new things are worse and that changing some directions is always bad, so I like the way they went with this theme. I'm more of a realistic person, so I prefer realistic colors and more detailed figures.

You say that city sets and star wars are more complete? In what way? We all know everyone complains about the lack of hospitals and some decent airports without the planes made out of three big pieces! And is police trains and fire fighters really all there is in a city? Where are the restaurants, racing sets, posts, shops, ordinary buildings (you have the modulars, but don't complain on the sets being expensive then ...). I also collect the SW sets and I think they are far from complete. With the speed they're producing the CW series, they'll never catch up with all the main characters, and where are all the ordinary civilians and all different races. Not to mention the character being put into sets with no connectivity ... And about the playability, well yes, every spaceship is swooshable, but that's about it. Oh wait, I forgot, the flick fire missiles :S

The playability is not as simple as I say? I found my version quite more complicated then yours, where you're expecting the playability within a set. When I was a child I didn't have computer until very late high school so I spent all my childhood with LEGO. Luckily I had quite a few and therefor I never wished sets to gain "playability" from them, but to gain new characters, pieces in new colors and to gain more and more bricks. I then built stuff and played as of "talk and walk". But you're keep on saying there's more, what more is there?

I can simply see a POTC cannibal working on a ship as a slave or just a man whose life pirates saved and now travels with them. But I really see some people having problems with POTC theme for sticking it strictly to the movies. They don't go together just if the movies story is the only scenario you have in mind, otherwise they are completely compatible, even more than classics. If you combine them you can create something that looks as a whole. Combine classics, what do you get? Yellow and white with too much of black, definitely not my choice for pirates.

Again don't get me wrong, I loved the classic pirates, but I think their time is slowly over since they're a bit outdated. Look at the forums, when was the last time someone posted a pirate MOC without using any brown colored pieces? Some things are just better the new way and even if LEGO produces another wave of classic pirates (they'll never be classic) they'll be more like 2009 sets with more realistic colors and people will complain again. Also their compatibility with the real CP will be very low apart from the figs being yellow!

Also, you don't need to buy 5 London escape sets to gain English army, buy some redcoats which are in cheap mini sets and if you don't mix fleshies with yellow, some Prince of Persia sets and make a whole army (with different faces!). Get the battle packs and sell the figs you don't need (but don't try to make a fortune of it). I also used to think LEGO was expensive (well it is) but sometimes you must not rush, wait for sales, search ebay and go to bricklink and life is so much nicer :D

I don't get annoyed by people talking about LEGO intentions but by people talking trash about the theme they don't like and making suggestions what would have been better if the theme didn't exist in the first place. But this scenario is impossible. And this has nothing to do with my opinion about forum users being more of the builders which is based on the fact that there's not a lot of people complaining about the playability ... however I do find it interesting how every reviewer mentions it, but I think it's intended for the younger spectators of the forum. After all LEGO is a toy!

Edited by MstrOfPppts

Ok, I think that we won't get in agreement about that subject. You give me some reasons, that I find logical, that's true and I respect it. But is also true that you are always ignoring my observations and remarks, reducing it at "the new is worse than the old" kwoning I said much more and never said that, so we are going to no where.

As you, I don't wanna argue either, so that's it.

Both opinions are clear I think, despite my english. :shark:

Have a nice day.

Though I have expressed my dislike of the price and also feel that there is indeed a limit to playability of many of the sets, I also do agree that any pirates are better than no pirates!

Everyone is completely entitled to their own opinion, and if people really do enjoy PotC sets then thats brilliant and I really hope they continue to enjoy them!

If people dont like them, they will vote with their feet, so to speak. I just hope that if they do so, it wont lead to LEGO dropping pirates all together as that would be disasterous!

Though I have expressed my dislike of the price and also feel that there is indeed a limit to playability of many of the sets, I also do agree that any pirates are better than no pirates!

You're right, probably POTC are better than no Pirates, but it's also true that Classic Pirates are Better than POTC. :pir-tongue:

That's exactly I've been explaining. :jollyroger:

Has anybody heard any sort of news on a possible Flying Dutchman set? I have heard all sorts of things but, nothing concrete. I have also heard that Disney is planning another Pirates release in 2013 so, if that is true do you think we might see it then or do you think that Lego is keeping it under wraps until it is released later this year? :pir-classic:

Has anybody heard any sort of news on a possible Flying Dutchman set? I have heard all sorts of things but, nothing concrete. I have also heard that Disney is planning another Pirates release in 2013 so, if that is true do you think we might see it then or do you think that Lego is keeping it under wraps until it is released later this year? :pir-classic:

There are a few flying dutchman projects on Cuusoo (yes, two of them are mine)

Maybe if they get enough supporters LEGO will realize there IS a market for the Flying Dutchman :pir-classic:

In that list is the Death Star, which I know for a fact is being released in Oz later in the year. :pir-grin:

So does POTC have one last surprise, we shall see ? :pir-wink:

So does POTC have one last surprise, we shall see ? :pir-wink:

I don't think so, otherwise we would've seen photos of this set already.

Maybe it was indeed true at one point that they would release a Flying Dutchman set, but then later changed their minds for one reason or the other.