Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

I think I'll have to say that I'm a little bit skeptical of this. PotC finished its trilogy years ago and I'd think that Lego would want to have sets out when the movie could boost sales. Right now that just wouldn't be the case. That's a cool Jack Sparrow minifig though to be sure.

There's a fourth one out in May '11. That's about right for the launch of these.

I think what Cpt. Dan meant was not the end of our beloved website, but rather the end of classic Pirate sets

I made a typo!

I meant to write "classic pirates" but I've become so used to writing Classic-Pirates.com I wrote that instead. So yes, I did indeed intrepret Cpt. Dan's as intended and my response is still along the lines of "eventually a Pirates of the Caribbean theme will come to an end and the LEGO Group will return to classic pirate sets"

:pir-grin:

If this is an new theme, I think I can see the waterwheel in our near future. :pir-cry_happy: Jack looks amazing.

I, personally, can not wait to see Mr. Davy Jones. How will they do his crab arm?.

They'll probably do a new arm mold just for him. It's happened before, and it can happen again.

Yay my wishes came true! Hopefully. The hat looks a bit big but that torso! :pir-wub: I really hope it is true.

Thank you very much for this information, Oswald the Rabbit! :pir-classic:

No, not again another licensed theme!!! :thumbdown:

Is TLG going "license-crazy"?! :pir_wacko:

Isn't TLG's slogan "Just imagine"?!

Some licenses are ok. But when it comes to the point when the licensed themes are nearly as numerous as the unlicensed themes, this is bad.

Kids should use their imagination when playing with Lego - and not only replay scenes from movies.

The Pirates theme from 2009 was such a nice theme!

Why didn't TLG elaborate it or come back with a Pirates theme similar to it?!

Plus there are a lot of other historical themes which haven't been done before (Romans, Egypts) or which have been released already a long, long while ago (Western, Adventures). Why not releasing some of these themes?!

Klaus-Dieter

Interesting. The figure looks like a mock-up custom to just serve the purpose of being a teaser, but I do think that there is a large possibility of PotC becoming a licensed theme. The Jack figure is kind of how I imagined it would look, just with a less-detailed hairpiece. I was hoping for something more along the lines of the elf hairpiece that we saw in the teaser for the Elf faction in Fantasy castle:

lego-elf-drawing.jpg

Do you think we'll get a new, smaller compass piece? Or will it just be a printed 1x1 tile? How about new, more accurate guns? :sweet:

I hope not. I like it when Lego stays simple, and I think having the current guns is perfect. No complicated detailing or multi-colored pieces.pirate_thumbup.gif

As ambassador of Classic-Pirates.com I'm very happy seeing this little Jack Sparrow minifig :pir-sweet:

After I saw this minifig this morning I've been dreaming about the new parts, sets and figs all day. These movies contain so much locations, ships, ... so they'll serve as an excellent source of inspiration for the LEGO designers. Maybe a license was what Pirates needed to get some fresh idea's and parts for our beloved theme. I for one don't care about the PoTC movies, they are not my cup of tea, however I feel the same about Prince of Persia (the game and movie) and yet I love the PoP LEGO sets and the awesome parts that came along with them.

Seeing these PoTC rumors I'm happy we as a community provided LEGO our input on Pirate part requests and the Classic-Pirates.com Report for The Future of LEGO Pirates. Let's hope the designers work on the new sets with our feedback in their minds!

What an exiting day this is for us Pirate fans!

So yes, I did indeed intrepret Cpt. Dan's as intended and my response is still along the lines of "eventually a Pirates of the Caribbean theme will come to an end and the LEGO Group will return to classic pirate sets"

Yes, I understand. However, it's really hard to tell how much time it will take between discontinuing POTC and releasing new non-licensed Pirates. Somehow I doubt that the LEGO Group will do it immediately after POTC theme ends - they might be afraid some customers might get confused. I think there will have to be a break between POTC and classic-like pirates, that is if they return to non-licensed pirates at all. But as I stated earlier, it's too early to speculate, as we don't even have POTC sets yet. :pir-classic:

Edited by Dreamweb

PotC finished its trilogy years ago and I'd think that Lego would want to have sets out when the movie could boost sales.

Well, actually, they are preparing a fourth film..... "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides", so yes, there is a reason for LEGO to release a Pirates of the Caribbean theme..... :D That said, I'll try to envision the sets. I think there'll probably be sets from all three films (and even the fourth one, perhaps, who knows - Prince of Persia LEGO sets were released before the movies' official release date!), like Indiana Jones, I think this will probably have more than one wave. Anyways..... here are some ideas

/sits down on pillow cross-legged between scented candles and closes eyes

Tia Dalma's Hut - $19.99 - Tia Dalma, Jack, Pintel, Ragetti, Will, Elizabeth, Gibbs and monkey minifigs

Duel at the Bell Tower - $24.99 - Jack, Norrington and Will minifigs

The Black Pearl - $89.99 - Jack, Will, Elizabeth, Pintel, Ragetti, Barbossa, Gibbs, monkey and Bootstrap Bill minifigs

(By the way, I'm hoping for a new monkey mold! The current one would be too big :P)

Edited by Raphy

Interesting find ! :oh3:

Now what next eh ?

TRON ?

I guess we will have to wait and see eh ?

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

from your lips to TLG's ears. While the fig looks good, and PoTC would sell well, that ship has sailed (pun intended). I'd personally have preferred TLG continue making their own line of Pirates...there's more freedom for the designers.

Tron is the next big movie from Disney, and I think it packs more potential than, say, Speed Racer. Tron figs, if done well with glow in the dark circuit patterns, and an assortment of vehicles from the old and new movies, esp the light cycles, would all sell well I think. I was hoping a Tron fig would be revealed. Jack's cool, Tron would have been better.

I hope not. I like it when Lego stays simple, and I think having the current guns is perfect. No complicated detailing or multi-colored pieces.pirate_thumbup.gif

Yeah, you're probably right. But maybe we'll at least get the guns in some nice metallic color! :pir-sweet:

Do you think Jack has a double sided face? If so, what will the other side be; a serious face or a funny scared face? It would seem plausible since most of his head is covered and he can't even normally turn it.

I fear that Davy Jones will not be made- he is not in 4th pirates i believe... but we'll pretty definitely get Barbossa, Gibbs and Blackbeard... and Penelope Cruz in lego :pir_laugh2: But i hope they'll release sets from all movies and i really want to see Davy Jones with rubbery face and removable scissor hand and crab leg :pir-classic: but i afraid there is no way to make skeletonpirates from COTBP....

I'm hoping POTC will get the Toy Story treatment -- a bunch of sets based on the earlier films in January, and then sets based on the new movie around April or May. If the Toy Story line gets cut back or discontinued next year (along with POP), then I definitely expect POTC to be filling the void.

cons:

- license premium: likely more expensive than comparable Pirate sets

I think this remains to be seen. The Prince of Persia sets were very aggressively priced, while the Toy Story sets were not. But with the exception of the Target exclusive Pizza Delivery Truck, I don't think any of the Disney licensed sets have had as much of a markup as we see on the Star Wars sets.

Yes, I understand. However, it's really hard to tell how much time it will take between discontinuing POTC and releasing new non-licensed Pirates.

That's why I revised my statement to say "eventually" rather than "a few years" :pir-classic:

oh, we will see. Some more pics of the comic con hopefully, that's what I am more interested now. Or was it just a teaser TLC is going to give us here.

(Doesn't this go to licenced themes actually?)

Thank you very much for this information, Oswald the Rabbit! :pir-classic:

No, not again another licensed theme!!! :thumbdown:

Is TLG going "license-crazy"?! :pir_wacko:

Isn't TLG's slogan "Just imagine"?!

Some licenses are ok. But when it comes to the point when the licensed themes are nearly as numerous as the unlicensed themes, this is bad.

Kids should use their imagination when playing with Lego - and not only replay scenes from movies.

The Pirates theme from 2009 was such a nice theme!

Why didn't TLG elaborate it or come back with a Pirates theme similar to it?!

Plus there are a lot of other historical themes which haven't been done before (Romans, Egypts) or which have been released already a long, long while ago (Western, Adventures). Why not releasing some of these themes?!

Klaus-Dieter

I agree, however money rules and I suspect a POTC license will bring in a lot of money. I will not be buying one POTC set, but I get the feeling I'll be in the minority there.

Yeah, you're probably right. But maybe we'll at least get the guns in some nice metallic color! :pir-sweet:

Do you think Jack has a double sided face? If so, what will the other side be; a serious face or a funny scared face? It would seem plausible since most of his head is covered and he can't even normally turn it.

Unfortunately, Johnny Depp uses his eyes for a huge percentage of Captain Jack's most memorable expressions - squinty interrogative looks, creepy expressionless wide-eyed looks, deep puppy-dog stares... none of these can be captured by Lego's simple black dots. If his head is double-printed, it'll probably just be the usual determined frown look. That said, Prince Dastan only ever had one facial expression, and he's one of the few licensed male characters with the hair to hide a double print.

Well I'm all for it. Not necessarily because I love the POTC franchise (I only like Black Pearl, I think the rest are rubbish), but because like most licensed themes this could give me a variety of fleshie figgs, parts, colours, accessories that will be perfect for my creations!

That is assuming this is a full theme though.

Batbrick Away! :pir-devil:

Wow. That was quick. Earlier today, I saw it only was up to page 2. :pir-laugh:

I really like the Capt. Jack Sparrow minifigure. Mostly because of it's hair/hat. Can't wait til' the sets come out. :pir-cry_happy:

Now what next eh ?

TRON ?

I guess we will have to wait and see eh ?

Oh, pretty please, Lego? Tron? [maybe a Daft Punk guy or two for good measure?]

Guys, forget about TRON! Not only is this the wrong place to discuss this, but also the movie comes out in a couple of months and we don't have any sign of there being any sets for it. We would have heard or seen something by now.

So… is there only a picture of the minifig so far? If so then I'm skeptical (but hopeful).

(I just skimmed through the topic so I might have missed something.)