Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

Huh, the thought that the leaked zombie/ghost shark could appear in the POTC D2C set never even crossed my mind, but now it seems quite obvious (hindsight bias in action :grin:). I wonder if this is supposed to be Salazar's pet/ enforcer, just like Davy Jones' Kraken :laugh: 

Edited by Lego-Freak

Finally some news on the new POTC set!!!

I was hoping for a "UCS" Flying Dutchman given the cost, but I'll settle for the Silent Mary (already have BP and QAR)

Day 1 purchase for me. It will be nice just to have another decent sized Pirates set tbh. 

Super excited for this set! (Also glad I've been seriously saving VIP points! :laugh:) I'll be really happy if it is the ghost ship it seems to be, as that's a kind of ship I've always wanted to see LEGO make.

Edited by Legomaster34

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 1:34 PM, Jacob Nion said:

You will find a pic of that ghost shark. Can't manage to link it here with my phone and I'm sure I'm not allowed to insert a screenshot here.

Its already been posted on here. :pir-wink: [s/] :blush: 

[-snip-]

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 1:56 PM, Captain Pirate Man said:

It also makes sense that Lego would bring back that shark mold, it was a very UNDER utilized piece.

I agree that this type of mold is under utilized.  This zombie version of the mold is not appealing.  As others have already said, I like the original much better. :pir-look: 

On 1/25/2017 at 1:56 PM, Captain Pirate Man said:

It also makes sense that Lego would bring back that shark mold, it was a very UNDER utilized piece.

Gods, yes. The prices for them on BrickLink are a testament to that.

On 1/24/2017 at 7:54 PM, GoldenNinja3000 said:

I'm super excited for this set!! I have both the Queen Anne's Revenge and the Black Pearl. I rebuilt both into a custom Flying Dutchman, but everything is destroyed now. I'll definitely be picking this one up no matter what it's like, because I always love Lego ships and it looks to have more than 5 figures, which I feel a lot of big sets have been limited to lately. I really can't wait and I'm excited that it's being released in March/April because I expected it to be May/June. However, looks like I may be pushing back the Disney Castle to get this. Do you guys think that we'll see official images before March? 

I'd be a little surprised if they didn't show her at Nuremberg next week.

I find the huge shark mold, either version, a waste. I liked the smaller version because with a change of heads, or just some stickers, it could be a different species. This design could not realistically be anything other than a great white, and I don't find that to be very useful. An undead great white is even less useful.

1 hour ago, K_Tiger said:

Gods, yes. The prices for them on BrickLink are a testament to that.

I'd be a little surprised if they didn't show her at Nuremberg next week.

Do they show d2c sets at these events primarily focused at retailers?

1 hour ago, deskp said:

Do they show d2c sets at these events primarily focused at retailers?

Couldn't say. It's supposed to be available to VIP members or whomever in March, they ought to get to showing it.

2 hours ago, gedren_y said:

I find the huge shark mold, either version, a waste. I liked the smaller version because with a change of heads, or just some stickers, it could be a different species. This design could not realistically be anything other than a great white, and I don't find that to be very useful. An undead great white is even less useful.

Usefulness, much like beauty, is subjective. I'd probably feel less animosity for the regular shark if they'd pull out the sawfish head more often, or go on and make a hammerhead for it.

Hell, just sell the damn big shark through B&P.

I hope that it is seen at the toy fair, but I kind of doubt it. And I love that shark! The mold is amazing and I really like the printing and color. I have one of the original great whites and it's definitely the best shark Lego has ever made. I hope that it's in the set, as I can't really think of anywhere else it'd crop up. 

Toyfair! Totally forgot about that.  They better bring it there so I can stop injuring my eyes by looking at that damn blurry pic every day. 

@Phred @gedren_y where's your imagination? It could be a rotten corpse of a shark ran ashore. Or use it for a scene of fishermen cutting up their haul. 

@GoldenNinja3000 perhaps a set about the movie zombie shark?

Edited by Jacob Nion

The shark is mostly an annoyance at how legos spends this sets budget.

new molds are expensive, imagine the minifigures this set wont have that we would have liked that could be made instead.

Or maybe a new mold that would have been useful for all kinds of ship builds/mocs.

_____

Spoiler

Also there will be a minimate of CURSED Will turner, so i guess him and the dutchman has fallen back into being all fish-like.

Heres  look at the minimates giving us a very general idea of the lego figures if we let our minds wander for a moment.

The blacked out figures are, cursed Will, young Jack, alive-captain Salazar

DMC12775.jpg

DMC12781.jpg

DMC12782.jpg

Edited by deskp

Glad to see we finally getting some concrete news.By the looks of it my guess is that the ship is the Silent Mary,since it looks like a ghost ship.And I have no problem with that since that is what I was hoping for.

Now since it's coming out on March,does anyone know when the official pics will drop?? I usually don't follow D2C set news so I can't make an educated guess about it.

I'm probably the only one here who likes the zombie shark but I have to agree that this shark mould is under used,which is a pity truth be told.

Edited by LOTR34

1 hour ago, LOTR34 said:

Glad to see we finally getting some concrete news.By the looks of it my guess is that the ship is the Silent Mary,since it looks like a ghost ship.And I have no problem with that since that is what I was hoping for.

Now since it's coming out on March,does anyone know when the official pics will drop?? I usually don't follow D2C set news so I can't make an educated guess about it.

I'm probably the only one here who likes the zombie shark but I have to agree that this shark mould is under used,which is a pity truth be told.

From what I've seen recently, pics of D2C sets are only released a few weeks before the set itself.  If the set is out late March then I guess we'll get pics late February unless there's a full leak,

And I think the ghost/zombie shark is cool.

1 hour ago, LOTR34 said:

I think it's great, and refreshingly grisly for LEGO, and I'll always support the trotting out of the big shark.

My eyes are already bleeding by staring that blurry pic too much but I think I can see atleast two sharks.I hope that's the case since this a pricey set.

I think pics will be released around mid February- the Disney Castle's press release was something like July 10th and the set released early to VIPs on like August 17th. 

Part of me does think that it could possibly be Will's Flying Dutchman.  After all it is a set that a lot of POTC fans wanted and I should imagine it's in the new movie as well. 

10 minutes ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

I think pics will be released around mid February- the Disney Castle's press release was something like July 10th and the set released early to VIPs on like August 17th. 

I hope that's the case.

8 hours ago, LOTR34 said:

My eyes are already bleeding by staring that blurry pic too much but I think I can see atleast two shark.

Where do you see the second shark?

Just now, azog said:

Where do you see the second shark?

I could be wrong of course but I think I can spot two them infront of the ship but it could be a boat or something like that.We'll just have to wait untill the official pictures drop.

Please ignore my horrible Photoshop skills!!! I got tired of looking at the blurry picture as well, and thought that I would try to Photoshop what I see! I've never made a post on here, and have been following for quite a while, if this isn't allowed I will delete this! 

*THIS IS JUST WHAT I THINK I SEE, NOTHING OFFICIAL! 

Spoiler

Untitled-1.jpg

27 minutes ago, Ozark said:

Please ignore my horrible Photoshop skills!!! I got tired of looking at the blurry picture as well, and thought that I would try to Photoshop what I see! I've never made a post on here, and have been following for quite a while, if this isn't allowed I will delete this! 

*THIS IS JUST WHAT I THINK I SEE, NOTHING OFFICIAL! 

Hide contents

I like what you did there Ozark.  Since the original blurred photo has been posted, I assumed the ship was broken in half somehow.  But looking at your rendering, it seems the ship might just be listing to the side and thus making it appear to be 'bent' in half.  

Edited by wooster

That's great editing, but I doubt the minifigures would be that big on the front of the box. I think there will be around twice that many due to the size of the figure box, but I don't want to get my hopes up considering how few figures a lot of expensive sets have nowadays. 

Before anyone shoots down my response just know this is a theory. It just came to my head and it all makes since. What happens if we are all wrong and this is not silent mary or the Flying Dutchman, but instead the Wicked Wench (the Black Pearl). When you look at the blurry photo you kinda see brown as the main color of the ship. When you look at the silent mary and flying Dutchman sets they look at tad bit more grey. Another reason is the fact that the back sail is a triangle sail similar to the black pearl. A theory that backs this up is that the pearl appears in a ton of backstorys in the movie. Just something to think about.