Sign in to follow this  
Zeya

Is this Pirates book new?

I was browsing around Barnes & Noble's website (they're a book store in the USA), and stumbled across this book called "Brickbeard's Treasure":

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Lego-Pirates/Hannah-Dolan/e/9780756677077/?itm=4&USRI=lego+pirates

89301770.JPG

Overview - Lego Pirates

Product Details

Pub. Date: February 2011

Publisher: DK Publishing, Inc.

Format: Hardcover , 48pp

Sales Rank: 415,820

Age Range: 6 to 8

Series: DK READERS Series

ISBN-13: 9780756677077

ISBN: 0756677076

It says February 2011, so it must be new! I know there's that other thread trying to catalogue all known Pirates theme characters, so I thought this would be of interest.

good find Zeya!

I guess well have to keep an ear out to see what it's all about.

will it be a comic or story book? and will the pictures be stylised lego drawings or just cartoon versions like the old "Golden Medalion".

I'm really wondering why they're printing this long after all Pirates sets are off the shelves. It's not like the book is going to sell Lego sets. You'd think they would make a Pharaoh's Quest book or Atlantis.

Who knows, it may contain a Classic pirate/POTC crossover but I doubt that. Or perhaps it's a little gesture from TLG showing its commitment to this classic theme before it releases POTC.

regardless it's new Pirate media and no doubt some new charater backgrounds. :pir-cry_happy:

If you take note of the cover it says "Readers, Beginning to read. 1" That and the fact that it is only 48 pages and the Age range is 6-8. I'd say it is a small story with large easy words for kids who like LEGO Pirates to learn to read. It would go well with the ever expanding range of school stationary that TLG is bringing out.

This is somewhat like the City Adventures Series #1 - #5 that they have, they are paperback issues, with around 30 - 40 pages. So the same idea but for a slightly older audience.

Nice find. It may be for children, but it suits well to the other topic about the characters and therefore it may be interesting :pir-classic:

And of course it is news, so:[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Edited by Admiral Croissant

I'm really wondering why they're printing this long after all Pirates sets are off the shelves. It's not like the book is going to sell Lego sets. You'd think they would make a Pharaoh's Quest book or Atlantis.

We still have Pirates II on the shelves in Germany. I bought 8 Soldier's Arsenal last week ;-)

I bought this book the other day, and I thought I'd come back to report. There are no new characters in the book, and no new information of note. (Aside from the fact that the pirates believe the mermaid figurehead of the Brickbeard's Bounty brings them luck.) The pictures are all just photographs of the sets with some minimal scenery photoshopped in. There is no story, exactly, it's more like a guide to the 2009 sets. No Imperial Flagship, no POTC. Definitely only for the hardcore Pirates collectors who must have everything. (For better or worse, I fit into this category. ;) )

TC

I'm really wondering why they're printing this long after all Pirates sets are off the shelves. It's not like the book is going to sell Lego sets.

I've read the book and it seemed little more than "A Guide to the 2009 Pirate Sets for kiddies".

As TalonCard has summised the book offers little in the way of new content, so Zeya has raised a good point, why print the book now? It would have been more beneficial to the marketing two and a half years ago.

The pictures are all just photographs of the sets with some minimal scenery photoshopped in.

"Photoshop" is not a noun! :pir-tongue:

But yes, the LEGO images have been digitally manipulated to include background artwork similar in style to the artwork found on the 2009 Pirate boxes. Actually it seems much of the book artwork was recycled from the boxes.

"Photoshop" is not a noun! :pir-tongue:

How about "was digitally manipulated using a program that either is or has functions similar to Adobe Photoshop"? :pir-classic:

TC

Edited by TalonCard

Does It come with a figure? A lot of LEGO books do nowadays.

I don't think it does.

Anyway seems pointless to me releasing it now when POTC is coming out and most places still don't sell the sets. :pir-sceptic: