Sign in to follow this  
Tomcat RIO

Confucius say, man in wooden ship , should not play with fire

thindexedgif.gif 109B

hi all, here with my 3rd moc wip thread on this forum. Chinese junks are rare to find in lego MOC(and they always look good). From where i'm from, they were quite common historical boats in the south east asian seas, plying trade between china, the south china sea, across the indonesia archipelago. having watched POTC and lord Saofeng, i was inspired to make one typical chinese junk for the pirates based in Singapore (trust me Singapore's pirates did not look like that :) )

this is the Qing Long, which translates to Green Dragon. the hull is built on the harrypotter durmstrag ship, for a short and wide hull. too short in my opinion.

DSCN8704.jpg

bamboo ribbed sails were made of simple drawing paper, printed with the design of the lego set emperor's ship, template found right here on the 'master index' forum thread. then holes cut, and stuck on technic poles

DSCN8706.jpg

DSCN8705.jpg

figure head is a dual pair of dragon-crocs on either side, spouting flames..

DSCN8702.jpg

in the center is the ballista shooter from the troll warship set. the ancient chinese had designed lots of siege and naval weaponry without gunpowder since the 3rd cen. BC. and i happened to have it lying around.

DSCN8701.jpg

the primary weapon, with a shorter range than the ballista is the flame catapult from KK2 8873

DSCN8700.jpg

the sides of the junk are 'armour plated', so to speak, using lots of CMF baseplates. i would link them up using green 1X1 studs or long 1 stud width plates when i get them.

DSCN8703.jpg

the plates are attached to the hull using a slope bracket

DSCN8707.jpg

also, the center of the hull has an opening for 2 grille 8x8 plates. i bricked up the rear one, but i'll need one for the front. this is a temporary substitute

DSCN8708.jpg

and some of the crew.. most are dragon knights from 1993, armed with the neo-feudal 19cent. style of longsword and rifles.

DSCN8699.jpg

DSCN8697.jpg

DSCN8695.jpg

however, for the commander, i used the samurai from MF3, as the feudal japanese helmet was similar to those of the late Qing dynasty warlords.

DSCN8696.jpg

DSCN8698.jpg

as you can see behind the lord, is a small yellow prayer altar. Chinese folklore and tradition prayed to a sea spirit to ensure their safety in the seas.. but for the victims of this pirate junk, safety is in doubt.

C and C are welcome! and espeically on the bow of the hull, i need to widen it to make it more 'squarish' like a real junk.

I LOVE THE SAILS!

Nice job, Tomcat.

Unfortunately I'm not an experienced shipbuilder and can't offer help.

Edited by fred67

I'm guessing the colour is due to lack of parts?

Ships are brick intensive even smaller one's.

The first thing I'd do is move the fore mast back a few studs.

here's a good ref pic

chines10.jpg

Edited by TazManiac

I'm guessing the colour is due to lack of parts?

Ships are brick intensive even smaller one's.

The first thing I'd do is move the fore mast back a few studs.

here's a good ref pic

thanks for the opinion Tazmaniac and fred67!

yup- i have a severe lack of brown parts as it is currently used by another project, but if i wished, i can paint the parts brown, though it would not be nice... sigh

as for the red deck and green parts, some of the modern junks i've been on in hongkong have nice carpeted decks, or green/blue and red dragon motifs painted on the wooden sides. i think those are restaurants however, not plundering pirates avast! just trying to mix and match.

yup i will move the foremast back, looking at your picture, seems the bow has quite a steep incline that starts further back amidships compared to those i found on google. will see what i can do..

Edited by Tomcat RIO

with some hilarious turnaround, i decided to set fire to the ship. jump!! argh, the ship is afire!!

no, joking. i am rebuilding the bow and stern sections, following from tazmaniac and more pictures i found on google. and most importantly, more bricks are incoming !!!

DSCN8741.jpg

DSCN8740.jpg

DSCN8739.jpg

DSCN8738.jpg

DSCN8736.jpg

DSCN8737.jpg

Hi everyone, after a long time away I am back! Continued progress on the QingLong. This time, instead of the old harry potter hull, I opted for a full brick built hull, which I can control width and gradient. Parallel sides was cross barred, and created a frame on which the long green bricks were added.

qinglongmk2.jpg

qinglongmk24.jpg

with the MF series black tiles, i added them as a psuedo jumper tile

qinglongmk23.jpg

white bricks added to give a gradient

qinglongmk22.jpg

qinglongmk27.jpg

qinglongmk28.jpg

qinglongmk29.jpg

the bow and stern waterline was finished up with slopes and a 'rudder'

qinglongmk26.jpg

qinglongmk25.jpg

the front of the junk was built with 2 crocodragons spouting flame as seen in the Mk1 version.

Here you can also see the details of the bow section plates and bowsprit areas. Junks have a flat sloping bow above the waterline.

qinglongmk210.jpg

qinglongmk211.jpg

qinglongmk212.jpg

qinglongmk213.jpg

however, after some consideration of the bricks that i own, i decided the white bricks must be saved at all costs for another project, hence replaced with more green bricks. for a final version colour scheme.

qinglongmk214.jpg

In the following pictures you can see my humble attempt to step and gradient the hull from front to back and top to waterline, creating slopes using the standard bricks, without jumper tiles.

qinglongmk215.jpg

qinglongmk216.jpg

qinglongmk218.jpg

qinglongmk219.jpg

qinglongmk220.jpg

qinglongmk217.jpg

The main mast is made of a bracket attached to a swiveling tile, allows the entire assembly to rotate. mast itself is made of 1x8 plates.. I ran out of the standard ship masts..

qinglongmk221.jpg

A trapdoor compartment allows goods to be stored, i need to add a plate base below decks, otherwise the goods will literally fall through the bottom.

qinglongmk222.jpg

The roof is a thachy appearance, will need more plates.

qinglongmk223.jpg

Mistress Qing stands outside the cabin, whose door needs to be replaced soon with a proper opaque one.

qinglongmk225.jpg

the interior is bare at the moment, probably going to return the incense shrine from version1, as well as adding chinese themed ornaments. Any particular Asian-Chinese/Korea/Japanese furniture MOCs to recommend?

qinglongmk224.jpg

that is all for now..

Edited by Tomcat RIO

I like this junk ship very much, probably on the better side of the ones ive seen :thumbup: Keep up the good work!

:pir_bawling::cannon: Haha, thats, a funny combination of faces :pir-laugh:

Edited by Flintlock

Have finalised and almost done with Qinglong v3.0

Changes made were to the cabin and rear deck, rearrange brick layout, more windows and added bamboo shades (painted windows). The Thatched roof replaced with commander deck. Another touch was to attach viking dragon wings to the rear cabin for more appearance like a 'Long'.

qlong209.jpg

qlong202.jpg

qlong2010.jpg

qlong20.jpg

photo taken against a black background for clearer view of the sails.

DSCN7823.jpg

also changed the masts and used pirate tree trunks instead. This resembles bamboo poles more. I wanted to use round 2x2 and 1x1 bricks but ran out, otherwise would have made straighter masts.

An extra Sail also was made and positions shuffled.

qlong204.jpg

qlong201.jpg

More crew is added. And I added a custom minifig Commander who is Guanyu, carrying a big "don't mess with me" 4 barreled pistol. This is just pure fiction,as the general served in the 3rd century AD and never was on a pirate boat.

qlong205.jpg

qlong206.jpg

qlong207.jpg

custom dragon mouth cannons.

qlong203.jpg

Edited by Tomcat RIO