Derfel Cadarn

Fake BSB

Hey guys,

I found this ship for sale at a local shop in my village along with some other sets that were copy's of official Lego sets. I looked it up on the net and found this picture of it. What is odd, that this particular shop is a charity shop that never has toys of any sort, but the shop owner says they now get the whole range of this particular make of building blocks on order. As I know the owner quite well, she actually let me build up the display one for their shop window. The whole build was very similar to the BSB, too similar, and I was surprised at how bad the quality was. I knew the quality wouldn't be as good as Lego's, but this was bad E.G warped bricks, very brittle, some faded colours and terrible instructions. It was a shame to hear that these are actually selling quite well at 40 pounds. Just proves that allthough Lego is more expensive, the quality and style is on another level compared to these cheaper imitations.

Don't be lured in if you see this set, it doesn't come close to Lego.

XgwI.jpg

Ah, the Enlighten sets... i have known this issue a long long time ago, and woudld never buy a big and expensive Enlighten set like this. Only reason to getthese seta would be only those chrome swords for me :pirate_sad2: But that would be pretty much all. So very common issue on these days where everybody are "Copying" Or "Stealing" Their ideas from LEGO, and make the set from cheap plastic. Luckily i havent seen any Enlighten sets in my countrys stores never. :pir-classic: Oh, and some kids who has this set, truly thinks at it is a REAL LEGO set, wich isnt true, and besides, LEGO cant do much anything to stop thes kind of "Copy cats"

Captain Becker

Man, I haven't seen the clone Brand Enlighten in a while. Not, that it is bad that I have not heard much of them lately. I recall seeing this and similar Enlighten sets often on Ebay a few years ago. They really annoyed me as they were no more than blatant copies of the Lego sets I would rather see.

cheap n nasty!

just look at the piece count ....... missing a good 400 bricks to be a BSB :thumbdown:

someone else posted this saying most bricks went straight to the bin such was the quality I think they kept the hull and sails and tossed the rest.

did you get a look at the face prints? I've seen pics of them and they were laughable.

I've seen these on ebay but always from south east Asian regions but looks like they've hit the UK, I would of thought copy right laws would stop these at the boarder.

I DONT SUPPORT CLONE BRANDS IT'S LIKE STEALING FROM LEGO!!

You should tell that store that they are selling a low quality product, and since you're close to them, they might listen to you.

Yuck. :pir-sick:

Although I like the ship displayed on the box! It would be a nice MOC except for those terrible sails.

LEGO though has a high quality product, and I love to pay some extra for it. I don't like faded colours and bricks which fall of eachother when they are supposed to be stuck.

Thanks for informing us DC! :thumbup:

Oh-oh :pir-sick:

I think it has not been a good idea to let Lego loose it's patent on the brick design. It is just abused by chinese low-quality manufacturers who make their money with clueless children and their parents who are tempted by the box art.

Thanks for warning us!

there are lots of that "pirated pirates" :pir-grin:

they usually has bad quality, but i usually like some accesories a bit different like the originals like the captain hat

Do you know, that there are actually TWO BSB clones of Enlighten Company? The showed one is the cheaper one called "Pirate Adventure". There is an other ship, that is called "Black Pearl", that looks exactly like the BSB! Only differences are the polearms, the printed skull at the sails and the minifigs. It is really shocking to me how the "designers" copied BSB without shame! :pir-sick: :

post-10581-129755889573.jpg

Edited by josykay

I have seen this on E-bay- At first glance I was fooled by the Image and the misguided marketing, luckily I discoverd it was a "pirated" theme!

Newb Pirate

Barberini

I saw this for sail on eBay numerous times, and I almost bought it :pir_wacko:

Thanks for reminding me not to buy this crap!

Edited by Ratshot

I have to say the box art looks alright, I can see how this would confuse the normal kids and parents, but then normal kids and parents don't know the difference between megabloks and Lego :hmpf_bad:

Anyways, I myself would never buy any cheap rubbish like that, all my local stores sell Lego. :pir-classic:

Death to the impostor! :pirate_skel1::cannon:

I have seen a ton of these fake Legos on Ebay. It's really annoying when you search for Lego pirates and a quarter of the results seem to be bad quality replicas. It's interesting that the design on the sails is identical to the Pyrates Megablok released a few years ago.

Someone who knew I was into the Pirate Legos found me a set... and this is what it turned out to be:

IMAG0519.jpg

To say that the pieces are inferior is an understatement. The Pieces, the Plastic, the color, even the box... I don't know how they manage to avoid copyright issues. Not only are they an obvious rip off of "LEGO" style building blocks, but the sets are exact coppies of Lego Sets! The instructions are duplicated lego instructions with the LEGO removed, and ENLIGHTEN put up...

Even in low light, with a low res camera, you can tell which figures are REAL lego,

IMAG0517.jpg

Notice how they've used all of the LEGO faces, and even individual figures...

I've got the real version to this set, I'll have to set them up side by side and see what's different!

i saw this set in 2006 in this same forum.

It's curious the photo of the box is a photo of the original lego set.

Of course, only the pirate of the right is real LEGO. But i must admit i like the brilliant blades, the brown bandana and the yellow parrot as curious accesories, specially the blades

I've got the real version to this set, I'll have to set them up side by side and see what's different!

Even a child can tell at the faces are different, the torsos are different and also the plastic feels different. plus, in real LEGO set havent been any Chrome swords. Chrome swords are only good thing in Enlighten sets.

Captain Becker

I DONT SUPPORT CLONE BRANDS IT'S LIKE STEALING FROM LEGO!!

That's pretty interesting considering that LEGO was conceived based on ANOTHER TOY. So what did LEGO do?

That's pretty interesting considering that LEGO was conceived based on ANOTHER TOY. So what did LEGO do?

LEGO, although they did take the idea, perfected it. While the basis for the LEGO brick was based on something else, it was a completely fresh and new idea on the subject.

This, however, is blantantly cloning LEGO. Not comparable at all.

Sorry, flying visit, but: Enlighten are not Clones, they are bootleggers. A clone is a legitimate company's products that combine and compliment Lego products. A bootleg is a brand (or many) that rips off the designs of legitimate manufacturers and utilise brand confusion (hence the "brick" in a red square logo) to shift fake, poor quality copies at a low price. This is why you will find a set that is an exact copy of an older Lego product but with terrible quality.

i saw this set in 2006 in this same forum.

It's curious the photo of the box is a photo of the original lego set.

Of course, only the pirate of the right is real LEGO. But i must admit i like the brilliant blades, the brown bandana and the yellow parrot as curious accesories, specially the blades

In place of muskets (like lego) they use the same casting as the Western rifle, only make it brown...

LEGO, although they did take the idea, perfected it. While the basis for the LEGO brick was based on something else, it was a completely fresh and new idea on the subject.

This, however, is blantantly cloning LEGO. Not comparable at all.

Sorry, flying visit, but: Enlighten are not Clones, they are bootleggers. A clone is a legitimate company's products that combine and compliment Lego products. A bootleg is a brand (or many) that rips off the designs of legitimate manufacturers and utilise brand confusion (hence the "brick" in a red square logo) to shift fake, poor quality copies at a low price. This is why you will find a set that is an exact copy of an older Lego product but with terrible quality.

Agreed... Very few things have ever been created that did not have some inspiration from a previous concept, but that does not mean they were "ripped off" Henry Ford didn't invent the automobile, he made it so people could afford it. Bill Gates didn't invent computers, and Edison didn't invent electrictity. There is,however, a difference in Cloning and Coppyright infringement...

So did they cover it up as best as they could. :pir-sick:

I believe it was a quite aquisition of the copyrights and patents during a (succesful) attempt to sue a competitor that was making bricks, but that is besides the point these days.