Mister Phes

WORK IN PROGRESS: Imperial Armada Presidio

Here's a quick picture of my next MOC. I realise the picture isn't very good but I seem to have run out of time to take and edit some decent ones. I spent hours working on the MOC which isn't quite finished yet but I wanted to have something to post before I go to bed. So here it is!

test.jpg

Wow! Mr. Phes, my good friend I always thought you couldn't MOC. Well I have been proven very wrond..Ohh yes, very wrong! It looks absolutley stunning, the use of gray and not white. Or black for that matter. Mr. Phes you never seem to impress, using those plants from kk2 (I'm also a big fan of those plants) The ones stud ones thata is. I can not wait for more picture! Yes please.

Edit: Now that I look closely that gate in the center top with two 1x2 plates going unto the one stud plants...I would replace those two 1x2 plates with one 1x6 plate. Might look nice.

Edit: One more idea is to use the same color of gray everywhere, for I can pic out the new and old grays in there. But if its a lack of pieces thats fine, or of course if it is purpously done to attain a certain look of real rock.

Im done.

IMPERIALS!!!!

Good MOC. Sort of like an armada version of the guard outpost. But better!!!!! Good job and keep up the good work!

I'm loving this Phes, looks like it could be an official lego set! (from what I know of Pirate stuff). It's shaping up really well, I can't wait to see some more pics.

One more idea is to use the same color of gray everywhere, for I can pic out the new and old grays in there. But if its a lack of pieces thats fine, or of course if it is purpously done to attain a certain look of real rock.

There are only old greys however I don't think the picture clearly displays this - better pictures should be available within 24 hours. If you look closely at Armada Sentry you'll see light grey above the door and near the floor...

6244-1.jpg

Click here to see a better image of Armada Sentry

I was using this as a reference when building my MOC.. It also needs a name, anyone got any ideas?

Mr. Phes, your latest creation is a nice expansion of the Armada Sentry. It looks like the pirates have it in for the Spanish guards. >:-) The moc does have a quaint TLC style that was so abundant back in the 80's, but now I suppose it would have a flashier background and some horrendous wall piece instead of bricks... :-P

Overall, nice work!

The only name I could fabricate is Sentries' Outpost. :-P

Here's a quick picture of my next MOC

*y*

I like it a lot.

This should be an official set!

It's a really good expansion on the Armada sentry set.

The structure and look of the building makes it look like a headquarters for the Armada.

Maybe the admiral's headquaters or something?

I can just picture an admiral standing on the top balcony directing his troops.

hey phes, we should have a battle, of who is the best photoshopper !!!

http://eurobricks.hosting.ipsyn.com/eurofo...?showtopic=5127

i'll withhold final opinions for when the final photos are up, a good photo can make all the difference !!!

however, i would suggest moving the pirate boat so that its not covering up half of the building !!! id like to see it all !!!

- brickminer

One more idea is to use the same color of gray everywhere, for I can pic out the new and old grays in there. But if its a lack of pieces thats fine, or of course if it is purpously done to attain a certain look of real rock.

When I was building the MOC I noticed a definite lack of black and grey generic pieces which did pose some design limitations. I probably would have used more grey if the pieces were available to me

hey phes, we should have a battle, of who is the best photoshopper !!!

http://eurobricks.hosting.ipsyn.com/eurofo...?showtopic=5127

You'd win hands down because I don't use Photoshop :-D

i'll withhold final opinions for when the final photos are up, a good photo can make all the difference !!!

Yes, as I was explaining this to John Cleese in the thread of his latest MOC, but problem is I don't have a very good digital camera. Its actually the still image feature of a video camera and as we know (don't we?) therefore it cannot produce images as nice as a dedicated still image camera. So its a matter of taking many images experimenting with different camera settings, lighting conditions and angles to get a nice collection. Only problem is that takes time!

i would suggest moving the pirate boat so that its not covering up half of the building !!! id like to see it all !!!

Yes, that was a concern of mine when taking the picture but as I wanted to get to bed as soon as possible I thought I'd deal with this issue later. What I'll probably do is take pictures of the boats seperately and add them afterwards which will give me greater flexibility and make it easier to give them individual shadows.

You'd win hands down because I don't use Photoshop
oh, my mistake, i just assumed.. so what do you use ??? have you tried photoshop, and choose not to use it. i mean, is their another raster program you like better for adding backgrounds to your MOCs ??? im very curious !!!

I prefer to use Macromedia's Fireworks because I think it handles vector and raster images better. What I like most about it is its "Live Effects" capability which allows me to apply effects, textures, etc. straight onto vector objects and be able to change this at any time without needing to rasterize the object. I realise the later versions of Photoshop can do this to some degree by applying an effect to the layer which the object sits but its nowhere near as flexible as Fireworks.

These days Fireworks can do almost everything Photoshop can do (including support its plugins) so there's no need for me to have both programs installed.

Yes, as I was explaining this to John Cleese in the thread of his latest MOC

and in doing so you made mr.Cleese all the more wiser. I love the picture and the moc. However when i imagined this set on a floor without a backround i wasn't as impressed. Its an excellent moc, but people are saying things like this should be a set, when they havent even seen more than one pic. I would need to see some up close pictures showing it's design before imaking such a statement myself. However i still think it's an excellent moc done by a superb moc'er. I wish i could photo edit like this but alas i am a noob in this area.

Nobody has said my MOC is THAT good and I wouldn't expect them to. I'm not quite pleased with it yet and I think I'll do a bit more work on it before taking more pictures. It needs more features and interesting details because there's nothing overly special about it apart from the fact that its an Imperial Armada structure roughly the same size as Lagoon Lockup and Imperial Outpost.

However, the picture I've provided is absolutely HORRIBLE!!! It makes me want to go out and buy a decent still image camera right away, but alas, there are other things that need to be aquired first.

anyway please read my attempt at secretly editing my reply as the first one i felt sounded harsh in my opinion. All i meant was i would need to see some up close pics of the structure before saying it should be a set. I didnt mean to offend you phes but im just giving my opinion like everyone else.

You haven't offended me in the slightest and there was no need to edit your post. Change it back to how you had it if you like. As I mentioned in your thread when you put your work on display then its subject to public scrutiny and at times people can write very scathing comments - a lot worse than what you wrote!

I don't think I've mentioned this to you but I study Fine Arts at university and as a requirment of my courses I must present my work in front of an audience who will give feedback. It was only a couple of weeks ago I had an international artist tell me that the soundtrack to my latest short film was a complete joke. And this is an accomplished artist mind you and not a student, but its just an opinion so there was no need to be insulted by it. I actually agree with him and he opened my eyes to different possibilites. So sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind...

I need to see more pictures before I can comment. I will check back in. Right now it is looking fair to good with some nice detail, plenty on action and figures. The sails on the rowboat seem overkill for such a tiny craft.

I prefer to use Macromedia's Fireworks because I think it handles vector and raster images better.
sounds like fireworks is much more similar to Adobe Illustrator, being able to handle both raster and vector images with effects.

however, i admit to not knowing to much about macromedia software... im a straight adobe man !!! im just too used to the controls of adobe... its kinda like when you learn one of their programs you learn them all. and that makes it easy to go from photoshop to illustrator and back to photoshop without chaninging any quick keys, or general placement of controls...

i do admit, you do have to have a couple programs instaled when using adobe products... that is, if you want all features of image creation/editing. but thats no hinderance to me !!!

The sails on the rowboat seem overkill for such a tiny craft.
tell that to LEGO !!! as that is a pretty standard sail set up for them. more over, i think phes is going for a lego-esque building style here... if any item on this MOC hits that on the mark, its the pirate boat (as it is taken right from 6278) !!! and that is not to be taken negative phes... i would defintely use that sail set up on my pirate rowboat, if an MOC called for it.

i think it is fitting here.

- BM

sounds like fireworks is much more similar to Adobe Illustrator, being able to handle both raster and vector images with effects.

I'd say its closer to Photshop but with many of the advantages of Illustrator...

however, i admit to not knowing to much about macromedia software... im a straight adobe man !!! im just too used to the controls of adobe... its kinda like when you learn one of their programs you learn them all. and that makes it easy to go from photoshop to illustrator and back to photoshop without chaninging any quick keys, or general placement of controls...

The interface Macromedia uses for it programs was so similiar to Adobe interface, that Adobe sued them! Macromedia programs also share most of the same short cut keys and the Abode programs.

The sails on the rowboat seem overkill for such a tiny craft.
tell that to LEGO !!! as that is a pretty standard sail set up for them. more over, i think phes is going for a lego-esque building style here... if any item on this MOC hits that on the mark, its the pirate boat (as it is taken right from 6278) !!! and that is not to be taken negative phes... i would defintely use that sail set up on my pirate rowboat, if an MOC called for it.

This particular boat is taken straight out of Enchanted Island and is 100% identical. Since I don't have a working printer I can't design custom sails at the moment, unless I do them by hand and I don't think I could capture the LEGO style doing them that way. Actually, I was wondering if it would work better if I replaced the hull with the hull from Captain Cragg's Boat. The sails would probably look too small then!

The interface Macromedia uses for it programs was so similiar to Adobe interface, that Adobe sued them!
HA !!! did they get a settlement ???
Actually, I was wondering if it would work better if I replaced the hull with the hull from Captain Cragg's Boat.
i think that is the same boat from the adventurers line, right ??? if so, i'd like to see it !!! i almost bought one for the same reasons when i was MOCing pirates, just to try it out...

however, i got into WW MOCing before i bought one...

- BrickMiner

Not sure how Macromedia and Adobe settled things but the outcome caused Macromedia to improve their interface slightly yet its still very similiar.

As for the larger boat... I don't have one at the moment, so that will have to wait. However, the building looks too elegant to be a military building so I dare say this design would be more suited to Governor Broadside's Mansion - with a few modifications...

However, the building looks too elegant to be a military building so I dare say this design would be more suited to Governor Broadside's Mansion - with a few modifications...
i agree with all of this.

Slighty problem is I need some female mini-figure torso which I don't have! Also these blinkin assignments come first... So I guess I was lying when I said there would be more images within 24 hours!

Hey Phes, Great work! This was top of my reply list before I went AWOL.. I like the expanded Armarda sentry feel to it, also the colour scheme and excellent fig choice. My complaints would centre around it's size, I prefer 'real' fig scale (ie the scale of most of my brickshelf gallery/less airy) as opposed to Lego fig scale (which I think your MOC fits quite closely with). That saidif this was a set I would be queing up at 4am to be first in for the lot...

Thanks for sharing and God Bless,

Nathan

Alas, the majority of my MOCs are going to be "LEGO fig scale" for I am most interested in exploring possibilities for the Pirate theme that The LEGO Company did not. However, this is only a prototype and it has evolved into this Governor Broadside's Mansion

Alas, the majority of my MOCs are going to be "LEGO fig scale" for I am most interested in exploring possibilities for the Pirate theme that The LEGO Company did not. However, this is only a prototype and it has evolved into this Governor Broadside's Mansion

That's a shame... but I would like to point out (as I've just added to the other thread) that the original models always impliied more than just themselves... lego londged for a bigger scale ;-)

God Bless,

Nathan